South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

Anybody else ready for a change at basketball head coach for USC? The B-ball team has really become somewhat of a joke, and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Dave Odem seems like a great guy, but this is a "buisiness" afterall, and the product just doesn't deliver.

Yes. The time has come. USC used to be a good basketball team that could at times compete with the likes of North Carolina, Kentucky, and dare I say- Clemson. In fact, a long with baseball, basketball is traditionally one of Carolina's stronger sports. Coach Odem has made a decent run, but its time to revive the good name of our basketball team and let Odem move on. If we can't even beat UNCA, its obvious that we have problems. What I don't understand is how we couldn't beat UNCA after those solid routes and the 100 point game at the beginning of the season.

#19 Clemson Tigers vs #1 UNC Tar Heels tonight at 7:30. Should be a great game. Littlejohn will be packed and rowdy.

UNC has had very few tests this season thus far to give them their 14-0 record. Hopefully they won't be ready for a good team when take the floor tonight in a real environment... We shall see how the first test for both teams in the ACC shapes up.

GO TIGERS!

The article in The State today really puts it into context. Clemson is truley the tarholes first test. Clemson has overcome these odds before, and I personally hope they can do it again ongiht. I'm all about upsetting the #1 team, especially when its N Car. Go Tigers!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. The time has come. USC used to be a good basketball team that could at times compete with the likes of North Carolina, Kentucky, and dare I say- Clemson. In fact, a long with baseball, basketball is traditionally one of Carolina's stronger sports. Coach Odem has made a decent run, but its time to revive the good name of our basketball team and let Odem move on. If we can't even beat UNCA, its obvious that we have problems. What I don't understand is how we couldn't beat UNCA after those solid routes and the 100 point game at the beginning of the season.

The article in The State today really puts it into context. Clemson is truley the tarholes first test. Clemson has overcome these odds before, and I personally hope they can do it again ongiht. I'm all about upsetting the #1 team, especially when its N Car. Go Tigers!

That was one helluva game. Probably the best game of the season so far. I must admit I was skeptical about Clemson but there defense was great on how they defended Tyler but in turn woke a sleeping giant in Ellington. I always knew he could play like that but Coach Roy doesn't allow him to take over games because of the "running" style of offense. I can say it will UNC, Duke and Clemson reaching for that ACC crown this year. Take heart in that you guys have a hellified coach in Purnell...this coming from a staunch diehard Tarheel fan of over 25 years. So saying these things of another ACC team kinda makes me sick to my stomach but I give respect where it is due...GO Heels

PS. I hope you guys make to the big dance this year so the ACC can get some respect back in the sport we always dominate.

I was disappointed at the outcome of that game, but Clemson played very well. Clearly they are at the level of North Carolina. I think Clemson will definitely make the tourney, and could contend for the ACC championship too. I don't think Clemson will win it, but they will be close if they don't.

Clemson got respect in the new polls that came out today, too. Even though losing usually causes you to drop, Clemson remained at #19 in one poll (ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll) and actually moved up a spot to #18 in the other (Associated Press). I was very surprised by that, but certainly feel that Clemson's play thus far in the 2007-2008 season warrants the ranking.

Clemson got respect in the new polls that came out today, too. Even though losing usually causes you to drop, Clemson remained at #19 in one poll (ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll) and actually moved up a spot to #18 in the other (Associated Press). I was very surprised by that, but certainly feel that Clemson's play thus far in the 2007-2008 season warrants the ranking.

Good. Much deserved respect at that. Its not unlike how Davison was ranked at the first of the year even though they lost to UNC.

Ohio State is going to refuse to play another SEC team in next year's championship game. They'll forfeit first. The SEC rules. Unfortunately the Gamecocks don't.

Yeah the Big Ten is overrated. Ohio State is 0 for 9 against SEC teams in bowl games, including two against Carolina. Enough said :)

What happened to Clemson? how do you go from nearly beating the #1 team in the nation to loosing to UNC Charlotte?

Also, USC lost to Vandy, but it was not the slaughtering I thought it would be.

When does football season start back?

