COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

Brussat's major complaint seems to be against modernism's interaction with traditionally-styled buildings. I don't see that being a problem with this project, surrounded as it is by rather bland, modernist designs.

This is well within Brussat's 'Modernist Sandbox' so he'll have trouble getting too upset about it.

The only real traditional building in the area is the library, which faces away from this site. I doubt he'll like this, but I don't see him ranting against it with all the venom he reserves for Gtech.

As for the design itself, I need to see much more detail to decide for sure whether I like it. The tower is very wide, and therefore doesn't look nearly as tall as it is. I think I'd prefer a slightly narrower, taller tower.

Modernist Sandbox or not though, I'd really like to see a deco base on this. The tower could be glass (actually I'd really like to see a glass tower growing out of a deco base) but I'd really like to see something really interesting with lots of detail at the base. Deco would pay homage to the Public Safety Building and compliment the library. It would unify that side of the square.

I agree about needing to see more detail and the width of the tower. I'd love to see it narower and taller ( :) ). Of course the tenant may want to have large footprints.

Of all the buildings people have posted that they like, I prefer the sketch of the actual proposal.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think that rendering was official.... isn't it by some artist who works for projo or nbc?

No, that's TPGs rendering as far as I know. I just saw it on Channel 10, they had an animation of it.

Providence needs a modern glass tower, but something more akin to the Cira Centre in Philly would be much better.

I was in Philly last week and was amazed at the impact of this relatively short building (475 feet)- at least compared to the rest of the skyline. Check out this pic, right before a torrential downpour.

http://www.pbase.com/boybart/image/62126427

Some other pics.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=149009

Imagine a glass prizm jutting into the sky from a sea of brick and stone buildings in Providence...

Providence needs a modern glass tower, but something more akin to the Cira Centre in Philly would be much better.

I was in Philly last week and was amazed at the impact of this relatively short building (475 feet)- at least compared to the rest of the skyline. Check out this pic, right before a torrential downpour.

Some other pics.

Imagine a glass prizm jutting into the sky from a sea of brick and stone buildings in Providence...

that building is so bizarre. i go to philly on a regular basis and saw it under construction. apparently they decided the night time lighting scheme was every window. it is neat, but it just sticks up out of nowhere... no other tall buildings around it.

Personally, I find this building just plain offensive in it's unoriginality. Oooh, a glass rectangle. Every other city has one of those, lame. This is Providence, not Dallas, Houston, Stamford, blah, etc., etc.. Am I alone on this?

I thought something along those same lines, but like others have said ... it's only the first rendering.

I was just thinking -- somewhat despondently -- about this project today. And I come to find ... glorious news!

The render is a bit disappointing, though, I agree. <_<

I too would love to see this building incorporate the existing building on the site, if possible. And for reference, Emporis lists the Textron building at 23 stories, 311 feet. So one story taller than Empire, but the parking in Empire might make it somewhat taller than Textron.

Some other pics.

Wow, I love that. I'm all up for stealing Goodwin Square and relocating it to Providence, though, as I've told the Hartford forumers many times. :rofl:

You might like what London has proposed. I think this design will come out looking at least tolerable when everything's said and done. It's only 300 feet, so If Providence could attract a large corporate headquarters to the city and have it built on the west side of downtown, that'd take the focus away from the bland building(s?) a little bit. Kinda like 110W and 50 Kennedy Plaza.

i'm sure once everyone gets their hands on it the render will improve. In related news, i was almost made into a coleslaw pancake on Fountain Street in the crosswalk by Lily Pad today. A car stopped for me (when it had the green--clearly not someone from around here if they actually stop at crosswalks) and i waved it through, saying i'd wait for the cross signal and then was brushed back by a small van running the red light after i had ventured into the crosswalk. I sure hope this project and the fogarty building project and the continued westin project do something about the dangerousness of being a pedestrian--i mean, how many times have I almost hit someone crossing in that blind corner (when the crosswalk is only 10 ft away in either direction) when you do the left hand hairpin turn from Fountain onto Sabin. They should put a cop there and start ticketing pedestrians there.

ok. rant over.

oh and i like glass towers, but not when they reflect parking lots where there used to be a little gas station....

I too would love to see this building incorporate the existing building on the site, if possible. And for reference, Emporis lists the Textron building at 23 stories, 311 feet. So one story taller than Empire, but the parking in Empire might make it somewhat taller than Textron.

This is listed at 340 feet in the Building Heights thread.... significantly taller than either Textron or Westin I. Is that an official number, Cotuit, or an estimate?

I also had the thought that it would be cool to incorporate the existing building. I could see something like New York'sHearst Tower being built there, using the garage doors as storefronts, of course.

This is listed at 340 feet in the Building Heights thread.... significantly taller than either Textron or Westin I. Is that an official number, Cotuit, or an estimate?

I also had the thought that it would be cool to incorporate the existing building. I could see something like New York'sHearst Tower being built there, using the garage doors as storefronts, of course.

that's quite the interesting looking building... it's got the old style architecture on the bottom with the glass and steel on top. kind of odd looking, but might work in a city like providence where we have a lot of that older architecture.

Its information that has been passed on to me.

that building is so bizarre. i go to philly on a regular basis and saw it under construction. apparently they decided the night time lighting scheme was every window. it is neat, but it just sticks up out of nowhere... no other tall buildings around it.

I see why you'd say bizarre as the first time I saw it I thought it was so modern and different yet simple that it almost looked otherworldly. But I would say that being on its own is what makes it so impactful, similar to how the John Hancock in Boston stood out alone for so long in Boston.

I will also say that I was hosting visitors from Ireland at the time of my visit and after visiting Providence, NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC, the Cira Centre was the skyscraper they were most impressed by.

Wow, Mike. Great work!

I'm still going to wait for more detailed renders... It's very square, though!

As an aside, look at the building TPG has attached to the Hilton in that render!! Also, the lack of anything at the Gulf Station site really hurts this area. I now see what TPG was probably originally thinking about with towers at all three sites...

- Garris

Personally, I find this building just plain offensive in it's unoriginality. Oooh, a glass rectangle. Every other city has one of those, lame. This is Providence, not Dallas, Houston, Stamford, blah, etc., etc.. Am I alone on this?

You're not alone. Although that 1st render is indeed rough to say the least. Let's hope they come up with something better.

Archived