South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

If NC State's pitiful showing against North Carolina is any indicator, Clemson should have no problem with them.

We said the same thing about UNC-Charlotte's performances against Tulsa and Monmouth. :)

I do agree, though, that Clemson should not have a problem with NCSU. The Charlotte game was an anomaly for several reasons (emotionally drained from UNC game, uncharacteristically poor shooting from the outside, two days to prepare, etc.).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Congrats to Clemson's top-notch recruiting class this year. There are various opinions to who well they did. ESPN has them at #2, while Scouts.com has them at #11 and Rivals.com at #12. Perhaps the reality is that they are some where in between. I'm personally more inclined to agree with ESPN, even in spite of my own biases.

Carolina only made the list on Rivals.com at #22. I am disappointed at the recruits this year given last year's all time best recruiting class- but its not unexpected given our major crash at the end of the past season.

I think that the future should be bright for both school. I'm hoping that in the next 5-10 years we see both schools ranked in the top 10 in terms of recruiting and during the playing season.

Bus SC was doing poorly in recruiting even when they were 6-1. I think their class was ranked somewhere in the 40s or even 50s at that time. :wacko: It was kinda like they never got going with the recruiting this year. I remember back in Sept and Oct when most teams had 10-15 commits, SC only had like 6. They might have ended up with an ok clas, but when all the teams you are trying to catch and beat (UGA, UCF, UC) had top 10 classes, that does not bode well for us. We'll see, but SC schedule next year will be even tougher than this year's was. Even a good team can loose the last 6 on their schedule, and the first three will be no bargain, especially if they pick up where they left off. In truth, a winning season may be unlikely for next year.

Its not out of our grasp though. Carolina doesn't have a crappy class this year, and the class from last year is still top notch. Spurrier just has to prove himself IMO. Its true that recruiting wasn't "great" even at 6-1 but do you really think that winning more games would not have improved the situation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ol' Yardcocks are setting up for another great season in baseball. #10 Carolina swept #13 Clemson this weekend, holding them to 1 run in both games. Scores were 10-1 on Saturday and 5-1 on Sunday. The win over Clemson gave Coach Tanner his 900th career win. These wins are particularly impressive because Clemson is also a very talented team. I just wish the rivalry games weren't so early in the season.

Go Cocks!

It'll be interesting to see how the two teams match up later in the season.

In other news, Clemson's basketball team just beat Maryland in a stunning 73-70 victory in College Park, MD. The Tigers have two more ACC games before the big dance (@ GT & VT at home). They currently sit at #3 in the conference! :thumbsup:

The ol' Yardcocks are setting up for another great season in baseball. #10 Carolina swept #13 Clemson this weekend, holding them to 1 run in both games. Scores were 10-1 on Saturday and 5-1 on Sunday. The win over Clemson gave Coach Tanner his 900th career win. These wins are particularly impressive because Clemson is also a very talented team. I just wish the rivalry games weren't so early in the season.

Go turkeys!

Congrats to the gcocks for thouroughly beating the cats!

BUT, HOW many football players are going to get arrested??? This is like one every other week! Come on guys, stop doing stuff you're not supposed to be doing! :dontknow::sick:

No, its a quite simple explanation :)

Distortedlogic quoted me and changed the text in the quote. If you go back to my post, it says "Go Cocks." I'm well within my right to go fix it, but I'll leave it alone. I'm not sure where the turkey thing came from either... I guess he's a bit of a sore loser when it comes to Clemson-Carolina.

No, its a quite simple explanation :)

Distortedlogic quoted me and changed the text in the quote. If you go back to my post, it says "Go turkeys." I'm well within my right to go fix it, but I'll leave it alone. I'm not sure where the turkey thing came from either... I guess he's a bit of a sore loser when it comes to Clemson-Carolina.

Actually that is not the explanation at all. I can't believe you didn't know that I am a huge USC fan! For whatever reason, everytime I write c-o-c-k-s from my computer, or even quote it, it shows up as "turkeys" on the page. :dontknow: That is the only reason why I said a Clemson fan must have programmed something in> :rolleyes: It certainly wasn't me, I am in shock we finally beat Clemson in something!

^My bad! I certainly would never accuse a fellow Gamecock of such horrible things! That was an honest mistake.

Seriously though, it sounds like you have a macro/worm that probably did come from a Clemson fan. A quick virus scan will find it. If you don't have virus protection, use AVG's free software. Or do the ZoneAlarm free trial. Back when I had a PC thats what I used to flush out the viruses. Of course, getting a Mac would solve that problem from its root ;)

I've always wondered what this thread has to do with urban planning, etc.? I know the argument that a city needs sports and recreation is a valid topic, but that's not what this one is about. Seems this is more about specific teams performance and bragging rights--how does that relate?

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not against rooting for the local team. Just not sure how this relates to UP. OK, I'll get my shield out now . . .

^ It doesn't have anything to do with urban issues, and yes, it is essentially bragging rights, with some minor sports discussion. Its a single place for all off topic sports banter. Before this thread that type of conversation would come up in random threads around the forum, particularly in the higher education thread, since most Clemson and Carolina related things end up there. So, staff decided that rather than ban this type of discussion we would just have one thread dedicated to the subject to make our lives easier. Perhaps it could be labeled better to indicate that its off topic. If you have any thoughts on that, please let me know :)

I hope that answers your question.

^ It doesn't have anything to do with urban issues, and yes, it is essentially bragging rights, with some minor sports discussion. Its a single place for all off topic sports banter. Before this thread that type of conversation would come up in random threads around the forum, particularly in the higher education thread, since most Clemson and Carolina related things end up there. So, staff decided that rather than ban this type of discussion we would just have one thread dedicated to the subject to make our lives easier. Perhaps it could be labeled better to indicate that its off topic. If you have any thoughts on that, please let me know :)

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the explanation, Spartan. Maybe it should be labelled "Off-topic" as you suggested.

Again, I'm certainly not against S.C. college sports, was just playing devil's advocate.

Archived