Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

On 5/9/2024 at 7:24 AM, Baronakim said:

Absolutely it would have been dreadful.  I didn't mention Green Hills for shopping as it was no more to me than an upscale Madison Square and an enclave for Nashville's well-to-do.   I aways thought of Harding Mall as a huge joke as it was terribly designed.   Most of y'all probably would not know  the One Hundred Oaks  situation was rather nuts as politically the mall had NO interstate access at all!   Armory Drive exit onlycame YEARS later.  However, we would not have the "historic Nashville" bellyaching so much now as there would have been no historic Nashville left IMO.

You can blame Dick Fulton for 100 Oaks not getting a proper interstate exit. He had investment in Rivergate Mall and had a personal, vested interest in seeing the complete failure of 100 Oaks Mall and obstructed all attempts for more direct access. Of course, even with proper access, the mall still may have failed (a la Hickory Hollow). I was disappointed that the plans for a "Galleria"-style facelift in the late '80s never went through.

I personally almost never went to Rivergate, if only because it was on the opposite side of the city from where I live. Before Hickory Hollow came along, we shopped at Harding & 100 Oaks, a bit less afterwards. Harding was supposedly to be a more state-of-the-art design, but the costs were likely prohibitive. It was just fine as a discount alternative to HH & 100 Oaks, including a $1 movie theater.

23 hours ago, chris holman said:

Nashville, Tennessee, 1918...

Caption

This photograph shows many of the stores in downtown Nashville on Union and 5th Avenue. It also shows cars and pedestrians crowding the city streets.

Many people came to downtown business areas such as Nashville to shop at stores and purchase the items that they needed. With the development of automobiles and better roads to travel, many young people from rural areas came to visit the cities to shop and experience the urban life.

Source

Tennessee State Library and Archives

FB_IMG_1715274241398.jpg

This photo shows how there actually was a time, even in Nashville, when cars and pedestrians shared the roads.

1 hour ago, nashville born said:

This photo shows how there actually was a time, even in Nashville, when cars and pedestrians shared the roads.

It appears to be a parade, based of the group of folks carrying the very large American flag. 

• Like 2

Is the circled area a new set of stairs? If so, isn’t that where the new TPAC is proposed? 

IMG_3277.jpeg

11 hours ago, markhollin said:

Courtesy of Jason R:

Jason R, March, 2024, 3 x.png

Who owns the parking lot directly behind the Embassy Suites?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Is the circled area a new set of stairs? If so, isn’t that where the new TPAC is proposed? 

IMG_3277.jpeg

It looks like First Baptist Church.

Screenshot_20240518_190301_onX Hunt.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

IMG_3277.jpeg

I have walked up those steps several times over the past 4 years. We park there (for free) on weekends when we go to Preds games. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Those stairs have been there for a long time and maybe since the bridge was opened to pedestrians. It is a wheelchair ramp plus stairs. There is sort of two scenarios floating around and I do not think it is set in stone yet. But yes, that is the general area being proposed for TPAC as it is Parcel E or E1.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1