COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

I'm not sure that the Public Safety Complex is that old, and I wouldn't call it significant in any respect I'm aware of.

I think the main entrance facades are nice, and it would be great it they could be kept and incorporated, but the rest of the building is quite forgettable and wouldn't be a loss at all...

In a city full of potential conservation battles, that isn't one I think should be fought...

- Garris

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the one with 711 with it was what I was talking about...

I think it's called The Old Colony Building.

where is this old public safety building? i know where the new one is... but i don't know where the old one is.

Across the street from The Dunk, the Holiday Inn and next door to the Providence Public Library

where is this old public safety building? i know where the new one is... but i don't know where the old one is.

Aren't you one of the people that loves Trinity Brewhouse? It's right across Empire St. from there and is one of the "anchors" of Lasalle square along with The Dunk and the ugly BCBS building.

Aren't you one of the people that loves Trinity Brewhouse? It's right across Empire St. from there and is one of the "anchors" of Lasalle square along with The Dunk and the ugly BCBS building.

OHHHHHHH. i've only been to the trinity at night. silly me. i know exactly where that is.

Thom, where art thou!? :huh:

I was kinda looking for Cotuit to chime in too, he started this thread! Dangling that in front of us for weeks now, making those not in the know panting with speculation. Now that the announcement date has come and gone, he is stangely silent..... Perhaps a tad :blush: at jumping the gun? :D

Seriosuly though, its been 10 days since the supposed announcement of this. I assume it is the standard last minute wheeling/dealing and drying ink going on thats preventing an announcement, but does anyone know if it is something else?

Is the transfer or sale of the development right in the public domain?

Ownership of parcels should be in the public record. If something changed hands very recently, you would probably have to go to City Hall to find out. The online records still show the old Public Safety Building as owned by the City of Providence.

Ownership of parcels should be in the public record. If something changed hands very recently, you would probably have to go to City Hall to find out. The online records still show the old Public Safety Building as owned by the City of Providence.

I don't think that gets updated very often. We've been in our house for over 2 years, and it's still listed as being owned by the previous owners.

I was walking around the city Friday morning. I hadn't realized how close this site is to the highway.

The next time you exit from 95 South at Atwells Avenue, check out how the entire site almost seems to have highway frontage. Whoever is moving in here is getting prime visibility.

So, to further the speculation on who is the prime tenant, could the delay be related to making sure the state budget passes, especially the provision that cuts taxes for high wage earners? If a company that already had a presence here but not HQ offices for their 100 or so highest paid execs, it makes some sense that they'd want that little gift to be more concrete before they signed the final lease. Do Fidelity or Amgen fit that description?

In fact, given the timing, I'm speculating that this particular tax break was may have been intended to cement this particular deal (whoever they may be).However, I'll be dead wrong if it's someone like BCBS or Citizens that already have most of their execs here.

The next time you exit from 95 South at Atwells Avenue, check out how the entire site almost seems to have highway frontage. Whoever is moving in here is getting prime visibility.

So, to further the speculation on who is the prime tenant, could the delay be related to making sure the state budget passes, especially the provision that cuts taxes for high wage earners? If a company that already had a presence here but not HQ offices for their 100 or so highest paid execs, it makes some sense that they'd want that little gift to be more concrete before they signed the final lease. Do Fidelity or Amgen fit that description?

In fact, given the timing, I'm speculating that this particular tax break was may have been intended to cement this particular deal (whoever they may be).However, I'll be dead wrong if it's someone like BCBS or Citizens that already have most of their execs here.

We were talking about high income tax breaks in my Econ class last week. The professor said one of the main reasons Fleet was moved to Boston years ago was because RI didn't have the breaks that Mass did at the time. While it sounds silly to give tax breaks to the highest paid, it does make sense in a trickle-down theory sort of way.

Well, the 'leading' candidate as the main tenant has been BCBS of RI to this point so who knows. Why would Fidelity move to Providence with thier huge investment up off 295 (unless they were fleeing Boston in a bigger way than we know - which would be awesome for us!)? Amgen is based in Thousand Oaks, CA and I see no reason for them to be moving any of thier operations into Providence, never mind the HQ...

Of course I hope I'm wrong on either count since an infusion of jobs from a company that isn't already big in RI would be a HUGE win!

Well, the 'leading' candidate as the main tenant has been BCBS of RI to this point so who knows. Why would Fidelity move to Providence with thier huge investment up off 295 (unless they were fleeing Boston in a bigger way than we know - which would be awesome for us!)? Amgen is based in Thousand Oaks, CA and I see no reason for them to be moving any of thier operations into Providence, never mind the HQ...

Of course I hope I'm wrong on either count since an infusion of jobs from a company that isn't already big in RI would be a HUGE win!

If it really is BCBS, there is going to be an awful lot of vacant space downtown.

We were talking about high income tax breaks in my Econ class last week. The professor said one of the main reasons Fleet was moved to Boston years ago was because RI didn't have the breaks that Mass did at the time. While it sounds silly to give tax breaks to the highest paid, it does make sense in a trickle-down theory sort of way.

playing devils advocate here but...

why does it sound silly to give tax breaks to the highest paid? they pay way more taxes than people of modest incomes for the same services. if you made a lot of money, wouldnt you want to keep as much of your hard earned money as possible? almost everyone says yes to this. or, furthermore, if you do want to give a bigger slice of your pie to the community, wouldnt you want to control where and what it goes for? money is a very serious thing to people and its a commodity that most do not just want to throw away, which they believe most governments in a sense can and will do.

look at major pro sports

why does adam vinatieri leave the new england patriots? he won 3 superbowls here. he is loved by the whole fan base and had a guaranteed starting job for the foreseeable future. the colts offered more money. thats it. professional athletes, like business people, go with the best deal because they realize their futures are never guaranteed. so when offered an over the top deal, they take it. benefits to the colts and new england patriots can be analyzed years from now when we are able to see if the arrangement worked out on all sides.

Archived