Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I believe those buildings that are on the north side of the Woodland Street bridge were there into the mid 80's.  I remember some of the buildings that are on what is now James Robertson Pkwy between 2nd & 3rd.  The Victory Memorial Bridge wasn't built when the photo Mark posted was taken.  A bridge did exist prior to the VMB.  But it was demolished long before this photo.  I do remember being able to turn left (south) on 1st Ave. near the courthouse.  Also, Gay Street wasn't yet around during that time either (at least not along the river).  Thus the reason for those buildings on either side of the Woodland Street bridge having more depth than the land currently there.  I'm not sure when Gay Street was extended, but it seems it was in the 80's or at least it was enhanced significantly.  

Can you guys please stop posting these old photos.  I'm starting to feel like my dad telling me stories about Nashville ... :tw_glasses:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Auntie Yock said:

No, unfortunately the last of the buildings in this photo on the north side of the public square were demolished by the Summer of 1974.

I was speaking specifically about the buildings on the north side of the foot of the Woodland Street Bridge.  Which you appear to be correct regarding their demolition.  Several of the buildings on the north side of  Public Square remained until the construction of the Criminal Justice Building (now demolished) in 1981. 

I remember those buildings next to the foot of the Woodland Street bridge.    I just didn't recall when they were torn down.  I certainly remember the buildings that were on James Robertson Pkwy between 2nd and 3rd before they were demolished.  They became such an eyesore because they were not well maintained.  There was always some hope that that block would be revitalized but it just never happened.

Courthouse%2B2490.jpg

Nashville Public Square - mid 1950's - MNA

Checkout this blog to learn more... https://nashvillehistory.blogspot.com/2011/12/nashvilles-public-square-in-20th.html?m=1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I was speaking specifically about the buildings on the north side of the foot of the Woodland Street Bridge.  Which you appear to be correct regarding their demolition.  Several of the buildings on the north side of  Public Square remained until the construction of the Criminal Justice Building (now demolished) in 1981. 

I remember those buildings next to the foot of the Woodland Street bridge.    I just didn't recall when they were torn down.  I certainly remember the buildings that were on James Robertson Pkwy between 2nd and 3rd before they were demolished.  They became such an eyesore because they were not well maintained.  There was always some hope that that block would be revitalized but it just never happened.

Don't you mean the north side of the Victory Memorial Bridge? I know the block between 2nd and 3rd was demolished in 1974. The buildings to the north of the foot of the Victory Memorial Bridge would've been demolished before the construction of the Gay Street Connector. I don't know the exact year it was built. Regardless, it's a tragedy we lost all those buildings around the square (even the Strickland's son-copy of the state capitol courthouse). One of many awful architectural losses in the downtown.

Edited by Auntie Yock
Corrections

3 hours ago, billgregg55 said:

What's the interesting-looking dark building (or dark buildings) to the west of the courthouse? I'm asking about the three-to-four story structures linked by a large sloped roof.

That was the old City Hall. Curiously, when they demolished both it and the adjacent County Courthouse, they combined them into the current Courthouse (perhaps presuming the city and county would combine 3 decades ahead of time).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1