Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

26 minutes ago, rookzie said:

At first, Mark, I thought it was from you directly, as you seem almost like the Jeep on "Popeye", always floatin' around and just "up" and appearing in many places inaccessible to most of us ─ hotel suites, penthouses, pools, caves,....  and now this.

He's like those Russian kids who "walk a tightrope" on the edges of skyscrapers, like you see on youtube.  Mark ain't skeer'd! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

Ok...a couple of things...

I believe we are now half way up (or maybe a tad over half way up) on 505CST...so just imagine this current view of the tower, yet doubled in height.  Am I correct?

Also...you can now definitely see Bridgestone rising above the Omni Hotel.  How many more floors on this one?

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 9.07.24 AM.png

Bridgestone should be about the height of the crane on the right and 505 will come to the spires of Batman right??

18 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^Anything to help spread the "Nashville" brand.  Love it!  

I had "Nashville" hot chicken at a restaurant in Santa Monica last month and it was disgusting, the KFC version was significantly better; and that says a lot. There is a restaurant in Los Angeles named Howlin' Rays that specializes in Nashville hot chicken and they have hour plus lines for daily. It's one of the most popular restaurants downtown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 21jump said:

I had "Nashville" hot chicken at a restaurant in Santa Monica last month and it was disgusting, the KFC version was significantly better; and that says a lot. There is a restaurant in Los Angeles named Howlin' Rays that specializes in Nashville hot chicken and they have hour plus lines for daily. It's one of the most popular restaurants downtown.

I guess it will be like restaurants that sell "Philly" sandwiches all over the place.  Most of them aren't as good as what you get in Philly.

• Like 1

As amazing as I think that would be, I think the main hurdle here is simply that for as long as those buildings have existed, most of those "fronts" on 1st Ave. have, in actuality, just functioned as the backs of the businesses fronting 2nd Avenue.  Since that side of the building fronted the river, it was used as a loading/unloading zone for all the river barges. So, I'm no expert, but it seems like it'd be next to impossible to section these buildings off to create 'fronts' on both ends, not only because it'd likely be a logistical and legal flustercluck, but also because the restaurants & bars fronting 2nd require that rear space to function properly.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

As amazing as I think that would be, I think the main hurdle here is simply that for as long as those buildings have existed, most of those "fronts" on 1st Ave. have, in actuality, just functioned as the backs of the businesses fronting 2nd Avenue.  Since that side of the building fronted the river, it was used as a loading/unloading zone for all the river barges. So, I'm no expert, but it seems like it'd be next to impossible to section these buildings off to create 'fronts' on both ends, not only because it'd likely be a logistical and legal flustercluck, but also because the restaurants & bars fronting 2nd require that rear space to function properly.

Some of those warehouses still contain ground-entry parking, and historically they were designed for railroad dock service as the primary conveyance.  This actually lasted to a minimum extent up into the early 1980s, when much of the granite cobble-stone was still visible along that portion of First Ave.  While means could be arranged to take on provisions, without exclusive 1st Ave. access, indeed it currently does not seem tenable to pre-empt roadway passage between Union and Broadway.

• Like 1