Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Part II

21.Miller and Rhoads which is becoming a Hilton brand hotel with condos... I liked the berry burk sign's shadow

Richmond12-30-2006021.jpg

22. Centerstage...2009

Richmond12-30-2006022.jpg

23. Federal Courthouse (left) is looking good

Richmond12-30-2006023.jpg

24.Looking up one of the Verizon buildings

Richmond12-30-2006024.jpg

25. 8th between Franklin and Grace... these storefronts look recently painted

Richmond12-30-2006025.jpg

26. The 8th and Main Bldg

Richmond12-30-2006026.jpg

27. Along Main st in the Financial District

Richmond12-30-2006027.jpg

28. Main Street Centre (Verizon Tower)

Richmond12-30-2006028.jpg

29. Capital Ale House

Richmond12-30-2006029.jpg

Richmond12-30-2006030.jpg

31. looking inside where the expansion will be

Richmond12-30-2006031.jpg

32. Sits across from where Centennial tower will rise, 6th and Main

Richmond12-30-2006032.jpg

33. 6 North 6th St... becoming apartments, many units look about finished... you can see lights on in the next shot

Richmond12-30-2006033.jpg

Richmond12-30-2006034.jpg

35. To become Centennial Tower

Richmond12-30-2006035.jpg

36. Some Main St urban canyon

Richmond12-30-2006036.jpg

Richmond12-30-2006037.jpg

New Market HQ

Richmond12-30-2006038.jpg

Again, looking back at the skyline with the parking lot in the foreground that will be MWV's HQ

Richmond12-30-2006039.jpg

That's all I got, so hope you enjoy :thumbsup:

So glad you put numbers on these pix, Coupe.

1. no comment.

2. What are the white "booties" at the base of the four corners of Fed Reserve?

3. The new American War Museum in the old Tredegar building on the Canal near 5th street. Detractors may say what they will about the failed Valentine Riverside which occupied old buildings at Tredegar for a short while. But the Valentine Museum project brought activity and interest to a forlorn area of town. The National Park Service operates a fascinating display in one of the buildings and now The American Civil War Museum has injected more life into the Riverfront.

4. Grrrrrrr. There they are, the flag poles -- naked as ever!!! :angry::angry:

5. Don't Canada Geese EVER go south?

6. no comment.

7. This is a terrific shot of Vistas from the west.

8. Someday the Downtown Expressway will be flanked by a taller James Center 3 and a tower on the Alcoa property.

9. Reynolds Metals donated this building to The Richmond Ballet at 5th and Canal Streets. It's one of the largest professional ballet studio buildings outside of New York. Whoever the Ballet employed as architect did wonderful things for the lines of the building. It has its own studio theatre on the top floor.

10. & 11. Great old ante bellum houses on South 5th Street. I'm not absolutely sure about this, but Edgar Allan Poe may have grown up in one of them. Mr. Allan, Poe's foster father, had a house on south 5th.

12. Pollard & Bagby, it is said, handles leasing for some Chamberlayne Avenue property owned by Councilman Pantele that has caused discomfort to neighbors. It seems the tenants get a bit unruly and boisterous.

13. I've always liked this midrise at northeast corner of 5th and Main. Note the dental design under its cornice. It may have been a hotel when built, but maybe not.

14. This early 1800's pentagonal house at northwest corner of 5th and Main was home to a quaint bookstore in its basement for years.

15. The old YWCA is an attractive building. I like the pair of curved stairways. It is just south of Penny Lane Pub on 5th betweeen Franklin and Main.

16. The Free Press is Richmond's prime African American newspaper. This building formerly was home to Universal Leaf. Northwest corner of 5th and Franklin.

17. An upscale restaurant called Manhattan's as well as The Cotton Club occupy the old Lane Bryant pregnant women's store on 5th between Grace and Franklin. Wouldn't you think the restaurant and club would have the sign removed or relettered? The little brick house with the garretts is charming. I don't know anything about it, but I'm sure it is not old.

18. What is the future of Hotel John Marshall?

19. Richmond's finest dress shop back in the good old days - Montaldo's at n/w corner of 5th and Grace.

20. Coupe, this is a real discovery! :thumbsup: Did anyone else know this plaque is there?

21. Others say work is underway at Miller & Rhoads converting the building to hotel use. Mmmmmmm?

22. Old Loew's Theatre at n/e corner of 6th and Grace was converted to The Virginia Center for Performing Arts about 1983, then renamed as The Carpenter Center for the Performiong Arts. Work is about to begin on major renovation and it will reopen late 2009 or early 2010 as The Carpenter Theatre. It, together with an adjacent surviving Thalhimer building will be known as Richmond Centerstage. The original Loew's marquee wrapping around the curved facade will be restored.

23. Coupe, I wish you had snapped a shot from the 7th and Broad perspective. I understand that stone facing is going up on the steel atrium frame.

24. No comment.

25. It's so refreshing to see these 8th Street building between Franklin and Main getting cosmetic attention.

26. Hmmmm. The Merrill Lynch Tower at 8th and Main. Seems to me I know someone who works there. And I think Jemal owns the midrise on n/w corner of Main and 8th.

27. The Financial District canyon. I like the stately old building on the right -- the one with the big arched front.

28. No comment.

29., 30. & 31. Capital Ale House in its original site and also the building into which it will expand. I have heard that the Cabaret will be in the basement and the beer garden in the rear.