Never heard of a "trap game?" That was a classic example, right after a massive emotional loss and only one practice to prepare for the next team - a surprisingly good team the players could have easily overlooked. Charlotte is obviously no slouch this year. The Tigers will be just fine. They are building a solid program with greater depth and more skill in every position. This should be the year they re-enter the NCAA tournament. ;)

Good news and bad news for the Clemson football team...

Star running back James Davis and outstanding defensive tackle Philip Merling have both decided to forego their senior season in favor of the NFL draft. I suspected Merling would leave, but Davis was kind of surprising, especially considering his mother wanted him to graduate and he would have definitely entered the draft with a higher reputation after his senior season. :huh:

The great news is that Clemson already has depth at the running back position and is expected to bring yet another prospective star into the lineup next season. His name is Andre Ellington, described as being very similar in style and skill to C.J. Spiller, and supposedly equally as fast. With the return of Jacoby Ford, expect blazing speed in the return department once again. Then there's the news that ESPN.com has ranked 5-star defensive end and Clemson commitment Daquan Bowers as the #1 player in the nation, the first such ever to be recruited by the school. :)

More information here

Here's an article about the ACC versus the SEC and other conferences in football. The headline is supposed to say "step out," not "stop out." The Gamecocks were basically the SEC basement team in the SEC this past season, and Clemson is on the cusp of winning an ACC title, but they beat USC by only two points.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/281421.html

More good news for Clemson football fans... with reports of the departure of star running back James Davis still very fresh on our minds, word is out that Clemson now feels very comfortable with their efforts to lure 5-star prospect Jamie Harper out of Jacksonville, Florida. His skill as a power runner would be a great replacement for the obvious vacancy left after Davis' departure.

More information

Ok, as a Carolina fan, I have to ask. WHy is SC being outrecruited so badly this year by it's biggest rivals; namely, Clemson, UGA, and UT? SC is working on a mediocre class at best, while the other three (especially Clemson and UGA) are cleaning up? WHy isn't USC in on some of these 5-star recruits? USC will never get to the next level without more talent. I thought Spurrier was supposed to be this incredible recruiter?

That would be good - too bad Davis is leaving, but Davis' impact seemed to be less last year than it was a year ago.

corgimat - can't say I need to read an article to know that SEC is a stronger football conference than ACC, doesn't take a journalist to tell me that. Fortunately though, a win against Duke or UNC might not count the same as a win against Florida or Georgia in the minds of voters, but a loss does count the same. I'm pretty satisfied with the ACC (though I would gladly dump FSU & Miami out of the ACC).

I'm not surprised Corgi. First, we had a stellar recruiting class last year, so its almost impossible to keep that level when we don't have the record to prove ourselves. Second, that mediocre record and our fast fall from the top isn't going to win us the good recruits. If we had won just 1 of our last 5 games we would have had a bowl game and we would have had a winning record, and IMO much better recruits as a result. As much as I hate to say it, this is yet another situation where we'll have to wait 'til next year.

I'm optimistic though, because we have a young team that has had to learn a lot the hard way this year, and we have a lot of good redshirt freshmen coming up next year. I think we will see some solid improvement- especially in the quarterback area. Next year our season is stacked towards the end of the season (with the exception of Georgia on week 3). That doesn't make it any easier in the SEC but we have a few games that we should win. We also still have two open slots for one more game against an unknown opponent.

USC's schedule next year (as of 1/08)

North Carolina State

Vanderbilt

Georgia

Wofford

Alabama-Birmingham

Mississippi

Kentucky

Louisiana State

OPEN

Tennessee

Arkansas

Florida

OPEN

Clemson

I would throw Mississippi in there too. Kentucky will start the last half of a very difficult season. I'm hoping that the other team we play will be a push over team so we can have a break in there somewhere. And hopefully it will be before Clemson. I'd like to see USC with a bye week during the middle of the season next year.

Also, it looks like other people think that Carolina will be in the top 25 next year.

I would throw Mississippi in there too. Kentucky will start the last half of a very difficult season. I'm hoping that the other team we play will be a push over team so we can have a break in there somewhere. And hopefully it will be before Clemson. I'd like to see USC with a bye week during the middle of the season next year.

Also, it looks like other people think that Carolina will be in the top 25 next year.

They've got Clemson at 9. I'm really looking forward to opening in Atlanta with Alabama.

