South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SC's recruiting class is starting to shape up pretty nicely. Over the past 3-4 weeks thay have added several 4 star comittments. Rankings probably mean little, but as of today, rivals.com has SC at #14. I know they have at least a couple more 4 star athletes that are showing interest. Anyone know how many scholarship they have to give this year? Aren't they down by 2 for restrictions? Only 2 problems with the recruiting so far; 1) I don't see a lot of o-line people and only 1 running back, and 2) their ranking puts them #6 in the SEC, still behind UGA and UT.

There are 25 scholarships available and they've filled 21. So USC might move up a spot or two, but I'd say this is about as good as its going to get this year. I would like to get in the top 10 every year, but its definitely shaping up better. Its fortunate for us that Tommy Bowden was "fired." There is a 4-star Clemson recruit, Ben Axon, that switched his commitment to Carolina today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rough day for the turkeys yesterday! Almost reminded me of the 59-0 debacle to Fla St in the late 80s. On the good side, Devante Hollman commited to USC on Friday. Rivals now has our recruiting class ranked at number 12. I think there are still a couple of 4 star recruits who are consideing USC as well. Also, The Mens b-ball team has an early 2-0 start. :good:

Carolina really blew it this weekend. At first it was just our own mistakes, but then UF got to playing and proved they were a far superior team even without our mistakes. But to our credit, the loss was to the #3 team in the land that could very well be a contender for the national title. They're a great team. Not that I don't hate them, but I have to respect that level of talent. At least we're still going bowling, and the Palmetto Bowl should be a good game.

I'm looking forward to basketball season for the first time in a long time. I like Coach Horn's style. He is really trying to build up a fanbase and get the students more involved. I watched part of the Carolina-Jacksonville State game (the first time ever for a Gamecocks vs Gamecocks matchup in any sport), and I am hopeful for the rest of the season. Also, the giant "SOUTH CAROLINA" arched lettering thing on the bball court looks like crap.

Why not? Clemson has not had a stellar season by any means, and ours has been above average except for Florida. Its ok to loose to the #3 team, especially when you didn't deserve to be #25 in the first place. Plus it won't be on CBS.

On paper I agree with you. But I have a similar feeling to corgimatt. Perhaps it is just because of the history of the series, and because SC has found countless ways to lose close games in this series over the years, even when they had better teams. Additionally, Clemson has a good D, and our offense had been simply HORRIBLE against good defenses. I have long felt that SC just has a mental block against Clemson, somehow they just expect to lose to them and they do. I think this is part of the mentality that Spurrier has been trying to change. We'll find out I guess.

Clemson does have a good defense, but I don't think theirs is better than Carolina's.

Spurrier is changing the mentality as we speak. If we beat Clemson and win our bowl then we'll have a 9-4 season, which is above average for us. Don't let what happened at Florida blind you from the rest of the season. Thats the main problem that Carolina fans have... we tend to let big losses get us back into that 0-11 mentality as though we will never recover. Its a matter of perspective. We have a winning season in the SEC which is difficult enough. With the exception of Vanderbilt we have won every game that we were expected to win. Georgia, LSU, and Florida are among the SEC elite this year, all of them were highly ranked when we played them (#2, #13, and #3 respectively), and nobody except Carolina fans expected us to win those. We played three teams that will play for a chance at the SEC Championship. Just be glad we didn't play Bama too! They are all great teams, and we are not in the SEC elite this year, so the losses to those teams are nothing major IMO, other than for PR and fodder for obnoxious Gator fans.

Clemson has a whole different set of problems, so they really don't have much room to talk- and to their credit I haven't heard much out of them (though I'm sure a trip to a Clemson sports messgeboard would prove me wrong there). Obviously the mid season coaching staff change has had some impact on the team, but they haven't won any games against ranked opponents either, and they have lost games that they shouldn't have. In general they have underperformed in a major way, and its not due to a lack of talent.

Right now my main hope is that I will be able to watch the Palmetto Bowl on something other than PPV. Any ESPN channel or SportsSouth or whatever.

