Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

You had free reign of the entire building. Ron (smeagols) Myself, My Wife, and Ron's friend Gary went and we spent at least 2 hours. It was astounding! Pictures do not do it justice at all. Tonight a concert and fireworks.

thanks for the pictures.  it is so big, I mean I knew it was big, but it is just huge.   I know several people that went to it, I wasnt able to make it in town.  were you able to go into the main exhibit hall?

Yes. There was a lot of activity in there, from bouncy houses to food/drink vendors to a zip line. Yes, a zip line. Maybe took you 500' and covered 1/6 of the hall... 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, but since there are photos associated with them, I'll drop it here.  Big congrats to the ULI winners from last week.  Some great projects to choose from.  Mayor Karl Dean and Peter Rummel spoke to the crowd of 450.  This is from the Tennessean.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DN&Dato=20130530&Kategori=BUSINESS01&Lopenr=530005&Ref=PH

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting and Great find. I had not seen this before for sure. One interesting thing is as far as I know there is not a hotel brand called Easton. They may have used that as an example. Another interesting item is this is saying  "midtown". So who knows the location. No way of knowing how old this is but the website states this as new. Very intriguing. Another guess could be NW Mutual but I would not call that midtown, but they will need a major venue as an anchor.

They are doing a project in Easton Ohio which may explain the name of the hotel. They may have just picked it out of a hat.

The company has offices in Florida and DC

This is definitely a proposal for the convention center site.  The "midtown" and "easton" labels don't mean anything, other than illustration or to intentionally cause confusion.  Look at the site and the changing grade of the road, it is 5th and Broadway.  House of Blues and the African-American Music museum have already stated or hinted they are interested in this site.  This looks bigger than possible, though, because that office building facing Broadway and the apartments behind it seem to be over the portion retained by Renaissance.  Could be wrong on that point, though.

I like the modern approach...but if that is going on the former convention center site...I'm not sure about the mass of it. Mixed use is fine. But museum and hotel AND office AND residential? I think they're trying to do too much.

I feel like the design, as is, would be better suited for actual midtown (like its signage suggests).

This is definitely a proposal for the convention center site.  The "midtown" and "easton" labels don't mean anything, other than illustration or to intentionally cause confusion.  Look at the site and the changing grade of the road, it is 5th and Broadway.  House of Blues and the African-American Music museum have already stated or hinted they are interested in this site.  This looks bigger than possible, though, because that office building facing Broadway and the apartments behind it seem to be over the portion retained by Renaissance.  Could be wrong on that point, though.

The more I look at the rendering, the more I tend to agree with you that this would be for the old CC site. Looks to be the Bridgestone across the street as well. I am sure there are those in the know about this project. William is out of town this week for a few days, so we may not be able to get an answer. The size of the project does seem to be rather large for the site IMO as well. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

All I can say is wow. Cannot believe this! Yes, cannot believe this. After careful consideration, no, this is not going to happen....

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

Very eye-catching but almost looks like a development better suited for Miami than Nashville. 

Also, if ALL this were to be built, you have to wonder about a price tag. $750 million at minimum? Who has the deep pockets (and the stomach) to pull this off in a market our size.

Just seems too ambitious to me.

Still, if it happens, it would be very exciting.

WW

That's a cool looking proposal, but I agree that it's unlikely we'll see all of that on the old Convention Center site. The center tower looks to be where the Renaissance is currently so perhaps that's there to throw us off as well. I'm intrigued by the possibility of the African-American Music Museum and House of Blues on the site. As helpful as I think the museum might be for North Nashville particularly Jefferson Street, the visibility would be much better in the heart of downtown near similar museums. I also think HOB and the museum could play off each other well. Not sure about yet another hotel on the site especially if another one is potentially in the works down the street, but such a proposal would be a great opportunity to finally lure a brand like W Hotels.  

Edited by ariesjow

Could this even be done with a retrofit, or would it require a tear down an rebuild? I was noticing the fountain on the corner (awesome touch!) and there is certainly no room for that now.

Obviously, this is an artists concept, which would be very different than a retrofit reality (all the curves and such), but I wonder if towers could even be built on the current structure.

Edited by nashvillwill