Clemson plays their second ACC basketball game today against FSU. Hopefully the loss to Charlotte was a real learning experience for the team

USC's schedule next year (as of 1/08)

North Carolina State

Vanderbilt

Georgia

Wofford

Alabama-Birmingham

Mississippi

Kentucky

Louisiana State

OPEN

Tennessee

Arkansas

Florida

OPEN

Clemson

I know last year's class was very good, but if you want to get to the next level, you have to put together several good classes in a row, not follow up a good one witha mediocre one, while all your rivals get better ones. And USC started off badly this year with recruiting, even since the start of the season, so I don't think the losses at the end had a lot of bearing.

This is another beast of a schedule, and another 0-5 finish is a very real possibility unfortunately. And if they are not playing much better, an 0-3 start may be in the cards as well. I think absolute best scenario is 8-4, worst is 3-9. Most likely seems 6-6 or even 5-7 :( If Usc has another 6-6 season, or even a losing season, where can they go from there? Sometimes I think maybe Lee Corso might actually know what he is talking about :ph34r:

Good points. This is no different than its been since USC joined the SEC. But if they are all redshirted it wont matter anyway, at least in the short run. I hope that Spurrier's staffing changes along with the class he pulled together last year will be enough to get us out of the hole we're in in terms of recruiting and winning. Its sort of ironic because this past year was really our best shot at the championship in a long time since most of the other SEC East teams were down.

Clemson beat FSU tonight in double over time 97-85. It was one hell of a game, if any of you missed it! They improve to 13-3 on the season and 1-1 in the ACC.

The Tigers will play host to NC State on Tuesday night, and take on Duke Saturday at Cameron. Hopefully they watch their clocks this year... :P

GO TIGERS!

Take this opinion any way you want to - but I would rather be in the Big East than SEC. Big East has built a strong reputation, even with losing Va Tech, Miami & BC, has a good number of bowl seeds - but isn't cannibalistic the way SEC is. As for basketball, I think most people know by now you don't have to be in a major conference to gain recognition - so that doesn't even matter. But I think the Big East might be the smartest conference to be in - if you're actually concerned with having a winning program & not bragging rights over who loses to the toughest teams.

I can understand that. SC did have a couple of good B-ball teams when Fogler was there, and actually one the reg season cahmpionship one year. I never understood what happened with Fogler, anybody have any insight? As for USC, only the baseball team has actually been able to break through and make some noise in the conference. And even they have been alittle down the past couple of years, but at least they "look like they belong in the SEC". As for football, I don't think being in a non SEC schedule would help them in recruiting. They may actually win a few more games against lesser competition, but they would still be going up against all the same teams for recruits, and not being in the SEC may actually hurt them in that regard.

Take this opinion any way you want to - but I would rather be in the Big East than SEC. Big East has built a strong reputation, even with losing Va Tech, Miami & BC, has a good number of bowl seeds - but isn't cannibalistic the way SEC is. As for basketball, I think most people know by now you don't have to be in a major conference to gain recognition - so that doesn't even matter. But I think the Big East might be the smartest conference to be in - if you're actually concerned with having a winning program & not bragging rights over who loses to the toughest teams.

But having a winning program in the SEC is that much more challenging, and people generally respect the level of talent you have to maintain to compete there (as Ohio State has shown us over and over again). You're suggesting taking the easy way out :)

I can understand that. SC did have a couple of good B-ball teams when Fogler was there, and actually one the reg season cahmpionship one year. I never understood what happened with Fogler, anybody have any insight? As for USC, only the baseball team has actually been able to break through and make some noise in the conference. And even they have been alittle down the past couple of years, but at least they "look like they belong in the SEC". As for football, I don't think being in a non SEC schedule would help them in recruiting. They may actually win a few more games against lesser competition, but they would still be going up against all the same teams for recruits, and not being in the SEC may actually hurt them in that regard.

Funny you should mention baseball. Carolina was ranked #2 in the preseason polls for baseball- the highest of six SEC teams to be ranked. Our team should be phenomenal this year, and once again we should be in contention for the national championship.

In SC, Clemson and Coastal Carolina were also ranked. Clemson should have another good year too. Both Clemson and Carolina have tough schedules as far as baseball goes. The SEC and the ACC seem relatively evenly matched.

Archived