32. This 10-story building at n/w corner of 6th and Main is directly across from the proposed Centennial Tower. It appears to be occupied, but I think it could become a small residential tower.

33. & 34. When I visited last fall, this old Presbyterial Book Store building was almost finished. I wonder if the new apartments are occupied? It's on 6th between Franklin and Main.

35. Centennial site. Commercial space, condos, offices and a Courtyard by Marriott Hotel in a 20-story tower coming soon. I certainly hope and pray it escapes the problems Granby Tower in Norfolk is experiencing.

36. A great view of the Financial Grand Canyon that is known as Main Street.

37. I'm curious about this empty lot at n/w corner of 6th and Cary. I believe Shak said that the white building further up 6th will be demolished to make way for Centennial.

38. No comment.

39. This is a great view of the Federal Reserve parking lot that will be known as Foundry Park. The new Fed garage will go up along Byrd Street and Mead WestVaco's modest tower will rise parallel to 7th street. At least, that's the way it appears to me in renderings.

The End.

(PS: My "no comments" simply mean that there is nothing to say about the pictures -- not that they aren't pleasant to view :) )

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.

Edited by burt

Thanks for the comments guys...

Burt- Those "booties" around the Fed Reserve are actually there to conceal whatever kind of renovation they are doing on the ground level. The Fed is secretive about EVERYTHING, even renovation work.

For comment 13, regarding the buildings original use... I actually ran into a man that is in the congregation of the church next door which uses the building for offices. He was nice and pretty informative.. anyways, he said it was originally built as an apartment building, then converted to office space. Then the church purchased it for different uses, however they only use the first 3 floors. He said the church was planning on converting the upper floors to apartments or office space, but probably apartments because insurance and fire regulation reasons.

I heard we might hear of change on the John Marshall's status...

The large arched building on Main is the HQ for the Middleburg Trust Company. The interior is as awesome as the exterior.

thanks!

Coupe, can you share what you are hearing about the future of The John Marshall.

Tommy: All of your photos from City Hall Observation Deck are really exciting. I know you were disappointed that the weather didn't cooperate. One of my favorites is the shot of the CNB tower and midtown. It is the 12th pic from the top.

And, llike the rendering, the Fed CH Broad Street frontage gives the photographic impression that the building only has a few levels (#10 from the top). We know, of course, that it actually rises as high as neighboring Murphy's Hotel; and views from 8th and Grace and 7th and Broad show the immensity of the structure.

You also have an excellent shot of the filled-in hole between 6th and 7th on Broad.

The more I look at it, the more I wish the Broad Street portion of Miller & Rhoads Hilton would build a set-back tower rising above the facade.

This forum is so lucky to have Coupe, Tommy and Cam to pohotographically record city progress. Now, I'm looking forward to Elon's shots from the top of Bank of America.

Edited by burt

This forum is so lucky to have Coupe, Tommy and Cam to pohotographically record city progress. Now, I'm looking forward to Elon's shots from the top of Bank of America.

They'll be coming soon! I've have to do it during the work day and I'm trying to find time! Today would've been a pretty nice day to do it!

Shame on the people wanting to make it a house instead of returning movies to the ENTIRE EAST END. Maybe the Robinson Theater? At least keep them up like Highland Springs does the Henrico, which is lit up at night even though it stopped operation.

One of my projects this year would be to reorganize my pictures, so it may mean that most may not work. I want to upload all of them in chronological order. I'm not sure when I will start this, but since my schedule now is from 3PM to 12AM until January 3, 2008 or until I find another job, I may take pics everyday before work depending on the weather. On the rainy/cloudy days, I may dig into the deeds again to create a more accurate map of Richmond's neighborhoods (something the city itself does not know how to do). So, just some things to look out for.

Burt I still owe you those Byrd Park fountain at night pics, I may need to upload them... Coupe those sunset pics...

BGW, are these recent photos of The East End Theatre? When I was in Richmond in October, there was no activity whatsoever going on at the site. Maybe the couple who wanted to transform it into a home are no longer a couple -- or perhaps, they have changed their plans.

The Henrico Theatre in Highland Springs is undergoing conversion to a performing arts center. Exterior work has been completed for some time and I heard that it was expected to open in spring of this year.

BGW, are these recent photos of The East End Theatre? When I was in Richmond in October, there was no activity whatsoever going on at the site. Maybe the couple who wanted to transform it into a home are no longer a couple -- or perhaps, they have changed their plans.

According to the info on Flickr, they were taken on Dec. 30th. The building is back on the market, the previous owners having abandoned their plans to turn it into their residence.

According to the info on Flickr, they were taken on Dec. 30th. The building is back on the market, the previous owners having abandoned their plans to turn it into their residence.
WOW! What a project! Hopefully someone with determination and deep pockets will finish the renovation. How about a dance hall or reperatory theater? Thanks for the inside look, BGW.

Those are awesome! Perfect time of the day too.

Thank you! I wish I could've gotten out there earlier in the day with that crisp blue sky we had!!!! I have a bunch of others, but none I want to post on my site to sell, but I'll try and post here tomorrow. It was kind of scary grabbing the 4 shots that I posted on my site, I acutally had to lean over the edge of the building from 26 floors up!!!!

Hopefully the "Above Richmond" gallery will grow a bit. I may shell out the money to hire a helicopter for a couple hours!

Thanks for all the compliments from everyone!

Edited by elonpride