Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

28 minutes ago, markhollin said:

TBT:  Nashville Convention Center and Fifth 3rd Bank Tower under construction, 1985.

Interesting seeing the concurrent construction of what would become one of downtown’s best looking buildings and one of the worst. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT:  Nashville Convention Center and Fifth 3rd Bank Tower under construction, 1985.

Nashville Convention Center construction, July 5, 1985.png

Nashville Convention Center uc, 1986.png

For some reason I thought the Batman building was built before the R2D2 building.  Anyway, seeing that Cain-Sloan sign makes me sad.  Nashville had some wonderful, locally owned department stores (Cain-Sloan, Castner Knott, Harvey's).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Can anyone explain people's fascination with L&C Tower? I know it was the tallest building in the south when built, but I have always found it extremely ugly, but people seem to love it

I'm by no means fascinated by it, but it does have some nice, subtle details. It also has some low key mixtures of Art Moderne  (street entrance) and the International Style (primary facades, vertical banding and fenestration patterns).  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

I'm not going to tell you that something is wrong with you if you don't like it. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions. I'm fine with that.

Speaking for me, personally, the primary attraction I have to the building is related to its history. I won't compare it to a girlfriend, but I can understand the analogy. There is a sentimental attachment for sure.  It is an important tower in our city's history.

As for how attractive it is...I can see your point. I don't really agree, because I think it provides an excellent contrast to the more modern buildings in our skyline.  It's really a unique building, given it's tall, very slender shape. I'm also a fan of the building materials. 

Perhaps this is a bad comparison -- worse than the first girlfriend -- but a restaurant specialty, such as a blackberry cobbler. It may not be the best item on the menu, but it's that one thing you have to have before you leave. It just makes things....right.

Understood.

If Nashville Yards had similar L&C Tower as their tall boy for the project, I think a lot of people would be disappointed. 

But I get the history aspect / first girlfriend analogies. I have a love / hate relationship with Nissan Stadium, but 70% of it is because of memories as a child and feeling like "Nashville was on the map". However, if the Titans came out with renderings of a new stadium and it was a copy of Nissan, I would be mad.

9 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

For my 1000th post, a beautiful monument in Galveston, TX. Back to TN this time tomorrow evening.

Does anyone know the cost of this structure in today's dollars?

• Like 2