Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Brutalism is ugly and evil. It's the thug of architecture, giving the middle finger to its neighbors in an urban environment.

The terms "inward-facing" and "exclusionary" come to mind. I'm sure most are fine facilities on the inside, but they seem very standoffish from the exterior.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

The terms "inward-facing" and "exclusionary" come to mind. I'm sure most are fine facilities on the inside, but they seem very standoffish from the exterior.

Makes sense when you consider the time in which it arose ... (guessing 1960s).  When my wife and I were remodeling our first house which was built in 1968, the contractor doing it frequently made reference to certain things (soffits, small windows, completely enclosed courtyard, dark winding hallways) as a reaction to the nuclear scares of the time.  He kept saying people wanted to feel secure from the dangers in the world (outside).  I don't know if that's the case, but it sort of explains brutalism to me, assuming I understand it even a little. In Atlanta, the Civic Center is an example, as well as much of John Portman's work downtown ... and I always thought it was very unattractive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

Another look at the proposed skyline. No Stanza, BWSC, etc. but you get the idea. Besides, four of these will be killed in a month with six more to replace them. So this is just a snapshot.

I should know this, but what is to the left of Fifth Third Center?

8 hours ago, PHofKS said:

:tw_astonished:   TRIGGER WARNING!!! There may be an example of brutalist architecture somewhere in this picture. Please view with discretion!!!    :tw_astonished:

Trigglypuff-2-gif.gif

"No more brutalism ! No more brutalism ! No more brutalism ! No more brutalism !"

Edited by fieldmarshaldj
  • Like 4