COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBC 10 has a rough redering on their website

http://www.turnto10.com/news/9433216/detail.html

It doesnt look terribly exciting, pretty much a big glass rectangle (we already have a glass box building...g-tech) hopefully better renderings will come with more detail and maybe a better design. Something other than a flat roof would be nice.

The Channel 10 story says they are replacing the Fogarty Building with a hotel, which last I heard is not happening.

Perhaps the reporters at Channel 10 should read UrbanPlanet for information. :lol:

call me ignorant (or maybe confused) but is this the same thing as the rumor building?

You are ignorant and confused. :lol:

Yes, this is "The Rumor."

I edited the title again to calm the ignorance and confusion.

I wouldn't mind a decent tall glass box. We don't really have anything like that in the city now so it'd at least be a change.

i think that a tall glass building there would look decent... it'd balance off gtech and oneten. it's also closer to the highway so it'd be a great building to have as you enter the downtown area.

You are ignorant and confused. :lol:

Yes, this is "The Rumor."

I edited the title again to calm the ignorance and confusion.

OHHHHH.

i'm stupid. this is the same discussion with a new title. i'm pretty quick today... :blush:

I wouldn't mind a decent tall glass box. We don't really have anything like that in the city now so it'd at least be a change.

I don't necessarily mind a glass box in theory but there is really nothing to reflect there which is a lot of what gives glass boxes their charm.

Live Local

Regency is about 14 stories, right? so this will be significantly taller than those, and who wants to see those buildings reflected anyway? :wacko: On the other side of Lasalle Square is the crappy existing BCBS building. I guess a lot will depend on the site plan for the rest of the Power Block. Also there will be a street level glass box on the other side of Lasalle Square.

I'm not sure what I would put here, though, honestly. Something like Goodwin Square in Hartford might be a good fit, I think. But, it's hard to tell.

I agree. The render is pretty brutal, though, and would look terrible. I'm sure they'll probably improve on that in the future. Hopefully more of the "Power Block" pans out along with the Atwells Rumor and the Metrolofts. Providence would all of a sudden be a whole different city with two clusters of buildings, hopefully with someone coming along in the coming years to fill in all those parking lots in the W street areas...

I'm not sure what I would put here, though, honestly. Something like Goodwin Square in Hartford might be a good fit, I think. But, it's hard to tell.

NOOOOO! I hate that building. I'd much rather see this buliding, even if it's significantly scaled down to the same height as Goodwin Square.

I agree. The render is pretty brutal, though, and would look terrible. I'm sure they'll probably improve on that in the future. Hopefully more of the "Power Block" pans out along with the Atwells Rumor and the Metrolofts. Providence would all of a sudden be a whole different city with two clusters of buildings, hopefully with someone coming along in the coming years to fill in all those parking lots in the W street areas...

NOOOOO! I hate that building. I'd much rather see this buliding, even if it's significantly scaled down to the same height as Goodwin Square.

i don't find either of those buildings particularly attractive.

From what I understand, TPG is heavily marketing the Power Block nationally to try to lure office development to the city.

TPG should buy the Regency, build parking in the central courtyard, and free up that parking lot along Broadway. That is going to be a serious hole no matter what they do building up the gas station lot and Hilton.

As for Goodwin Square, I think it looks fine in it's surroundings and is a decent mix of classical lines and modern construction. Just the first thing I pulled up. But it really seems that around here people want every building to be a stand on it's own architechtural masterpiece, which really isn't that realistic - given that developers are in business to make money. Also, I just don't think a glass tower sitting all by itself fits the tapestry of Providence.

FTR, I am one of the few that has liked GTech from the start, so this isn't a glass vs. other style kind of thing.

Here are some buildings form down here in Atlanta that'd look good up there...

Keep in mind most fo these would shrink a little but i think the architechure fits good.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=217455

(this one would be really good IMHO)

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=183231

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=102231

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=135522

Then... i just found this one which seems to loook somewhat like the NBC 10 rendering...

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=121143

Here are some buildings form down here in Atlanta that'd look good up there...

