South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

The immediate outlook for our state's two largest schools' football teams have flipped since 3 weeks ago.

Latest results:

#25 Clemson Tigers 47, Duke Bluedevils 10

Arkansas Razorbacks 48, #23 South Carolina Gamecocks 36

Take a look a this surprising change of events so far...

October 13, 2007:

SC Gamecocks 6-1 (ranked in top 10)

CU Tigers 4-2 (unranked)

November 3, 2007:

SC Gamecocks: 6-4 (rank sinking)

CU Tigers: 7-2 (rank rising)

With BC and Wake Forest losing, The Tigers' ACC championship hopes are completely in their own hands now, since they play both teams at home within the next two weeks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With BC and Wake Forest losing, The Tigers' ACC championship hopes are completely in their own hands now, since they play both teams at home within the next two weeks.

Clemson has a great opportunity in front of it. Hopefully the home field advantage will help the Tigers to victory these next two weeks! Besides, Oregon claims to have broken our sound record and Death Valley needs to get it back!

GO TIGERS!

I'd say that Carolina has had a very "Clemson-like" season so far. Its definitely been a season of two halves for USC. Based on our inconsistency, I don't even feel comfortable making a prediction on Florida as we have always given them a tough game under Spurrier. There is a reasonable chance we can win the Palmetto Bowl since the game is at Williams-Brice this year. But I want to see how Clemson does against Wake and Boston College before I think too much about the big game.

Clemson's future is definitely in their hands. Wake has been squeezing by against other ACC schools (except UNC) so I'm interested to see how well Clemson will do against them. Clemson has had some great wins the past few weeks... but against some very crappy teams. I think the true test is Boston College. They are a solid team this year.

I'd say that Carolina has had a very "Clemson-like" season so far. Its definitely been a season of two halves for USC. Based on our inconsistency, I don't even feel comfortable making a prediction on Florida as we have always given them a tough game under Spurrier. There is a reasonable chance we can win the Palmetto Bowl since the game is at Williams-Brice this year. But I want to see how Clemson does against Wake and Boston College before I think too much about the big game.

In all honesty, South Carolina has been having a very "Carolina-like" season so far. Since joining the SEC, the Gamecocks have had excellent September records, so-so October records and absolutely abysmal November records. Which is say that USC's schedule has been back loaded since 1992, and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. I believe under Coach Holtz, USC only won three games in November in six seasons. Coach Spurrier had a good first year in November, beating Arkansas and Florida, then things returned to form last year and the team was swept in their last three SEC games. USC was 3-5 last year in the SEC, and a loss away from 3-5 again, and they've gone 3-5 or worse in four of the seven years of this decade in conference.

Now that the season is approaching its final lap, you can start to get an idea of post-season possibilities for the state's teams.

USC, having lost the last three, could be on the edge of a precipice for not making a bowl game this year, even with six wins. There will be more six win clubs in the SEC than available slots. Simply put, USC must win at least one of its two remaining games against Florida and Clemson to be assured of a post-season appearance somewhere (Nashville, Shreveport, or Memphis are possibilities). With other six win SEC teams available, I simply cannot imagine a USC team, on a five loss skid, going anywhere. Having the week off between Florida and Clemson will help matters out considerably. In other words, USC no longer has a margin for error for making a bowl game, anyone, this year.

Clemson, as has been noted, is in control of its own destiny for a trip to the Orange Bowl that comes with being ACC Champion. Barring an ACC title, the Tigers could beat Wake Forest, and probably still need to beat USC, for a trip to the Gator Bowl on January 1st, if they lose to Boston College.

In lower divisions, Wofford took a hit yesterday, in losing to Georgia Southern. But if the Terriers defeat Chattanooga this Saturday, they will clinch a conference co-title, and playoff berth. Again, this is beyond surprising for Wofford this year, and surprising that Furman, a likely playoff team, has fallen apart. Newberry, in Division II ranks, Newberry is a victory away from a probable playoff berth. No other SC colleges are up for post season playoff berths.

