Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

• 3 weeks later...

A picture looking down Church Street from Capitol Boulevard in 1964 from a Tennessean retrospective.

ChurchSt64_zpsc9ee4d24.jpg

It was still an important shopping street with four movie theaters. Cain-Sloan is on the right just behind the Tennessee sign. Harveys Department Store is to the left of the sign and ran the whole block.

Looking east!!

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 3

A picture looking down Church Street from Capitol Boulevard in 1964 from a Tennessean retrospective.

It was still an important shopping street with four movie theaters. Cain-Sloan is on the right just behind the Tennessee sign. Harveys Department Store is to the left of the sign and ran the whole block.

Didn't look terribly different from that a decade later when I went there as a little kid on the weekends, although there were few people out (actually, by the end of the '70s, it was close to being a ghost town on weekends). Of course, Fulton then added that horrid serpentine brick fiasco landscaping, which just made things worse.

The buildings on the left were all demolished for the pocket park and Grant's is now the library. If only the Tennessee Theater & Sudekum Building could've been preserved. The Cumberland was no acceptable replacement for them. I still miss Harvey's across the street from there. It's been 30 years since it closed, but that was a uniquely Nashville institution that should never have been lost. :-(

Edited by fieldmarshaldj
  • Like 2

ChurchSt64_zpsc9ee4d24.jpg

Looking east!!

The view this year.

CHurchStreet2014_zpsbd86e561.jpg

Yes, looking East.

Is it just an optical illusion that the street was wider back in the original picture? The 3 lanes vs 2 makes it look wider, but the sidewalk on the left side of the newer picture may be a little wider than the old. It's just odd, because it appears as if the entire block on the left side has moved a few feet closer to the center. Then again, it's possible because none of these buildings are the same. How sad. I'm looking for the church in the older picture and can't seem to spot it.

Is it just an optical illusion that the street was wider back in the original picture? The 3 lanes vs 2 makes it look wider, but the sidewalk on the left side of the newer picture may be a little wider than the old. It's just odd, because it appears as if the entire block on the left side has moved a few feet closer to the center. Then again, it's possible because none of these buildings are the same. How sad. I'm looking for the church in the older picture and can't seem to spot it.

I was thinking the same thing lol. It looks like the red brink building on the left is in the same spot as it was in 1964.

Interesting

The sidewalks are wider today, note the trees planted where the road was then. You can see the church in the '64 photo, but only the tops of the towers above Cain-Sloan. Harvey's (the red brick bldg.) used to have a canopy that extended above the sidewalk (and eastward to St. Cloud's Corner) all the way to the street so you could walk in the shade. It was nice in the hot months, and I remember looking in the window displays as a kid.

Went downtown for the 4th this past weekend and went to the CMHOF. I'm not really big into country music or anything and going to this would normally never be on my to do or wish list, but my wife is all about it and has been wanting to go for a while now so I said what the heck. There's quite a bit more then what I have pictured, but that's as far as we got because it was taking too long and we were trying to get down to the riverfront and set our chairs up before it got too crowded. Overall I was pretty impressed with the museum. I thought it was nicely done and there was tons of exhibits and things to see. If country music is your thing and you haven't been I would highly recommend going. 

July4th2014047_zps6f3af459.jpg

July4th2014044_zpsfc08363f.jpg

July4th2014040_zpsc2ddb2e0.jpg

July4th2014030_zps0b780c19.jpg

July4th2014029_zps3fc2d254.jpg

July4th2014028_zpsfd1d5744.jpg

July4th2014027_zpsfc6d4f36.jpg

July4th2014026_zps0c058bda.jpg

July4th2014024_zpsc379ec3d.jpg

July4th2014022_zpsbdbbf7ca.jpg

July4th2014021_zpsb9c20518.jpg

July4th2014020_zps959cf2b0.jpg

July4th2014019_zpse3c3b7cd.jpg

July4th2014014_zps42c5aa5c.jpg

July4th2014013_zps1d7cf67c.jpg

July4th2014009_zpsdd2b33e2.jpg

July4th2014008_zps517f9600.jpg

July4th2014007_zps75292263.jpg

July4th2014006_zps136bf7cd.jpg

July4th2014005_zps72078144.jpg

July4th2014002_zps883ba562.jpg

July4th2014037_zps50d1e2e2.jpg

Pinnacle tower, Encore, Hyatt, and the Sheet Music lot from inside the CMHOF.

July4th2014032_zps38db610f.jpg

July4th2014033_zpsda8f3af7.jpg

Tried to get the HGI but couldn't get a good view.

July4th2014039_zps1a5f9e34.jpg

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 2