Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

While I like the location of the Flying Saucer behind Union Station, I can't help to think of the marketing potential of the Flying Saucer located in a structure that looks like...a flying saucer.

I dunno, spinning rooms and beer drinking typically don't go well together. ;)

• Like 3

I pass by that every single day and always wonder why they havent done something else with the property, why just allow it to sit there unused??

The reservoir? It's still in use.  The only time it hasn't been used since it was built in 1889 was for a brief period after a wall collapsed in 1912 and flooded the surrounding neighborhood.

Cool photo!  Man this really makes me wish the interstate didn't cut right through the town like it does.

Even better...the train shed was still there with passenger trains coming and going... :(

• Like 1

The reservoir? It's still in use.  The only time it hasn't been used since it was built in 1889 was for a brief period after a wall collapsed in 1912 and flooded the surrounding neighborhood.

Maybe I misunderstood what I last read, I thought it was not in use at all. There I go showing my ignorance.

Little history for the day, aerial shot showing the 8th Avenue Reservoir and downtown in 1940:

15515.jpg

This is a great aerial shot from a time when they were pretty rare... and has anyone else noticed what I think I see:  the area that is now Metrocenter was flooded?  I guess that was the normal state back before the levies that are there now. Also interesting to me is how far everything looks... but now with the inner loop and the build-up of Midtown, everything appears so much closer. Would be great to have a comparable shot from this vantage point today. 

Edited by MLBrumby

This is a great aerial shot from a time when they were pretty rare... and has anyone else noticed what I think I see:  the area that is now Metrocenter was flooded?  I guess that was the normal state back before the levies that are there now. Also interesting to me is how far everything looks... but now with the inner loop and the build-up of Midtown, everything appears so much closer. Would be great to have a comparable shot from this vantage point today.

I don't think that's flooding, it's just a barren flood plain that the area was prior to MetroCenter. If it was flooded, that island you see in the middle of the Cumberland would've been inundated.

What's with the white on the ground?  

At first, I thought it was snow...but it appears the trees have leaves.

Is that just dirt?

More likely just yellowed grass.

And would the large area of yellowed grass/snow just north of the reservoir be what is now Rose Park?

I'm also curious about what looks like Church St with a long viaduct extending west over the gulch. Church St either used to be elevated much higher than today or there was a massive infill on the west side after the interstate came through.

And would the large area of yellowed grass/snow just north of the reservoir be what is now Rose Park?

I'm also curious about what looks like Church St with a long viaduct extending west over the gulch. Church St either used to be elevated much higher than today or there was a massive infill on the west side after the interstate came through.

That giant "white" area was, I believe, a rock quarry (and some used it for swimming). You can see the pit walls on the west side if you blow up the picture. That is indeed Rose Park today.

As for the Church Street Viaduct, the elevated part, as with today, extended farther west than Broadway or Demonbreun. The latter two extended to past 11th while Church went to about 13th. It looks different because buildings were later erected along the south side of Church up and above the elevated street, why it looks so long in the old photo.

• Like 1

Although it's good to see new developments on vacant or underutilized lots, I still must admit most of the new apartment architecture in those photos are more akin to barracks than anything else, reflecting the banality if not sheer hideousness of modern architecture. I wish developers would put more of an emphasis on classic and timeless styles that would warrant their preservation years from now.

• Like 1

Although it's good to see new developments on vacant or underutilized lots, I still must admit most of the new apartment architecture in those photos are more akin to barracks than anything else, reflecting the banality if not sheer hideousness of modern architecture. I wish developers would put more of an emphasis on classic and timeless styles that would warrant their preservation years from now.

I don't think I would equate it to barracks (where you're really just talking about 4 walls and a roof), but I would say a lot of the buildings are bland and unimaginative. I, too, would like to see more emphasis put on architecture. I don't care if it is classic or modern, as long as some actual thought is put into it. Too much goes up today that's too busy to care about any sort of details.

• Like 2

My favorite design among the new apartments in downtown or midtown is the Bell Midtown project.  They were really pioneers in the neighborhood.  More residential in the area should bring some restaurants and small retail to the surrounding blocks.  Will be interesting to see how this segment of midtown advances in the coming years!

• Like 4

Agree with the lack of design and details on these large apartment complexes.    They will not age well.     But, that's not a concern to your average developer right now.    The apartments are being built to lease out and sell.     If the end game was to build and hold, you might see more attention to construction and materials.    When the end game is to sell quickly, it makes complete economic sense for the developer to keep their construction investment as low as possible, which means stick frame and little or no concrete or steel.    Exterior materials, which are a huge cost, are going to be the least expensive materials, like cheap windows and doors, vinyl or hardie siding and stucco, with minimum use of brick or stone.    When renters are lined up to get in, considerations of design, style and how the building will hold up over time simply don't enter the equation.  

• Like 1

Agree with the lack of design and details on these large apartment complexes.    They will not age well.     But, that's not a concern to your average developer right now.    The apartments are being built to lease out and sell.     If the end game was to build and hold, you might see more attention to construction and materials.    When the end game is to sell quickly, it makes complete economic sense for the developer to keep their construction investment as low as possible, which means stick frame and little or no concrete or steel.    Exterior materials, which are a huge cost, are going to be the least expensive materials, like cheap windows and doors, vinyl or hardie siding and stucco, with minimum use of brick or stone.    When renters are lined up to get in, considerations of design, style and how the building will hold up over time simply don't enter the equation.  

Perhaps at some point these cheaply-built buildings will get demolished and replaced by something better.  Wishful thinking?

• Like 1