I'm not sure what you mean by "actual" position. The rankings are what they are.

Carolina is still showing its youth, making far too many mistakes. My hopes of Clemson vs Carolina being two ranked teams this year have been squashed, but admittedly not by the team I expected it to be. Part of the problem is the lack of a decent quarterback.

USC will improve, as much as I still dislike Spurrier (or for that matter his coaching - he's made some questionable calls on some games I've watched) one thing is certain - he will attract some of the best players far beyond USC's traditional recruitment region. Though he does have his work cut out for him, besides Mitchell, the offensive line is very weak. Nonetheless, Spurrier might not make USC into an SEC power - he will keep them winning & every now & then compete for SEC title.

As for Clemson, I'll gladly eat crow now, I thought they were done for the year but they are playing strong. But the next two games (though I admit I won't be upset if Clemson loses to USC as long as they play for ACC title) will be tough playing, not just because they are quality teams but because they both will be showing up with a lot to improve as both BC & USC are on losing streaks. But nonetheless, if Clemson beats BC & makes it to the title game everyone will shut up about wanting Bowden fired (especially since the special teams have improved).

We do have a chance in the future for a solid win. I think an SEC Championship is not out of the question at all. But as we all know, there is very little room for error in the SEC East. Any team can come out and win if the other team isn't completely on top of things. I think the entire offense sucks, which has probably been the one consistent thing about this season. Our defense is decent, but not perfect.

The Clemson-BC game will be a good one. If Clemson wins that one, there will be some solid momentum for the Carolina game.

I've always found it rather interesting the Carolina's bye week is always at the end of the season, while other teams get it in the middle. Any thoughts on whether or not the timing of the bye week makes a difference in performance?

I've always found it rather interesting the Carolina's bye week is always at the end of the season, while other teams get it in the middle. Any thoughts on whether or not the timing of the bye week makes a difference in performance?

This is actually the first year in recent memory that USC has had a bye week, after 11 straight weeks, before the Clemson game. Last year, USC played Middle Tn. State to get its seventh win, then Clemson. Last year, Clemson played 11 straight weeks, then the week off before USC.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/se...s.php?year=1980

USC did have an off week between the loss to Pacific and the loss to Clemson in 1981, but it appears to be a very rare practice. So the bye week appears to be always at the middle of the season, rather than the end. Though next season, USC will have two off weeks. One may be before the Clemson game, not sure though.

USC has about done the unthinkable, going from 6th in the nation to out of any post season appearances. A win over Clemson is about mandatory to ensure a bowl game.

Clemson is playing as well as any other team in the nation right now. This Saturday night's game vs. Boston College will go a long way towards reaching some goals and setting standards for next year. Clemson is actually a "younger" team than USC, with just five seniors on the two deep depth chart and 12 freshman on the two deep chart.

Around the state, unfortunately Newberry College did not make the Division II playoffs, after a very good year. Wofford did clinch the Southern Conference title, which is about as significant as Wake Forest winning the ACC last year, so the Terriers will go to the I AA playoff in a couple of weeks.

For the rest of the state's teams, other than Clemson and USC, the regular season ends this Saturday.

Has there ever been a discussion on this site about the economic and other impacts of the state high school championship weekend at USC in early December?

Well, basketball season is upon us.

Has anyone heard anything about any of the colleges in SC?

I expect that Clemson is going to do pretty well this year. They are off to a good start so far, and they had a few votes in the preseason polls, but no ranking.

This year is Carolina's 100th year playing basketball. They are off to a good start with a couple of solid routes- albeit of some minor teams. Last night's game against the Citadel resulted in Carolina's widest margin of victory since 1948: 103-42. I always have high hopes. We'll see how they do against Southern Cal this saturday. (USC beat SoCal in their inaugural game at their new stadium last year :shades: )

----

Going back to football, the Palmetto Bowl is going to be on ESPN2 at 7pm. I'm very excited about the night game :)

Well, basketball season is upon us.

