Riverfront Property Proposal(s)?

tony speller

The designs of the other projects that firm has done. Some really nice looking buildings.

That firm is a for-hire construction management company. They were hired to manage the construction process for the owner/developer of each of those projects. Unfortunately, their experience really doesn't contribute in any way to Faust's credibility (except to the extent that he's smart enough to add a big name to his team). I'd be much more impressed regarding the Grand Rapids project if they were the developer.

The most impressive letter was from the lender (although the 3-year term is a little confusing).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched the online video on wzzm13.com about Mr. Faust and his team and it angers me to see how the city belittles this man. Here is a man that wants to develop a large portion of downtown and appears to be putting an excellent team together to complete it and all the city can say is he doesn't have experience. I understand that this is a huge project and they don't want it to flop but come on, give a guy a chance. It looks like he's assembling the right people for the job. So give the guy a break already. They should be happy someoone wants to invest that much money downtown.

I agree. I think this is another example of the theory suggested on here before that if one of the big names in town are not involved in a project, it will be an uphill battle. Why don't they cut Devos, Secchia, VanAndel, Meijer or Frey in for a chunk and let this thing take off.

What happened to my bold text button?

I too watched the clip with Shannon. After listening to her for a few minutes, I was expecting Ben Rudolph from GVSU to appear in the backround condeming all of us for even thinking about success in horrible GR. How dare we have vision and dreams :angry:

I agree that it was smart of him to add Hill to the mix, even though they are just doing Program Mgmt.

I thought the most interesting letter was from Joel Katz, the Chairman of Greenberg Traurig's Entertainment Group.

The financing letter from the Tommy Chung guy I thought had already been discussed by WOODTV8 before, but this does add a little more detail. I think the 3 years is just to get the property cleaned up, rezoned, buildings demolished, utilities, etc., and then Faust was going to refinance and go on to the next phase where another financing arm would come in, or the properties sold to other companies. At least, that's what the draft alluded to back in February I believe.

And why give Secchia or Devos a cut of the action? Do they have to infiltrate everything? I think he should cut Moch into the deal. He seems to be getting things done.

The financing letter from the Tommy Chung guy I thought had already been discussed by WOODTV8 before, but this does add a little more detail. I think the 3 years is just to get the property cleaned up, rezoned, buildings demolished, utilities, etc.,

A condition of the financing is that the design is complete and the rezoning apoproved by the city (among others). It doesn't appear that Faust gets any of the money until the conditions are met. That's why the 3 years confused me. This project will take many more than three years to implement.

Interesting that the rezoning condition is specifically met with an approval by the planning commission. The planning commission has no power to rezone property. They only recommend approval or denial to the city commission. Only the city commission can rezone property.

A condition of the financing is that the design is complete and the rezoning apoproved by the city (among others). It doesn't appear that Faust gets any of the money until the conditions are met. That's why the 3 years confused me. This project will take many more than three years to implement.

Interesting that the rezoning condition is specifically met with an approval by the planning commission. The planning commission has no power to rezone property. They only recommend approval or denial to the city commission. Only the city commission can rezone property.

Do you think it will take more than 3 years to get the property cleaned up and rezoned?

On the other one, maybe Pacific Everhart thought that the Planning Commission did the rezoning (and why don't they?). Doesn't the planning commission for almost every other municipality around here oversee rezoning?

Do you think it will take more than 3 years to get the property cleaned up and rezoned?

On the other one, maybe Pacific Everhart thought that the Planning Commission did the rezoning (and why don't they?). Doesn't the planning commission for almost every other municipality around here oversee rezoning?

Rezoning land is an an amendment to the zoning ordinance, and the City Commission is the only body with the power to change laws. As civitas said, a rezoning request goes to the Planning Commission first, and they deliberate and ultimately make a recommendation to the City Commission. The City Commission makes the final decision. Its done that way everywhere in Michigan because that is what the State Statute says.

Rezoning land is an an amendment to the zoning ordinance, and the City Commission is the only body with the power to change laws. As civitas said, a rezoning request goes to the Planning Commission first, and they deliberate and ultimately make a recommendation to the City Commission. The City Commission makes the final decision. Its done that way everywhere in Michigan because that is what the State Statute says.

Thanks Andy. May be a miscommunication on the part of Faust, or it may be just a standard form letter.

Speaking of nitpicking something to death.... :D

I just watched the online video on wzzm13.com about Mr. Faust and his team and it angers me to see how the city belittles this man. Here is a man that wants to develop a large portion of downtown and appears to be putting an excellent team together to complete it and all the city can say is he doesn't have experience. I understand that this is a huge project and they don't want it to flop but come on, give a guy a chance. It looks like he's assembling the right people for the job. So give the guy a break already. They should be happy someoone wants to invest that much money downtown.

I don't know if it is wise to use "WZZM" and "the city" interchangably.