Keep in mind most fo these would shrink a little but i think the architechure fits good.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=217455

(this one would be really good IMHO)

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=183231

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=102231

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=135522

Then... i just found this one which seems to loook somewhat like the NBC 10 rendering...

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=121143

the first 3 would be good, with the second one being hte one i like the most.

I'm sure that render is far from the last word...

That building wouldn't look quite all alone there, with RP nearby, what will likely be the Sierra Suites at about 14 floors a few blocks away, hopefully a Grant's Block of some height, and perhaps a moderate tower add on to the Hilton. A tower at the Fogarty Building site, though, even a moderate one, would really fill that area out.

- Garris

PS: Just for perspective, I just want to remind everyone how amazing and historic a period this is in Providence's history, and we're all living through it. Think about what'll be around by 2010 or so:

- G-Tech

- Waterplace condos

- Westin II

- Masonic Temple Hotel with VMA upgrade

- Sierra Suites

- Empire

- Hilton redo

- Women and Infant's expansion

- Miriam's new building

- 333 Atwells

With the following also possible:

- Dynamo House

- ALCO

- Grant's Block

- Probably something to replace the Downcity Diner building

- Hilton Tower

- Metrolofts

- Atwell Parcel

Not since, what, the late 1880's to early 1900's has the face of Providence been so changed so fast, correct?

And we haven't even started talking about the 195 land...

What's on my wish list for 2020? A new, truly intermodal, expanded Providence Station to incorporate the buses, freeing up Kennedy Plaza to become a park...

Not since, what, the late 1880's to early 1900's has the face of Providence been so changed so fast, correct?

Well mid-century a lot was torn down at a fast clip to make way for Route 95 and the current Cathedral and LaSalle Squares. But you're pobably right in that we haven't seen such a building boom in over a hundred years.

It's looks pretty bland and boxy. Let's hope that more detailed renders come out soon. I can't wait to hear Brussat chime in about this one. :lol:

Brussat's major complaint seems to be against modernism's interaction with traditionally-styled buildings. I don't see that being a problem with this project, surrounded as it is by rather bland, modernist designs. The only real traditional building in the area is the library, which faces away from this site. I doubt he'll like this, but I don't see him ranting against it with all the venom he reserves for Gtech.

As for the design itself, I need to see much more detail to decide for sure whether I like it. The tower is very wide, and therefore doesn't look nearly as tall as it is. I think I'd prefer a slightly narrower, taller tower.

can someone rightsize me as to what direction that channel 10 rendering is looking from or to - I can't cecognize anything around that building at all....

You're looking down broadway into the city. the Hilton is to the left of the tower, the library is to the right, and LaSalle Square is behind it.

You're looking down broadway into the city. the Hilton is to the left of the tower, the library is to the right, and LaSalle Square is behind it.

OK, yes, I see it now - the Hilton blended into the Dunk and couldn't find the current BCBS building - THANKS!!

: :D

and lastly - at 22 stories, what's the approximate height - 250ish?? What other PVD buildings are close to 22 stories - the Biltmore???

...at 22 stories, what's the approximate height - 250ish?? What other PVD buildings are close to 22 stories - the Biltmore???

Yup, I was thinking around the Biltmore in height...

For what it's worth, I still think a supermarket would fly there. I think the average supermarket is about 20,000 square feet...

- Garris

PS: BTW, this building behind the library would make for some interesting photographic contrasts, like what Grand Central is to the former Pan Am Building (I don't know what it is not, Met Life?) in NYC...

Yup, I was thinking around the Biltmore in height...

For what it's worth, I still think a supermarket would fly there. I think the average supermarket is about 20,000 square feet...

- Garris

PS: BTW, this building behind the library would make for some interesting photographic contrasts, like what Grand Central is to the former Pan Am Building (I don't know what it is not, Met Life?) in NYC...

probably taller than the biltmore... 22 stories is 4 stories taller than the biltmore's 18, easily adding about 40 feet.

and yes... that's the met life building now...

probably taller than the biltmore... 22 stories is 4 stories taller than the biltmore's 18, easily adding about 40 feet.

Office buildings generally have taller floors than residential or hotel. Although in the Biltmore's case, it may have higher floors due to its age.

Archived