Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

November numbers are out, 1,806,913 total passengers, up 18.1% over November 2021, which was already up over November 2019. 

Source: https://flynashville.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/112022_TotalPassengers.pdf

Very strong month, and very strong growth! 

Realistic chance of hitting 11,000,000 halfway through the fiscal year.

• Like 4

I realize the satellite concourse is viewed as a temporary (20ish years) structure but I really wish it was designed to match concourse D, especially with planes only servicing one side of it. I did notice in board minutes from early fall that one of the MNAA commissioners asked about the concession program and if paradies had experience with "ULCC terminals", perhaps they will shove spirit allegiant and frontier out there? They mentioned jimmy John's as an almost done deal for there as well. I will try and cite that nugget when I get back to work tomorrow.

Today is afternoon. 😬
206 flights canceled in and out of Nashville after snowy weather. 

Breakdown of canceled flights by departure: 

Jet Blue - 1
United - 1
Southwest - 47

Breakdown of canceled flights by arrival: 

Spirit - 1
United - 1
Southwest - 57. 

Tomorrow  201 flights canceled in and out of BNA. 

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

The new 130,000 sq. ft. central terminal lobby will open on Jan. 24, 2023, with a capacity of over 70,000 passengers per day.

More behind theTennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2022/12/29/first-look-new-nashville-international-airport-terminal-heralds-2040/69695656007/

Airport Terminal Dec 29, 2022, 1.png

Airport Terminal, Dec 29, 2022, 2.png

A rendering of Jacob Hashimoto's $100,000 hanging fiberglass sculpture that is being installed in the lobby.

Airport Terminal, Dec 29, 2022, render.png

Dang it, I return from my next work trip on the 20th! Maybe they’ll open it early? Like a soft opening? ;) 

• Like 1

So the Tennessean article is written very oddly,  it seems to double back on itself a few times.  In any event,  when the central lobby opens on 1/24,  is a central TSA checkpoint opening as well?   Or will TSA remain split into two checkpoints, one for  A/B and one for C/D,  until some later date in 2023?   Likewise,  will the connector between A/B and C/D after  TSA security remain closed until a later date,  or is that connection also part of what is opening on 1/24?   

Seems like there will be sheetrock covering the "T gates" which is the expansion of the post-security lobby. The airport should look and feel how it did pre-construction. The secure side of the temporary checkpoints will be converted to restaurants and retail where available, although I would imagine the north side would not see anything with the A gates being demolished when the international facility and satellite concourse comes online. The landside as it were will be expansion of ticket counters.

I haven't seen detailed renderings, but is the IAB essentially under the newly renovated lobby? Processing, baggage claim etc.? Will the jet bridges have a foyer between the bridge and the seating area with a ramp down to the second level if it's an international arrival and the door to the seating area remains sealed? My only experience in international air travel is those landboats at IAD docking with planes at a hardstand to shuttle us to customs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chato_reyes said:

Will the jet bridges have a foyer between the bridge and the seating area with a ramp down to the second level if it's an international arrival and the door to the seating area remains sealed?

I think this sounds sort of like Miami Intl's set up,  of course theirs is on a much larger scale.   

I am glad to hear that the centralized security checkpoint is indeed opening on 1/24,  which will presumably also mean that the  Clear lane will again be available for all flights,  whereas it has only been available in the North terminal during the renovation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Melrose said:

I think this sounds sort of like Miami Intl's set up,  of course theirs is on a much larger scale.   

I am glad to hear that the centralized security checkpoint is indeed opening on 1/24,  which will presumably also mean that the  Clear lane will again be available for all flights,  whereas it has only been available in the North terminal during the renovation.

BWI D1 and D3 have that type of setup if I recall correctly. If anyone's flown SW into DCA, some of those jetbridges have staircases down to the ground level, but those aren't used for customs control.

Regarding clear, combing through their twitter replies someone asked and Clear will be retained and available for all passengers. 

I am flying on 2/16 and excited to see the changes. Supposed to be a whole slate of new shopping and retail in the lobby area with a target opening date of 1/24 to match, but their buildouts rarely go to schedule.

• Like 2