Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

On 8/11/2020 at 7:46 AM, titanhog said:

@titanhog has provided us with a very handy resource here with her list of construction cameras, but I had to really dig in order to find it just now.  Is there any way we can pin or tag this somehow?  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Sad... 

0912360C-B690-42B9-A83C-6DAD93273785.jpeg

Had my first funnel cake in the little cafe there by the water... somebody help me job my memory though... what was in that 'floating' pavilion to the right?  I remember it being there, I just can't recall what it was used for... was it a carousel?   :dunno:

41 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Had my first funnel cake in the little cafe there by the water... somebody help me job my memory though... what was in that 'floating' pavilion to the right?  I remember it being there, I just can't recall what it was used for... was it a carousel?   :dunno:

Yes, a beautiful antique carousel in the early years. (At some point the antique carousel was donated to a carousel museum due to difficulties maintaining it for such high volume ridership.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not sure if anyone noticed the new tower crane at the BMI building, but they are enclosing the top level of the existing parking garage. I guess they had to go high because of the height of the building.

Wonder if it's the level where we always have the BMI awards?  They always turn one floor of the parking deck into a ballroom for the awards....but they have to place up temp walls to the outside.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:44 AM, Auntie Yock said:

^Opryland's closure and demolition will rank as one of the worst decisions ever made in city history.

Especially to open a mall, that could have easily been built elsewhere in that area.

I'm still surprised that no other theme park management company jumped on opening a new park in the metro area.  Nashville is just too popular and centrally located not to have one.

• Like 3

Just now, PillowTalk4 said:

Especially to open a mall, that could have easily been built elsewhere in that area.

I'm still surprised that no other theme park management company jumped on opening a new park in the metro area.  Nashville is just too popular and centrally located not to have one.

Gaylord negotiated with other park operators to take over the operation of the Opryland theme park, but were unable to get the parties to agree to terms. When the deal came along with the Mills organization to do a joint venture to build the mall, they went that route.

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Theme parks are very expensive to start from ground zero these days, and with COVID, many of them are in bad shape financially now. COVID could be the end of a lot of theme parks. I have not looked at the number for Six Flags, but I do know Disney was losing a ton of money and they are the best operated ones around.

On 9/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, Auntie Yock said:

^Opryland's closure and demolition will rank as one of the worst decisions ever made in city history.

Why do you say that? OM provides the city with much more revenue.

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

that could have easily been built elsewhere in that area.

Mills projects are often built next to major super regional/national level attractions. The only other area in Nashville that would qualify is downtown.

Nashville = Opryland Hotel.
Charlotte = NASCAR track.