Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

You basically have it down. Va War Memorial, State Capitol (when it's finished), maybe some sites in Manchester, Powhatan Hill Park.... but hidden stuff, what kind of pictures are you trying to do? Because there are a lot of historical places that are hidden but they are also private residences or properties.

Well, basically modeling shots. I hate taking pictures of the typical studio photos, and i like to include nature, and even historic themes to my photos. I rather have a rundown fire truck instead of a stool..

Awesome photos Cadeho. I am definitely digging the Suburban "Overlook" shot. From where is it taken?

The city is truly taking shape. I was able to make it to Richmond for a day trip on Sunday. I was very impressed, as were my guests who had made it their first trip to Richmond.

Each time I take someone new, they seem to fall in love with the place and it's grit. It truly makes me appreciate coming up in such a beautifully gritty city. They are all Carolinians, and thus they're used to swamped suburbua. They all seem to think that, besides New York, everywhere in America is like this.

So they were surprised at our seemingly endless rows of houses/businesses etc., I say all of this to say: We have a LOT to be proud of.

WooHOO Richmond!

P.S. BOoHoO to those very unimpressive roads. This was everyone's gripe.

Tommy, were you standing on someone's shoulders to get the overhead shots of the Monument 10K crowds? All of the pix are excellent! And you managed to get all but two (VCU dorms) of the high rises facing Monroe Park. My favorite is The Prestwould Apartment building.

Cam, The iron fence and green sloping hill look neat at 31st and Grace.

The pit bull looks as if he would have liked a piece of you for lunch. :lol:

I loved the shots of the shad fishers out on the river.

I and two old friends (and I use the word "old" literally) attended the Reconcilliation festivities.We stood on the slanted knob near the monument but our feet wore out about half-way thru the ceremony and we had to give up. I went back Sunday to view the unveiled monument and was really impressed.

Edited by burt

Tommy, I found a picture of it. If you can remember, I tried looking it up and couldn't really find a good picture, but here's the Richmond Centre from a 1998 Times-Dispatch. But I didn't know they would demolish it.

RichmondCtr.jpg

Oh and this was also from a 1998 T-D.

MGre.jpg

Edited by Cadeho

Thanks guys. My camera is probably nearing its useful end. It gave me loads of problems Sunday and Monday (my first observation deck pics). I'm sorry Burt, I was rushing to get back to my aunt's and my batteries were also about to die. The house I took those pics from is in Church Hill and newly constructed... although I am very much interested in it, I could never afford it. It was $479,000 when I first priced it! It hasn't come down much. :unsure:

Does anyone have a picture of the Washington Building on Capitol Square?

I have just read about it, and am dying to see a photograph...I would give a special wish and a super nice thought to anyone who could take and post a really good photograph of this awesome building.

Welcome, New Towner. Take a look at Cadeho's pix dated 4/22 above on this page. I believe the picture 2nd from the bottom (or 23rd from the top) is The Washington Building.

Reading your profile, I note that you were inquiring of Charleston about attractive parking garages. I can think of three in Richmond that fall in that category -- one is on East Franklin Street between 8th and 9th, another across from Beth Ahaba Synagogue in the 1100 block of West Franklin. And the grandaddy of them all which was restored in recent years -- Richmond Garage on Sixth at Franklin. I believe you could find, if willing to search, photos of them all among Richmond pictures on this forum.

Edited by burt