COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats not necessarily a bad thing...

I think it's the best thing, actually, given all the other residential construction going on around it.

I'll be very interested to hear what they'll be doing retail-wise, as I still think this is the best place for a supermarket (at the intersection of downtown, Federal Hill, West End, Weybosset Hill, and the CC/Hotel district).

- Garris

I'll be very interested to hear what they'll be doing retail-wise, as I still think this is the best place for a supermarket (at the intersection of downtown, Federal Hill, West End, Weybosset Hill, and the CC/Hotel district).

There will be a municipal parking garage.

There will be a municipal parking garage.

Hum... So no retail at all?? If so, that's disappointing... I was hoping that block would develop a bit in that way, given the Hilton Glass Box restaurant and Starbucks and the incremental improvements along Empire St...

I wonder why they wouldn't do a Boston Symphony Hall style market on a first floor with municipal parking above model... And I thought Grants Block was supposed to have the downtown municipal parking?

Confused... :blink:

Hum... So no retail at all?? If so, that's disappointing... I was hoping that block would develop a bit in that way, given the Hilton Glass Box restaurant and Starbucks and the incremental improvements along Empire St...

No no, I was pointing out that there would be a municipal parking garage adding to the lure of retail at this location. As far as I know, there will indeed be ground floor retail fronting the square. Also, from what I understand Broadway will go on a diet at this location and be narrowed.

Also, from what I understand Broadway will go on a diet at this location and be narrowed.

Curious as to which exact part of Broadway. To me, it seems pretty narrow already right there. Is this where, Atwells and Broadway meet by the light?

As it is, its already a bit of a traffic clusterbomb. Add retail and parking and you make that worse. Reconfiguring certainly, but narrowing?

Making this area more walkable is certainly needed, I have to say the Shema everytime I try to walk down that way, but more cars will be there for sure.

Edit: Realized I put "for sure" twice. I am not a Valley Girl so I had to remove.

Curious as to which exact part of Broadway. To me, it seems pretty narrow already right there. Is this where, Atwells and Broadway meet by the light?

As it is, its already a bit of a traffic clusterbomb. Add retail and parking and you make that worse. Reconfiguring certainly, but narrowing?

Making this area more walkable is certainly needed, I have to say the Shema everytime I try to walk down that way, but more cars will be there for sure.

Edit: Realized I put "for sure" twice. I am not a Valley Girl so I had to remove.

totally... like wow. :P

seriously, that is a nasty traffic area... i also think the intersection of empire and weybosett needs to be re-worked.

The section between the highway and LaSalle Square. I doubt it will lose any lanes, but its footprint should be reduced. It will stop having an expressway appearance and become a true city street. I don't know where the garage entrance will go, but we'll likely see some re-working of the Broadway/Atwells/Greene intersection.

i also think the intersection of empire and weybosett needs to be re-worked.

Empire at Weybosset will be redesigned when both streets become two-way. I think sometime next year.

i don't think the current intersection is great for walkability.

The current intersection is terrible for walkability. There is never a time when there is not a traffic movement that has a green light. There is literally, no time when a pedestrian can safely cross. That used to be my commute, you pretty much have to leap in front of traffic and hope someone will stop.

22-story tower proposed for old Providence police building [ProJo.com 7to7 News Blog]

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/newsbl...wer_p.html#more

"The project – which is called The Empire at Broadway -- would include a 522-space parking garage and 25,000 square feet of “pedestrian-friendly’’ retail space, according to Tom Niles, executive vice president of development for Procaccianti."

I could delete your post and say I posted first! :shades:

Forget what I said about the tenant, seems not to have been announced yet. :whistling: Technically, I didn't confirm the tenant, just said it was guessed right, there's lots of guesses in here. :)

I find it quite fun that we have a 15 page thread on a project that was just announced. :lol:

well the intersection is easily described as confusing to those who don't naviagte it regularly. Putting it on a diet would be cleaning up the roadway so to speak and making clearer lanes of travel, etc.

Can't wait for more details!

i navigate it daily, either by car or foot. Its an annoying, flow breaking intersection. Cant wait to hear details either!

The section between the highway and LaSalle Square. I doubt it will lose any lanes, but its footprint should be reduced. It will stop having an expressway appearance and become a true city street. I don't know where the garage entrance will go, but we'll likely see some re-working of the Broadway/Atwells/Greene intersection.

Empire at Weybosset will be redesigned when both streets become two-way. I think sometime next year.

Cool, it does have an expressway appearance. The other thing there I hope is fixed is the light timing. Probably one of the worst in Providence. Starts at the light at the intersection of Broadway and the west service road, and continues all the way down to LaSalle Sq.

The current intersection is terrible for walkability. There is never a time when there is not a traffic movement that has a green light. There is literally, no time when a pedestrian can safely cross. That used to be my commute, you pretty much have to leap in front of traffic and hope someone will stop.

My gripe isn't the intersection, it's crossing the streets. It's sooo easy to just cross a street going by traffic/light patterns when it's a one way. Sure, I jaywalked, but I wasn't getting in the way of cars like people always complain about. As someone who crossed Westminster, Weybosset, and Matthewson St daily usually via jaywalking I would have to say that while one ways might make it confusing for drivers it makes the city very walkable for pedestrians.

Back on topic: FINALLY, this announcement couldn't have come soon enough!!! :thumbsup:

I could delete your post and say I posted first!

Forget what I said about the tenant, seems not to have been announced yet. :whistling: Technically, I didn't confirm the tenant, just said it was guessed right, there's lots of guesses in here. :)

I find it quite fun that we have a 15 page thread on a project that was just announced.

I was just happy that I was actually "first" on something for once! :D

It is really amusing that we have 15 pages of speculation (most of which are very accurate)

Archived