Riverfront Property Proposal(s)?

tony speller

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for clarifying.

My intent wasn't to be overly critical; I appreciate you responding in such a reasonable manner.

No trouble, from your perspective I'd say all the same things.

The main point is that I'm not (yet) involved in the selection process only the "process" process.

To be honest, from what I know to date I like Duane's project the best with or without any of the stuff I{m involved in.

If this evolves into me being part of any DECISION process I will clearly need to chat w/ the mayor / manager / RFP committee for their insight on any of my future involvement.

I've seen Urban Planet compared to a lot of things, but a friendly game of basketball is a bit of a reach.

That wasn't the intent. The analogy is that we all say/do things we don't necessarily mean in pressure situations. Eric made it pretty clear he was posting things before clearly thinking them over during that time period. In time, posts were editted, which I took to mean he thought better of what he said and retracted them.

My point was more just because he said some things then, doesn't mean he has an axe to grind with Faust now. I agree that the concern should be raised, but the tone I read was a little too absolute for my taste.

The analogy is that we all say/do things we don't necessarily mean in pressure situations.

Nope, I meant everything I said.

The only post I edited was one wherein I was concerned that a comment COULD reflect negatively on a professional involved in the transaction who's respect from me is great. Didn't want to chance that, hence I erased part of the post.

Why you would keep track of something like this is indeed interesting ! You are thorough!

Can I go back to work now ?

:-)

Only if work includes sticking pins into your Duane Faust voodoo doll.

NO pins, just hopes that the big-capacity guys I was lured in by initially are hiding in his pocket.

I'm concerned that the selection committee may not give Duane consideration unless they know who the players are, and I think Duane's group is remaining quiet. I guess they told the City Atty. "some" of the scoop... but still... this is a hard one to dance around for a selection committee unless they can be convinced the capacity is there.

:blink: that was getting hot for a second, i thought I was going to see some virtual blows

The bad news is that we got off topic. The involvement of one person on a multiple person volunteer committee with no decision making power should not have ability to hi-jack a thread like this.

But it's over.

"we return to regularly scheduled programming ..."

It has become apparent since yesterdays discussion on this forum that the next meeting will indeed involve discussion about the credentials and background of the three applications-- one of which I clearly have some history with.

Based on that, I contacted various City offiials and their counsel to take their temperature on whether or not it's appropriate for me to remain on the RFP committee. To avoid the appearance of anything remotely "funny" about this, I have remvoed myself from further discussion-- it's just easier that way !

I am not currently in discussion with any of them about my projects, but who knows... if Duane's backers come forward and came back to the table it would be awkward for me to have been on the selection committee for sure.

Plus, I really want to golf tomorrow and the meeting is at noon !

It has become apparent since yesterdays discussion on this forum that the next meeting will indeed involve discussion about the credentials and background of the three applications-- one of which I clearly have some history with.

Based on that, I contacted various City offiials and their counsel to take their temperature on whether or not it's appropriate for me to remain on the RFP committee. To avoid the appearance of anything remotely "funny" about this, I have remvoed myself from further discussion-- it's just easier that way !

I am not currently in discussion with any of them about my projects, but who knows... if Duane's backers come forward and came back to the table it would be awkward for me to have been on the selection committee for sure.

Plus, I really want to golf tomorrow and the meeting is at noon !

Nice to see such high ethical standards still exist, when all you here in the news is the negatives. :thumbsup:

FORE!

...I've always wanted to yell that. But I don't golf.. i just minigolf.

:lol: You never know, you just might get the chance to yell FORE in mini golf someday :P

back when I was a kid there was a minigolf course that had an uphill ramp you had to navigate. Most people would try to aim for the hole that was in the middle of it, but some adventerous soulds would try to take the ball over the ramp...

A few I know got some good hangtimes on that ramp :blush:

Faust's plans would generate 10 million to 20 million square feet of office space, enough to fill Bridgewater Place -- the city's largest office building -- 40 or 50 times.

Is Devries saying this would happen on top of Faust's plan? or is he saying thats an unlikely part of his plan?

cause heck I can live with 10-20 million sq ft of new office space being built on top of this in DT :yahoo:

Is Devries saying this would happen on top of Faust's plan? or is he saying thats an unlikely part of his plan?

cause heck I can live with 10-20 million sq ft of new office space being built on top of this in DT :yahoo:

I think he's saying "Since 10 - 20 Million square feet = 40 to 50 Bridgewater Places, is there really a market for 40 - 50 Bridgewater Places in Grand Rapids?" Heck, anywhere? Although, I think his math might be off. I think Bridgewater is about 500,000 square feet, so 10 Million would be 20 BP's, and 20 Million would be 40 BP's. :blush:

Well of course its going to be "lame" and "underwhelming" with lots of words in the letters I'd say the same. If you have to back this stuff up with a market study, expect lame and underwhelming... We wouldn't even have the Market property up for sale if Faust wasn't here. Where did the millions of square feet come from? Does the Task Froce get to see the privy info?

Archived