Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on-the-rise/it-feels-like-a-real-airport-in-a-real-city-nashville-international-airport-opens-grand-lobby-to-first-travelers

Article about the opening of the lobby, the rest of BNA vision, and the new horizons plan that is to follow (or whatever the name for it is). Interesting that their new goal is 135 destinations. I’m having a hard time imagining where he could be thinking of, unless Southwest or someone is planning a major Caribbean/Central American route expansion. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on-the-rise/it-feels-like-a-real-airport-in-a-real-city-nashville-international-airport-opens-grand-lobby-to-first-travelers

Article about the opening of the lobby, the rest of BNA vision, and the new horizons plan that is to follow (or whatever the name for it is). Interesting that their new goal is 135 destinations. I’m having a hard time imagining where he could be thinking of, unless Southwest or someone is planning a major Caribbean/Central American route expansion. 

The article also quoted airport CEO Doug Kreulen saying that once the international arrivals area is finished, they hope to have a 2nd European destination, "probably somewhere in Central Europe."  Is Frankfurt considered Central Europe?  I don't think Paris and Amsterdam are considered Central Europe.  So maybe Lufthansa to Frankfurt?

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

The article also quoted airport CEO Doug Kreulen saying that once the international arrivals area is finished, they hope to have a 2nd European destination, "probably somewhere in Central Europe."  Is Frankfurt considered Central Europe?  I don't think Paris and Amsterdam are considered Central Europe.  So maybe Lufthansa to Frankfurt?

Fairly certain it will end up like an Austin or Salt Lake City type of airport with 3-4 European nonstops, a couple being seasonal perhaps.

Icelandair and Aer Lingus I could see flying to Nashville in addition to the more major airlines like Lufthansa or Air France/KLM. Icelandair already flies to Raleigh and many Irish tourists visit Nashville.

I also think nonstop flights to Mexico should work out in the future. 

• Like 4

Overview of the 5 new restaurants/retailers just opened in the new terminal (The Pharmacy Burger Parlor, Natalie's Candy Bar, Country Music Hall of Fame Shop, Draper James, and Music City Shop), plus 5 additional restaurants opening in September (Slim & Husky's, Hattie B's, Acme Feed & Seed, The Goo Goo Shop, and Smashville Bar).

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2023/01/26/5-new-restaurants-and-shops-to-check-out-at-nashville-airport-bna/69826551007/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I'm thinking maybe it'll be Eurowings Discover which is owned by Lufthansa but serves more leisure type destinations such as Tampa, Salt Lake, Fort Myers, and Las Vegas.

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

OH NO!!!!!!  The Frankfurt airport is a flustercuck every time I've flown through there.  However, I'd love a Nashville to Munich flight. Wow! Just wow! 

That said, I’ll take FRA over Heathrow any day. I agree that Munich is a superior airport!

• Like 3

An article detailing the new art installation in the New grand lobby. Sounds pretty cool! Can't wait to see it in person. 

From the article:

"The new terminal art in Nashville International Airport’s grand lobby was created by Studio Gentilhomme, a digital art firm from Montreal, and features two panoramic screens, each 70ft wide at 24K combined resolution. The screens will display everything from local beauty spots to sports highlights and more. The idea is to show Nashville off at its largest door to the world."

Scenes that will be displayed include but are not limited to:

Guitar manufacturing

A display explaining how whiskey is made.

Nashville at night, going through the city’s skyline

Broadway Street, Nashville’s town center thoroughfare

Sports in Nashville that celebrates the city’s American football, soccer, hockey, baseball, and other sporting teams

Nature scenes showing the nearby Great Smoky Mountains and many bodies of water

Nashville International Airport Unveils New Art Installation

https://simpleflying.com/nashville-international-airport-unveils-art-installation/

• Like 4

13 hours ago, nashmoney said:

An article detailing the new art installation in the New grand lobby. Sounds pretty cool! Can't wait to see it in person. 

From the article:

"The new terminal art in Nashville International Airport’s grand lobby was created by Studio Gentilhomme, a digital art firm from Montreal, and features two panoramic screens, each 70ft wide at 24K combined resolution. The screens will display everything from local beauty spots to sports highlights and more. The idea is to show Nashville off at its largest door to the world."

Scenes that will be displayed include but are not limited to:

Guitar manufacturing

A display explaining how whiskey is made.

Nashville at night, going through the city’s skyline

Broadway Street, Nashville’s town center thoroughfare

Sports in Nashville that celebrates the city’s American football, soccer, hockey, baseball, and other sporting teams

Nature scenes showing the nearby Great Smoky Mountains and many bodies of water

Nashville International Airport Unveils New Art Installation

https://simpleflying.com/nashville-international-airport-unveils-art-installation/

Well, Simple Flying isn't well-known to be great at article writing with glaring grammatical errors galore. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/01/nashville-airport-sports-venues-target-of-state-takeover-effort/69861089007/

Just saw that additional bills have been filed by the state legislature in their larger retaliatory effort to exert control over Nashville institutions, including a majority state-appointed board for BNA. Practically speaking, what effect would this have if passed? I honestly never thought of airport expansions as being a political matter, since they're necessary for ordinary people and businesses alike from entire regions, but I guess they could potentially have authority to block something like a light rail link to the airport? Looking at other airports, there seems to be variety in the composition of such boards, with for example Boston (Massport) having majority governor appointees, Louisville having majority mayoral appointees, and San Francisco's board being a department of the local government.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

On 1/27/2023 at 1:55 PM, NashRugger said:

Well, Simple Flying isn't well-known to be great at article writing with glaring grammatical errors galore. 

Simple Flying is a joke. I stopped using them for any sort of information a long time ago...Way too many factual errors compounded with just bad writing destroyed their credibility for me. The dumb clickbait articles didn't help, either.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 8:49 AM, AsianintheNations said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/01/nashville-airport-sports-venues-target-of-state-takeover-effort/69861089007/

Just saw that additional bills have been filed by the state legislature in their larger retaliatory effort to exert control over Nashville institutions, including a majority state-appointed board for BNA. Practically speaking, what effect would this have if passed? I honestly never thought of airport expansions as being a political matter, since they're necessary for ordinary people and businesses alike from entire regions, but I guess they could potentially have authority to block something like a light rail link to the airport? Looking at other airports, there seems to be variety in the composition of such boards, with for example Boston (Massport) having majority governor appointees, Louisville having majority mayoral appointees, and San Francisco's board being a department of the local government.

The idiom "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind. The hayseeds are in a blind rage right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

The idiom "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind. The hayseeds are in a blind rage right now. 

Well, I have been thinking of that idiom, but have not said it, because we do not know if that will come to pass, but it may well happen. I would in fact refrain from Hayseeds as we are all trying to stay away from any name calling, please. This is for all sides involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well, I have been thinking of that idiom, but have not said it, because we do not know if that will come to pass, but it may well happen. I would in fact refrain from Hayseeds as we are all trying to stay away from any name calling, please. This is for all sides involved.

It's a lot tamer than what they deserve to be called. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1