I too watched the clip with Shannon. After listening to her for a few minutes, I was expecting Ben Rudolph from GVSU to appear in the backround condeming all of us for even thinking about success in horrible GR. How dare we have vision and dreams :angry:

DI-progress0305.jpg

GRobserver, Your point is well taken. :) Nonetheless, Blueman's point deserves some analytical consideration. Duane Faust the developer is African-American. Because of his ethnicity, it appears many in the City rushed to judgment on his ability to pull off such a deal. I trust that his latest disclosure will give pause to such distrustful thinking. As to experience, LADIES and GENTLEMEN we are in the year 2006.Quality team assemblage is far more important than the assembler

GRobserver, Your point is well taken. :) Nonetheless, Blueman's point deserves some analytical consideration. Duane Faust the developer is African-American. Because of his ethnicity, it appears many in the City rushed to judgment on his ability to pull off such a deal. I trust that his latest disclosure will give pause to such distrustful thinking. As to experience, LADIES and GENTLEMEN we are in the year 2006.Quality team assemblage is far more important than the assembler

I never heard anyone mention race. I think he doubts that the city (in general) had were more to do with the ambitous nature of the project and then not following through on some of those deals with London, etc. I think we got all excited that some big name was coming in with a ton of money and when we found out it was a rookie we had never heard of, many thought that it was too good to be true. I doubt (and hope) it had nothing to do with race and more to do with making sure this was more reality with money behind it instead of fluff. For a while there, it felt really "fluffy". It's good to see some hard facts coming out. I hope he can pull it off well no matter who he is.

I guess now a real question should be posed to the members of The Task Force. I would think that a task force member charged to find out a projects viability would atleast scribble a note in their day planner. Aparently, for whatever reason half of the members didn't show up. Whether half thoes members recently lost a loved one or were not scheduled to appear at the meeting is a good question. Why the City would set up a task force with members with conflicting schedules is beyond me, especially when it's a "prime" "once in a life time" property. Is this a valid concern?

I never heard anyone mention race. I think he doubts that the city (in general) had were more to do with the ambitous nature of the project and then not following through on some of those deals with London, etc. I think we got all excited that some big name was coming in with a ton of money and when we found out it was a rookie we had never heard of, many thought that it was too good to be true. I doubt (and hope) it had nothing to do with race and more to do with making sure this was more reality with money behind it instead of fluff. For a while there, it felt really "fluffy". It's good to see some hard facts coming out. I hope he can pull it off well no matter who he is.

I agree. I don't believe that anyone is tripping over the man's race. Mr. Faust has simply proposed something bigger than he has ever been involved in before. The concerns are fair.

I also hope that he can pull it off.

I agree. I don't believe that anyone is tripping over the man's race. Mr. Faust has simply proposed something bigger than he has ever been involved in before. The concerns are fair.

I also hope that he can pull it off.

------------------------End of Racial Debate-----------------------------

That's actually what I wanted to put at the end of my comments! It's dumb to debate that...Thanks twoshort!

It's never dumb to debate that, it is all pervasive in this country, to

pretend otherwise is just that, pretending. Most racisim isn't overt,

anymore, because that has become unacceptable and politically

incorrect. But it's there. You can put 'end of debate' at the end of

all the posts you want, but that doesn't end racism, and should

never end the awareness that it exists. To decide on this board

that it isn't factoring into peoples opinions of Mr. Faust is naive.

It's never dumb to debate that, it is all pervasive in this country, to

pretend otherwise is just that, pretending. Most racisim isn't overt,

anymore, because that has become unacceptable and politically

incorrect. But it's there. You can put 'end of debate' at the end of

all the posts you want, but that doesn't end racism, and should

never end the awareness that it exists. To decide on this board

that it isn't factoring into peoples opinions of Mr. Faust is naive.

Well said mejane.

In addition to the above comments about the "assembler", one important trait that is required to do a large project is VISION. If you have a strong and exciting enough vision, it's amazing how many people will jump on board and help you realize that vision. Everyone wants to be part of something big and exciting, and if you get enough strong support involved, you can move mountains.

I still don't get the WZZM/"the city" thing.

I'm starting to see a few usernames who only seem to come out when the riverfront project is the talk of the town. Anything else to add to this site, or are you guys just One Trick Ponies?

To decide on this board that it isn't factoring into peoples opinions of Mr. Faust is naive.

It might be factoring into people's opinions. I say might, because saying it is makes such a statement just as prejudice as any racist comment.

The fact is Faust is getting prejudiced on more than just his skin tone.

1) He's being prejudiced against for his perceived lack of money.

2) He's being prejudiced against because his "vision" is bold and unrestrained compared to others of more conservative natures.

3) He's being prejudiced against because his name is Faust from California, and not Meijer, DeVos, or VanAndel from Grand Rapids.

4) He's being prejudiced against for being an unknown name

5) And he might be being prejudiced against because he is black.

Fact: Faust is not in Grand Rapids' "inner circle" so he's going to have to fight prejudice over a much broader range than just his skin tone, and he'd have the same thing in any other city, state, or nation in the world today.

Archived