Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I never noticed till seeing the skyline picture posted by markhollin that 3rd Ave and 5th Ave are the only two streets that literally go from the south side of downtown to the north side uninterrupted. I know I've seen historical maps that show most of the streets continuing through.  I wonder what prompted the closing of certain streets in the north-south direction to build structures like the court house (closed of 2nd Ave.), why wasn't the Woodland Street Bridge connected directly with Union Street as opposed to putting the curve into Union and cutting off 1st Ave.  And, was it the introduction of James Robertson Pkwy that cut off 4th Ave.?  6th and 7th appears to have been impacted by the Capitol Building realigning streets on either side of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I never noticed till seeing the skyline picture posted by markhollin that 3rd Ave and 5th Ave are the only two streets that literally go from the south side of downtown to the north side uninterrupted. I know I've seen historical maps that show most of the streets continuing through.  I wonder what prompted the closing of certain streets in the north-south direction to build structures like the court house (closed of 2nd Ave.), why wasn't the Woodland Street Bridge connected directly with Union Street as opposed to putting the curve into Union and cutting off 1st Ave.  And, was it the introduction of James Robertson Pkwy that cut off 4th Ave.?  6th and 7th appears to have been impacted by the Capitol Building realigning streets on either side of it.

2nd ran north-south uninterrupted until the construction of the present Courthouse. 1st ran along the east side of the Courthouse but was closed after the demolition of the east side of the CH square and the Gay Street connector. Woodland Street Bridge was never built with the intention of connecting it to Union, as it was an extension of Deaderick, which once ran directly in front of the present Courthouse. There were 2 entire square blocks of buildings that ran between 3rd & 1st and Union & Deaderick, which were demolished in the '60s.

Yes, the intro of James Robertson Pkwy in the 1950s cut off 4th Ave. 6th and 7th and 8th (Rosa Parks) used to run up and over Capitol Hill down towards the infamous Hell's Half Acre (Black slum) at the north slope of Capitol Hill and with the Robertson Pkwy project, all were closed off. It was the largest urban renewal project in city history.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yes...another of my crude mock-ups.  Just was waiting until Bridgestone finally peeked over the Omni so I could copy and paste some of the structure to see kinda what it would look like "framed out."  Did the same again with 505.

Of course, I could be off by a few feet on both...but this should at least give us a glance of what the silhouette of each building will look like in the skyline from this angle.

Downtown 505 - Bridgestone.jpg

The taper 505 creates from the Sheraton on over to Regions is very aesthetic.

• Like 2