CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

I think we can all agree that 98 East McBee is a very disappointing development.  Nobody here is okay with it.  However, I think we must ask ourselves what the alternative would be.  Would you prefer that the lot have stayed empty?  If so, how long would you be willing to let it sit empty before you would prefer something be developed here?  One more year?  Five years?  Ten?

Nobody here has voluntarily lowered his or her standards.  Unfortunately, we don't own the land, we aren't the developer, and we aren't making the decisions whether to approve or disapprove this development.  All we can do is react.  THEN we must decide to look at the positives.  Whining about the negatives won't change anything.

So I'm choosing to focus on the fact that this development gives us:

-Added density downtown

-Removal of an ugly partially constructed parcel of land

-Additional residents downtown

-At least one restaurant/bar we didn't have before

-Additional tax revenue for the city

-Possibility of additional development  on neighboring sites

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm I missing something?  The building is going to cover at least  80% of the site, right?   

If the setbacks are terrible, at least realize that is what the Peacock Hotel would have had too, and everyone thought that was wonderful. 

Can you enlighten us gs3, as to what you believe the 'real answer' to be?

Glad to see the low expectation level in Greenville hasn't change.

That's right. We aren't in Dallas. You should probably post there. That's your level. Leave us small minded country folk alone. We haven't bothered you.

That's right. We aren't in Dallas. You should probably post there. That's your level. Leave us small minded country folk alone. We haven't bothered you.

You want to discuss the topic instead of the personal attack? You and Vic are great at attacking people when they have differing opinions. Free forum here. Hope you understand that.

So about the development, which is the topic. If anyone cares to dig deeper, you'll find some interesting info (connections) as to why the building was allowed to be built as we are seeing. "Some" in the city made allowances.........do some investigative work.

A city that used to pride itself on being better and it allows something like this. Pathetic, but understandable given some of the "leadership", and I use the term "leadership" loosely.

You want to discuss the topic instead of the personal attack? You and Vic are great at attacking people when they have differing opinions. Free forum here. Hope you understand that.

So about the development, which is the topic. If anyone cares to dig deeper, you'll find some interesting info (connections) as to why the building was allowed to be built as we are seeing. "Some" in the city made allowances.........do some investigative work.

A city that used to pride itself on being better and it allows something like this. Pathetic, but understandable given some of the "leadership", and I use the term "leadership" loosely.

If you have info to share, then share it. What makes you think anyone else had the same sources that you do? I question whether this is even legitimate.

Are you serious with this post? Everything you post is negative, saying how small minded Greenville is. You might be right! Isn't that why you moved? This isn't the big city and probably never will be. Instead of throwing a negative slant at everything, how about get in here and create something with us? As someone who actually gets his hands dirty and tries to help create a better community, it gets tiresome listening to someone who probably isn't helping; complain 24/7. Especially if they don't live here. We have meetings in the city that are open to the public. You're welcome to attend.

I am completely sick of all of you. A group of sugared up 3 year olds have better manners and are more well behaved than the group of supposed grown ups posting on this thread. Rather than subjecting everyone to this pointless piss and moan contest I suggest you utilize the little envelope in the upper right corner of this forum and you can be as ridiculous with each other as you so desire without derailing a thread. If you've got a beef with someone (which several of you appear to have with each other) grow a pair and take it offline or out of the thread. I used to enjoy coming to the forums because as a resident of downtown it allowed to to follow what was happening as my travel schedule keeps me away from home on a weekly basis, but now having to wade through this ignorant diatribe has completely sucked the enjoyment out of reading any of the threads, let along trying to find out anything useful. I'm not sure who the moderators are on the forum but it's time for something to be done about this because it is being ruined by a few individuals.

Edited: Spelling Correction

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Photo update: http://triangleconstruction.com/98_e_mcbee_7_9_13/index.htm

Elevator shaft now completed.

What's interesting is that if you go back and look at Peacock construction photos, you'll see how much closer it was to the street. I hope this looks AND feels 1,000,000 times better than it's currently represented. Then, maybe it will be halfway ok.

From the once grand Peacock, to this bland suburban design, sitting extremely far back from the street. Can't believe the city allowed this. Smells of desperation to accept anything for the prime site. Gotta love the way Greenville is being managed (sorry, that should be mis-managed).

I thought the whole point was to build on the original (Peacock) foundation that was already in place. Maybe the Peacock was the same distance from the curb, but used for outdoor dining, and therefore not as noticeable as the current design?

I think google's satellite views still shows the Peacock's distance. What they're building on now is just the concrete over the parking structure I believe, which is not the entire footprint of the planned hotel.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The request for final approval of plaza and streetscape design goes before the Design Review Board today. Planning staff have recommended approval.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/OCTOBER/DesignReviewBoard/10-03-2013/CA-12-198-98EastMcBeeAvenue.pdf

Will the streetscaping and plaza be as suburban looking as the building?  :shok:

Archived