Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Looking south yesterday from Fern Ave. overpass of I-24/65:

Skyline from Fern Ave overpass of I-24, April 9, 2022 x.jpeg

The Fern overpass shot has always been my favorite.  Over the years, it's been a great vantage point from which to track the skyline changes.  Most of them have always been to the left of the shot with Batman and the SoBro adds.  So cool to see that the right side has joined the party and will stretch my favorite view!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

Lake Michigan to the Gulf of Mexico and all this section of i65 gets is two lanes.  It's a joke.  There's plenty of land here to expand this bottleneck but we're forced to spend money on interstate expansion elsewhere so sh1tbirds from other counties and states can vroom vroom here faster.  The good people of Nashville are being robbed.

That was my second thought although I was focused more on the I-24 part.  Exact same feeling though.  I first stood on Fern for a picture around '85.  And that section of interstate has barely changed..  From Fern back to Trinity Lane...yes.  Right there...no.

4 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

Imagine having a 800-1000 footer :tw_grimace:

From that angle it almost looks like 505 is supposed to have some extra height on top and maybe a crown, but it was photoshopped out.  Man, for such a prominent location right smack in the middle of the skyline, that site was BEGGING for more height.  I wish Tony G had been a little more daring with it.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, colemangaines said:

The contractor I used to work for was asked to quote 505 back in 2015. The plans we received lined up with the renderings below. We didn't end up getting the job and I was surprised when the building went up looking completely different.

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-04.jpg

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-02.jpg

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-01.jpg

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-03.jpg

Ooof, I still mourn the loss of that beauty... that design is just in a different stratosphere from any other highrise we have... would've put us in a different league altogether... that's not to say I'm not happy that the current iteration of 505 was at least built... but man oh man, compared to literally every other design proposal that was thrown out there for the project, OF COURSE we'd get the one that is by far the shortest, most budget friendly, milquetoast design of them all.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, colemangaines said:

The contractor I used to work for was asked to quote 505 back in 2015. The plans we received lined up with the renderings below. We didn't end up getting the job and I was surprised when the building went up looking completely different.

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-04.jpg

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-02.jpg

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-01.jpg

Nashville-505-Church-Street-AS+GG-03.jpg

That design variation of 505 was for an office tower, not residential. It was my favorite proposal for that property!

• Like 4

On 4/10/2022 at 7:01 AM, markhollin said:

Courtesy of vidsource:

SoBro aerial, vidsource, March 7, 2022, 3 x.png

This area really needs several high rises in the 30-50 story range.  I also wouldn't be opposed to one of the blocks being converted to a small park.  If NYC can have 1/4 - 1/2 acre parks with basketball courts, small gardens with benches and playgrounds, surely Nashville can insert a few random parks in its core to create outdoor spaces for residents and workers.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

This area really needs several high rises in the 30-50 story range.  I also wouldn't be opposed to one of the blocks being converted to a small park.  If NYC can have 1/4 - 1/2 acre parks with basketball courts, small gardens with benches and playgrounds, surely Nashville can insert a few random parks in its core to create outdoor spaces for residents and workers.

If we eventually get the Congress Group and Centrum developments up, you just might get your wish.  They might accelerate the zoning changes we're hoping for and facilitate an influx of height.

16 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

From that angle it almost looks like 505 is supposed to have some extra height on top and maybe a crown, but it was photoshopped out.  Man, for such a prominent location right smack in the middle of the skyline, that site was BEGGING for more height.  I wish Tony G had been a little more daring with it.  

Now that you've said it, I can't un-see it...

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 9:59 AM, PillowTalk4 said:

I agree with you 100%. 

But i feel like that is what's happening right now, with development in general, in downtown. It is pushing high rise and skyscraper infill development towards the north and south gulch and is pushing past Sobro now, and into Pie Town and Rolling Mill Hill. 

I would definitely expect this particular area to be densely developed, with buildings in the range of 10-30 stories or so, by the late 2020s/early 2030s. 

• Like 1