Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Excellent set, Coupe. And contrary to Cam, you know I love to see people in pictures; makes a city look like a city and not a cemetary. What's more they lend a time line identity for future viewers.

Photo #67 of the Patrick Henry Building (former State library). The State Supreme Court is in the old Federal Reserve Building facing Capitol Square on 9th at Franklin. Now that the Patrick Henry is no longer the temporary Capitol, I don't know to what use it has been assigned.

The Houdon Statue of George Washington in the Capitol is much copied, but this is the priceless original.

Photo #90 is, I believe, an old wall to St. Peter's Rectory which was demolished in fairly recent years.

Sob. :cry: No pix from anybody of the National under restoration.

More comments later.

Edited by burt

Sorry Burt, there's not much to see other than open windows and lots of plywood surrounding the exterior of the structure. When I walked by though, there was definitely a LOT of work going on there. My battery was running low so I had to be a little selective towards the end.

Now that one will impress Burt!

Damn! I know I typed out a message to source telling him how special the aerial shot of the National is to me. It must be out there in the ether.

Anyway, thanks again, source.

PS: I love Coupe's #84 of the Fed CH as seen from around 6th and Broad. The landscaping, trees, scale and architectural variety of buildings is quickly transforming that stretch of Broad into something resembling a handsome Boulevard.

Looking forward to the next page for your treats, Tommy. This is post #556. Isn't a new page supposed to rollover after a certain number?

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

How about those storms last night?

DSCF0416.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0426.jpg

DSCF0438.jpg

DSCF0459.jpg

DSCF0461.jpg

Again sorry for the blurriness, it was dark and on the go, plus the rain and the wind were hitting me pretty hard and this was inside the car for the last few pics.

The first ones were while driving. The others are blurry because it was dark and I wasn't using a tripod. Plus the rain and wind were hitting me. Those lights on City Hall... although tacky, are supposed to be permanent... I'd rather have them backlight the panels on the top and maybe outline it like the James Center Wachovia's building.

• 3 weeks later...

More photos to come. I keep getting this error:

Sorry, but when your post merges with your previous post, you will have used too many images in your combined posts

More pics...

Richmond_Pics032.jpg

Richmond_Pics043.jpg

Richmond_Pics044.jpg

Richmond_Pics035.jpg

Richmond_Pics037.jpg

My touch at being an artist (favorite picture also)...

Richmond_Pics040.jpg

Then a bird landed on General Lee's head...

Richmond_Pics041.jpg

good pics.. are they changing the bulb of that light post in picture two?

Dang it you beat me to it. That was my favorite image. I love it when something is askew in a photo that makes you wonder about the maintenance in such a nice place...

JSI were the boats running when you were down at the canal?

Terrific sets of pix, JSI.

A few comments:

#7. This is part of the Right of Way for my Rocketts landing/Tredegar trolley. :)

#9. Wonder what the new windows will look like in Canal Loft Apartments? And let's hope the city streetscapes Cary Street in that area to match what they've done in front of Tobacco Row even though this block is inside the flood wall.

#16. Imagine!! A fountain in Richmond that actually flows -- feeble as it is. The City Fountain Czar obviously has not yet discovered Libby Hill or he would be up there with a turn-off wrench!

#23. I love the "Welcome to Shockoe Bottom" mural. How is Cathedral Walk, just to the west of it, coming along?

#30. Good art photography, JSI.

#31. A bird may be on Lee's head, but for years bees nested in Traveler's nose, causing it to drip honey. :lol: It's a fact!

Thanks, JSI. More, please.

Terrific sets of pix, JSI.

A few comments:

#7. This is part of the Right of Way for my Rocketts landing/Tredegar trolley. :)

#9. Wonder what the new windows will look like in Canal Loft Apartments? And let's hope the city streetscapes Cary Street in that area to match what they've done in front of Tobacco Row even though this block is inside the flood wall.

#16. Imagine!! A fountain in Richmond that actually flows -- feeble as it is. The City Fountain Czar obviously has not yet discovered Libby Hill or he would be up there with a turn-off wrench!

#23. I love the "Welcome to Shockoe Bottom" mural. How is Cathedral Walk, just to the west of it, coming along?

#30. Good art photography, JSI.

#31. A bird may be on Lee's head, but for years bees nested in Traveler's nose, causing it to drip honey. :lol: It's a fact!

Thanks, JSI. More, please.

Thanks for the comments Burt! Cathedral Walk is coming along well although very much behind schedule. They were supposed to be done by May 30th. Intricate railings (which look Iron) have gone up and most of the stone has been laid. Doesn't look like they have much more work except to add lights and asphalt.

I love Richmond....I use it and old town Alexandria as my examples of cities that preserve their history but find space for modern structures as well....having said that I rarely make it up there so the more pics the better, especially Shokoe and other historic areas....thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Let the light show begin!

DSCF1840.jpg

DSCF1842.jpg

DSCF1843.jpg

DSCF1848.jpg

DSCF1853.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

DSCF1864.jpg

DSCF1865.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1874.jpg

DSCF1877.jpg

DSCF1878.jpg

DSCF1880.jpg

DSCF1883.jpg

DSCF1885.jpg

When I drove in from northside, the lights were purple. When I got outside the car and set the camera up, they switched to blue, then green, then orange, to yellow. I believe they were testing them tonight since there wee some PM big shots there, who became conerned by all the flashes from people taking pictures that the guards were very busy. James C. if you're reading, here are the pics as I said. I think by the time I was leaving, they were slowly changing from blueish to purple to a sort of lavender color. I wonder if they're going to switch colors all the time? That would be a very neat addition to our nightime skyline from the back. It really makes things more interesting and WAY better than seeing the Coliseum.

Let the light show begin!

When I drove in from northside, the lights were purple. When I got outside the car and set the camera up, they switched to blue, then green, then orange, to yellow. I believe they were testing them tonight since there wee some PM big shots there, who became conerned by all the flashes from people taking pictures that the guards were very busy. James C. if you're reading, here are the pics as I said. I think by the time I was leaving, they were slowly changing from blueish to purple to a sort of lavender color. I wonder if they're going to switch colors all the time? That would be a very neat addition to our nightime skyline from the back. It really makes things more interesting and WAY better than seeing the Coliseum.

Better than the Coliseum maybe but they have a long way to go to beat the burnt out string of Christmas lights on top of city hall ;)

Thanks for the great pics Cadeho. This is a feature I wasn't expecting and it will definitely be a cool addition to the city night time skyline. Finally some color! Wonder what the Main Street Station Plaza is going to look like lit up?

Better than the Coliseum maybe but they have a long way to go to beat the burnt out string of Christmas lights on top of city hall ;)

Thanks for the great pics Cadeho. This is a feature I wasn't expecting and it will definitely be a cool addition to the city night time skyline. Finally some color! Wonder what the Main Street Station Plaza is going to look like lit up?

And I thought I was seeing things! I had been wondering about city hall, it looks plain awkward :blink: Thanks for the pics, Cam! I agree, a million times better than the coliseum.

About the plaza, if it's anything like the blue up-lights they have in Houston along the bayou, it'll be pretty cool :)