Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Tommy! You sure have our done yourself this time!!! Wow! I just love the photos of the airport!!! That has got to be the most comprehensive shots of the airport yet!!! Sweet! Often times, we neglect the airport, but what a gem it has turned out to be! You didn't get yelled at by any security for doing so did ya? Wow! Thanks a ton! The MSS is just beautiful! I love the architecture! Very well done, my friend. Very good! Love the photos!

I commented on the train station photos in the Southern Photos of the Day thread, but I haven't seen these airport photos yet. Another big 'wow!' You have to understand, I've never visited Richmond so I had no idea how big and beautiful that city really is. You guys have a very impressive airport and train station, as well as your skyline and Canal Walk area. That city actually reminds me, in some photos, A LOT of St. Louis. That is certainly something to be proud of, without a doubt.

To be fair to Richmond, I've never been anywhere in the northeast; but if I ever do make it up that way I'd actually like to check out both Richmond and Norfolk.

Eric, I'm so glad you were among the first to see Tommy's airport pix.

Tommy, you have completed every assignment you've given yourself with flying colors. We need to pin medals on your jacket. Wonderful!!

Now, your next assignment, if you choose to accept.....is to bring more trains into MSS. :thumbsup:

Thank you all so much! I'm glad everyone enjoyed the tour. Thanks for stopping by, Brian, as Ive much enjoyed reading your kind comments of Richmond :)

The pictures of RIC really do little justice to make you get the true feel for it. The overall size of that terminal is absolutely IMMENSE. To get the full effect, you would have to be standing in it in person. It is wild though, who knew that what we had before could be turned and expanded into what we have now.

Haha, Burt. I thought me trying to find a good spot for the Grand Illumination would be hard to do!

Edited by TBurban

Okay guys, some pics from Saturday while I was home. I was planning to take more but my trip was cut short. Anyways, here they are :thumbsup:

Starting off in Carytown:

Richmond11-25-2006001.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006002.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006003.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006004.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006005.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006006.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006007.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006008.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006009.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006010.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006011.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006012.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006013.jpg

The 5-Star, 5-Diamond Jefferson Hotel

Richmond11-25-2006014.jpg

Radisson paint job

Richmond11-25-2006015.jpg

Some shots of VCU's Monroe Park Campus Expansion

Richmond11-25-2006016.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006017.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006018.jpg

Richmond11-25-2006019.jpg

Phase II revving up

Richmond11-25-2006020.jpg

Part II of III coming soon :)

Super-dooper-dooper. I love those busy shots of Carytown with its unique shops. And the facade of the Byrd is outstanding.

I wish they would bury all overhead wiring in Richmond. Maybe now that the VCU Monroe Campus is rising, they will get rid of the overheads along Main Street - especially in front of the 5-star Jefferson. And someday perhaps the Jefferson will develop and beautify the parking lot across from the Main Street entrance.

In the next shot, it looks as if the Radisson (a block west of The Jefferson on Franklin) has added a rear wing, or maybe they have just cleaned up the old. Incidentally, the Radisson will soon be a Doubletree.

Edited by burt

Do you know how much pleasure it gives me to see people in the parks and on the streets? I think the National Folk Festival has made area residents aware of downtown's attractions.

Boats are needed on the canal. If the bureaucracy that controls it cannot operate them, they should at least open up the Haxall portion to private boaters.

Next Friday night the reindeer at James Center will be lit up along with 15 skyscrapers. Tommy is going to be on hand to video tape it. Where do you think he should set up, Coupe, for maximum coverage?

Are the floating penguins in the atrium of James Center?

I count 9 floors above the five-level parking garage at Vistas. Does that mean there are four floors to go before topping out?

Did you peek into Canal Cafe in the freight depot? I wonder when it will open?

PS, Coupe. I'm so glad you are captioning your pictures.

PPS. Wonderful pix as usual, Coupe. What kind of implement did you find that can improve your already top-flight pictures?

Edited by burt

Thanks guys, it was a great day. I saw tons of license plates from other states, so I think people were taking their out of town guests into town. The parking lot at Tredegar was nearly full (AND they were charging $3 to park). There was no parking for Belle Isle left. I had to park half way up 5th street and walk down and only because I got lucky finding a spot!

There's already a building on Brown's Island that could sell tickets for Canal boat rides so I don't know why they don't do it unless they think the journey is too short.

The floating penguins were in the James Center Atrium (very awesome inside, I always enjoy walking through) which is totally decked out and ready for next weekend. I also was glad to see that a few of the retail spaces in there were open on the weekends and not just during the week.

I noticed that work has begun on the Canal Cafe place, though they still have a while to go.

Aaaannnnnd Santa Claus is bringing Coupe a new camera for Christmas :)

Thanks guys, it was a great day. I saw tons of license plates from other states, so I think people were taking their out of town guests into town. The parking lot at Tredegar was nearly full (AND they were charging $3 to park). There was no parking for Belle Isle left. I had to park half way up 5th street and walk down and only because I got lucky finding a spot!

There's already a building on Brown's Island that could sell tickets for Canal boat rides so I don't know why they don't do it unless they think the journey is too short.

The floating penguins were in the James Center Atrium (very awesome inside, I always enjoy walking through) which is totally decked out and ready for next weekend. I also was glad to see that a few of the retail spaces in there were open on the weekends and not just during the week.

I noticed that work has begun on the Canal Cafe place, though they still have a while to go.

Aaaannnnnd Santa Claus is bringing Coupe a new camera for Christmas :)

The Tredegar lot doesn't charge to park IF you buy a ticket to the American Civil War Center and get it validated. You can leave your car there all day while walking the canal.

Edited by burt

Great job everybody! Richmond is a great looking city with many nice looking places!

Where exactly is Carytown ??

When did they begin construction on the Vistas on the James? It's coming along nicely.

Thanks, Richy! Oh gosh...I cant remember what date construction started on Vistas, but this was taken....

February 2006

441735eb9.jpg

November 2006

DSC06876.jpg

Carytown is a neat little part of Richmond, known for its unique restaurants and shops. Its a few miles from the CBD.

Thanks!

Here's a map to help out on Carytown:

Live Local Map

Carytown is several city blocks (about 1 mile) of about 300+ retail shops, restaurants, and offices. There are very few chains there, which gives it a lot of funky character. The Carytown Merchants Association has a new website that is still under construction, but it has some neat pictures up so far http://www.carytown.org/

Vistas construction began earlier this year.