Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

On 10/9/2023 at 8:48 AM, Sean blackdog said:

Last Friday night from Facebook. 
This Nashville,TN.
43,000 feet above from plane.  :shok:

That showed up on my FB feed also. I don't know why unless coming onto this board triggered it. On the other hand I posted on my timeline a picture of Boots Randolph, Chet Atkins and Floyd Cramer playing Boots' stage at his Printer's Alley club, maybe that did it. So with that aerial photo do you think that was taken over Ft. Campbell?

So when you hear Brenda Lee say We'll Do Some Caroling (Rockin Around the Tree) in a few weeks, that's Boots playing the sax solo.

No photo description available.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: War Memorial Gardens, 1935.

War Memorial Gardens, 1935 x.jpg

I watched Governor Winfield Dunn’s inauguration perched atop one of those stone fences. My sixteen year old backside felt like a block of ice at the ceremony’s conclusion. 
I wish they’d demolish Legislative Plaza and bring back the gardens (but only if it would be beautifully designed and maintained, which it would never be, unfortunately).

44 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I watched Governor Winfield Dunn’s inauguration perched atop one of those stone fences. My sixteen year old backside felt like a block of ice at the ceremony’s conclusion. 
I wish they’d demolish Legislative Plaza and bring back the gardens (but only if it would be beautifully designed and maintained, which it would never be, unfortunately).

i remember the plaza too, but it was always pretty crappy.  The "gardens" never had any worthwhile planting and unlike classical  designs for such layouts it was just plain awful and unsymmetric.  A competant plan would have laid it out centeresd on an axis with the Capitiol and with the main entrance to the War memorial Building.  This was just a division of squares by extending the street grid.   By the 60s, the stone walls were behind ugly bus stops, trash bins and benches plastered with nasty advertisements on the back rests..  It was all lawn, no nice landscaping at all.  The plaza never saw tree one. IMO the whole thing was rather pathetically plain jane. The only good thing about it were the hotels arond it which except for the Hermitage are long gone.

image.jpeg

091652.jpg

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Baronakim said:

i remember the plaza too, but it was always pretty crappy.  The "gardens" never had any worthwhile planting and unlike classical  designs for such layouts it was just plain awful and unsymmetric.  A competant plan would have laid it out centeresd on an axis with the Capitiol and with the main entrance to the War memorial Building.  This was just a division of squares by extending the street grid.   By the 60s, the stone walls were behind ugly bus stops, trash bins and benches plastered with nasty advertisements on the back rests..  It was all lawn, no nice landscaping at all.  The plaza never saw tree one. IMO the whole thing was rather pathetically plain jane. The only good thing about it were the hotels arond it which except for the Hermitage are long gone.

image.jpeg

091652.jpg

Those two buildings were very attractive. Nashville has lost many such structures over the years. It's one reason, among others, we don't offer as attractive a man-made urban environment as, say,  Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, East Side Urbanite said:

Those two buildings were very attractive. Nashville has lost many such structures over the years. It's one reason, among others, we don't offer as attractive a man-made urban environment as, say,  Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

While there were many attractive buildings downtown back then, from my observation, they were surrounded by a lot of cluttered junk.  We did lose buildings that should have been retained but the emminent domain that wiped them out by blocks was ruthless in its execution.  Those two hotels were important landmarks, but IMO not particulary great architecture like the gorgeous banks at 4th and Union or the Maxwell House.  I disagree that we have lost so much as folks whine about,  as a great core of the older buildings survive from ther river all the way to Rosa Parks.  I miss the Sudekum tower visually most of all, but it's interioe was horrendous IMO  to convert to residential and useless for any uses as it had in today's markets.  I think Nashvilele has penty of surviving urban environment.   

FirstAmNatBank-400x360.jpg

bank19214thunion.jpg

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2