Cullen Harper has hit his stride, Aaron Kelly just broke the ACC record for pass receptions (and he is a BIG threat deep), they have finally turned C.J. Spiller loose, and Clemson's defense is good, and they're Clemson and we're USC.. I am not feeling good about it at all.

The only consideration I would give is - USC is up & Clemson is down, usually the team that has the most to prove finds a way to win in this rivalry. Besides, that is how rivalries are, they have more to do with guts & desire than stats.

Otherwise, USC should win - but I wouldn't bet on it.

Otherwise, spartan you neglected to mention that USC's loss to Vanderbilt is very respectable - Vanderbilt was in a 5 game win streak & if they scored just 4 extra touchdowns in their losses, they would be 9-1 now.

Another off topic thought - how would Clemson react following their opening loss to Alabama if they knew they lost to a team that would be #1 rather than a team that 'upset' them? Besides the absence of an offensive line, I wonder if the loss was more of a psycological blow for the remainder of the season than really being outmatched to the handful of mediocre teams they lost to.

So do you also subscribe to the logic that because Clemson beat Duke, Duke beat Vandy, and Vandy beat Carolina, Clemson will beat Carolina? Their only win under Dabo Swinney has been over Duke.

Don't forget Dabo's WIN over Boston College on the road. The first win against BC in over 50 years.

The only consideration I would give is - USC is up & Clemson is down, usually the team that has the most to prove finds a way to win in this rivalry. Besides, that is how rivalries are, they have more to do with guts & desire than stats.

Otherwise, USC should win - but I wouldn't bet on it.

Otherwise, spartan you neglected to mention that USC's loss to Vanderbilt is very respectable - Vanderbilt was in a 5 game win streak & if they scored just 4 extra touchdowns in their losses, they would be 9-1 now.

Another off topic thought - how would Clemson react following their opening loss to Alabama if they knew they lost to a team that would be #1 rather than a team that 'upset' them? Besides the absence of an offensive line, I wonder if the loss was more of a psycological blow for the remainder of the season than really being outmatched to the handful of mediocre teams they lost to.

Thats an interesting take. I think its fair to say that stats and season performance are not always a good indicator of how this game will turn out. For example, Clemson has beaten Carolina when we were ranked and they were not and the opposite is also true.

I just have no confidence that USC will beat Clemson. None whatsoever. It's the South Carolina (as in the state of South Carolina way) way. From its inception Clemson was an upstart whose mission was to prove it could out-do the University of South Carolina. No matter how much USC improves athletically or academically, Clemson is always waiting in the wings ready to one-up the flagship institution.

Cullen Harper has hit his stride, Aaron Kelly just broke the ACC record for pass receptions (and he is a BIG threat deep), they have finally turned C.J. Spiller loose, and Clemson's defense is good, and they're Clemson and we're USC.. I am not feeling good about it at all.

You are more right than we would like to admit I think. And it is just so hard to have much confidence until we actually start beating them more than once every 4-5 years. I think in my lifetime, we have only beat Clemson like 7 times; 84, 87, 92, 94, 96, 01, and 06 (not sure about early 80s cause I was too young). That is not a good track record. This is what makes it so easy for the Clemson fans to laugh, because it has been total domination. Still, I hope the mentality is changing, and that we can start to hold our own in the series. And Spartan I would be very happy with a 9-4 season.

You are more right than we would like to admit I think. And it is just so hard to have much confidence until we actually start beating them more than once every 4-5 years. I think in my lifetime, we have only beat Clemson like 7 times; 84, 87, 92, 94, 96, 01, and 06 (not sure about early 80s cause I was too young). That is not a good track record. This is what makes it so easy for the Clemson fans to laugh, because it has been total domination. Still, I hope the mentality is changing, and that we can start to hold our own in the series. And Spartan I would be very happy with a 9-4 season.

Clemson won four in a row 1980 - 1983.

Here's the Head to head:

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/record...=South+Carolina

Oh, great... another noon game at Death Valley to finish a terrible home schedule for 2008. Oh well, it will be no less loud for the chickens when they roll into town. GO TIGERS!

In other news, the Clemson men's basketball team moved on to 5-0 last night with a close win over UNC-Charlotte. :)

Archived