South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

Guys I don't know what to think anymore about the SC football team! Three more guys arrested for underage drinking. I don't know the numbers, but this has to be like 10 arrests so far this year. This is really gettting embaresing, not only for USC people, but for our state. What can be done??? :dontknow:

It is embarrassing for the state. The thing is, it's not a new problem, either! USC had a problem with their football players being arrested when Holtz was coaching. At least it's ONLY underage drinking this time and not bar fights or something worse.

In related news, James Davis hurt his shoulder in practice. He will be out for the rest of Spring practice.

And, I'm ready for September!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was irked at first, but lets don't pretend like college football players don't drink. That would be quite naive. I went to Clemson too, and I saw them out downtown. The only difference between Clemson and USC players is that the Clemson guys have enough sense not to get caught with it.

Guys I don't know what to think anymore about the SC football team! Three more guys arrested for underage drinking. I don't know the numbers, but this has to be like 10 arrests so far this year. This is really gettting embaresing, not only for USC people, but for our state. What can be done??? :dontknow:

Have a coaching administration that takes discipline seriously. In this case, Garcia is about on his fifth strike of Coach Spurrier's three strike policy, beginning with his incident of keying a professor's car last year. He seems like a head case at this point. I believe I would advise him to look for options elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure no one was "arrested". They were ticketed for underage drinking, which is not very shocking considering 90% of college students under 21 drink.

I am a little annoyed at the fact that Garcia seems to not care about his actions though. You would think that after all the other incidents he would be a little more careful and just chill out. I guess he's just spoiled. <_<

I read the article in the Observer today, and I think I understand the problem. Garcia's older brother who is 25 is also at Carolina, and I suspect he is part of the problem, since he can probably get is younger brother into bars and supplies him with alcohol. Spurrier said that Garcia's fate is in the hands of the USC Admins now. Look like Chris Smelley will be our starting QB this year.

I'm pretty sure no one was "arrested". They were ticketed for underage drinking, which is not very shocking considering 90% of college students under 21 drink.

I am a little annoyed at the fact that Garcia seems to not care about his actions though. You would think that after all the other incidents he would be a little more careful and just chill out. I guess he's just spoiled. <_<

As a college student under 21 I can tell you that is a lie. The laws are the laws and every knows when they are breaking them. "Everyone does it" excuses do not help the situation.

As a college student under 21 I can tell you that is a lie. The laws are the laws and every knows when they are breaking them. "Everyone does it" excuses do not help the situation.

As a former under 21 college student, I can tell you that underage college students drink. A lot of them do, and you're fooling yourself to think otherwise. Please don't put words in my mouth as I never said it was ok for him to be drinking because "everyone does it". All I said was that a college student being caught for underage drinking is not a shocker, a 14 year old maybe.

Yes, it's against the law, but so is speeding. I'm not making any excuses for Garcia, I think he's a spoiled brat who deserves to be disciplined. He certainly hasn't learned from his mistakes.

SO much for this! A loss to a Southern conference team at home will take care of that! :angry::angry::angry:
Furman typically seems to do fairly well against South Carolina. Since 2003, Furman and South Carolina are tied for total wins against one another. It makes me proud of the Upstate's beautiful smaller local universitys and colleges. :)

Ok, after reading about the press conference today, and my multiple emails about this guy from USC, I am on the Coach Horn bandwagon. The sheer enthusiasm, energy, and passion that this guy has is amazing. He has hit the ground running full steam on day 1 with recruiting interviews lined up and getting fans excited about Carolina Basketball. He's all about packing the Colonial Center... selling season tickets for only $150 this month. He also made a great jab at Clemson during the press conference.

This is the first time that I've been excited about Carolina basketball since the second NIT win a few years back.

Go Cocks!

It seems a little too early to be making jabs at a school with a far superior program currently (we won't get into other aspects of superiority :) ). I think this was a great move by Carolina. Hopefully SC will be able to start holding its own in basketball to the teams of NC soon. We'll see what happens though.

Long live the Chicken Curse! :alc:

Well, I'm surprised this came from the women's basketball team. The football team I expect, but not this. I say boot 'em. I personally think that the only way to cure the criminal issues is a zero tolerance policy on the part of the athletic department.

It seems a little too early to be making jabs at a school with a far superior program currently

Perhaps, but jabs at the rival school are a good way to win over the fan base, which he will have to do ASAP. Not everyone is as easily swayed as I.

Perhaps, but jabs at the rival school are a good way to win over the fan base, which he will have to do ASAP. Not everyone is as easily swayed as I.

I'd rather get fans behind me on the court. But, it's true that the fastest way to a Carolina fan's heart is by putting down Clemson. I'd say that's probably the biggest difference between the two schools: the view of the in-state rivalry and its importance.

Your right. Carolina basketball fans' dedication is not as dedicated as they are to football. But compared to Clemson we also have an 18,000 seat arena to fill out, which is much harder to do than the 10,000 or so that Littlejohn can accommodate. Keep in mind that the Colonial Center can hold the entire Clemson student body. So having said that, Coach Horn is already trying to get fans excited about the game with his ticket discounts. Now it MIGHT have something to do with the pay bonus he gets based on the number of tickets sold, but I think he's genuinely excited about being at Carolina. Its going to be very interesting to see how he does next year.

Your right. Carolina basketball fans' dedication is not as dedicated as they are to football. But compared to Clemson we also have an 18,000 seat arena to fill out, which is much harder to do than the 10,000 or so that Littlejohn can accommodate. Keep in mind that the Colonial Center can hold the entire Clemson student body. So having said that, Coach Horn is already trying to get fans excited about the game with his ticket discounts. Now it MIGHT have something to do with the pay bonus he gets based on the number of tickets sold, but I think he's genuinely excited about being at Carolina. Its going to be very interesting to see how he does next year.

Clemson also doesn't share its arena with South Carolina's largest city. If the Colonial Center had only been built for SC's basketball needs, it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near 18,000 seats. :)

True. But its also a good thing they don't build facilities based solely on a few down years in a basketball program. USC's basketball program will improve significantly under Coach Horn.

I think he was a solid hire. He is young and enthusiastic, but has still demonstrated success at a mid-major school. The step up to USC is a big one for him, but he seems up for the task.

Your right. Carolina basketball fans' dedication is not as dedicated as they are to football.

Which is sad that USC wasn't able to build on the momentum of the late 60's & early 70's when they had a great basketball team. Unlike Clemson, USC actually can claim to have had a nationally prominent basketball program for several years in a row.

Archived