Has anyone heard anything about any of the colleges in SC?

I expect that Clemson is going to do pretty well this year. They are off to a good start so far, and they had a few votes in the preseason polls, but no ranking.

This year is Carolina's 100th year playing basketball. They are off to a good start with a couple of solid routes- albeit of some minor teams. Last night's game against the Citadel resulted in Carolina's widest margin of victory since 1948: 103-42. I always have high hopes. We'll see how they do against Southern Cal this saturday. (USC beat SoCal in their inaugural game at their new stadium last year :shades: )

----

Going back to football, the Palmetto Bowl is going to be on ESPN2 at 7pm. I'm very excited about the night game :)

I think there were two in-state matchups last night if I'm not mistaken: Clemson/Furman and CofC/Citadel. Not sure what the outcome was for either game, though.

This year will be Winthrop's first with our new coach. We'll see how things go.

Clemson is predicted to be 4th in the ACC this year, after only losing one scholarship player from last year's 25 win team. The Tigers face a huge game against Mississippi State on Thursday, along with a decent non conference schedule. In year five of the Oliver Purnell era, and ten seasons since a NCAA berth, getting to the NCAA tournament is about essential. The new point guard is a true freshman, so he will have to mature quickly, but otherwise the rest of the team is back.

USC was picked last in the SEC in basketball, hard to say what they have at the moment.

Winthrop will be interesting. They lost three top players to graduation, the likely starting point guard was killed in a traffic accident and a new coach, promoted from assistant. Even under the best of circumstances, the Eagles won't have as good a team this year as last. Hopefully, Coach Peele won't get any blowback from following a legend. The Big South just wont be very good this year, so the Eagles will have that going for them.

After the loss to BC, Clemson is ranked 21 in the AP, 22 in the Coaches poll.

USC lost to S. Cal which wasn't much of a surprise. We held them to 10 points, which is better than I expected. This loss doesn't make the rest of the season look any brighter.

And Wofford got a bid to the FCS (I-AA) playoffs by being the Southern Conference champions and will travel all the way to play undefeated Montana on Saturday.

Saturday in Columbia should be interesting. Both Clemson and USC are coming off home losses. A Clemson win would secure a post season slot no worse than the January 1st Gator Bowl. USC simply must win to ensure any type of bowl game. The SEC has turned to having Miss State, Vanderbilt and South Carolina needing a win in their last game to guarantee any type of bowl action.

In addition to MS State and Vanderbilt, there is Alabama, who lost to LA-Monroe last weekend. MS State and Alabama have the same overall record (6-5) as USC right now, so if USC wants a shot at a decent bowl game a win over Clemson is crucial. Like you said, it will be interesting.

In addition to MS State and Vanderbilt, there is Alabama, who lost to LA-Monroe last weekend. MS State and Alabama have the same overall record (6-5) as USC right now, so if USC wants a shot at a decent bowl game a win over Clemson is crucial. Like you said, it will be interesting.

I heard an interesting stat about that Alabama/LA-Monroe game that is kind of hilarious. Apparently the lowest paid 1-A coach in the nation beat the highest paid 1-A coach in the nation that day. Just goes to show that you don't always get what you pay for... :lol:

There is a good article about the Clemson-Carolina rivalry in The State today. It focuses a more on USC, but it talks about how the nature of it has changed since the fight 3 years ago. There is much more cooperation between the two schools. The best quote is this one from Tommy Bowden:

"If this rivalry ever wants to get to the national prominence it needs and deserves, then we've both got to have success," Bowden says. "Then it becomes more marketable for TV... . . So, until we're both having success on a consistent level, the rivalry's not going to get the respect that it deserves."

Aside from getting USC's colors wrong, it is a good article and hopefully very telling of the future that the rivalry will have.

Yeah I guess Bowden has a point about both schools needing to be ranked high in order to get the attention they deserve. I can see both clemson and south carolina being ranked 1 or 2 in the polls and then playing that last game. That would be killer.

Archived