COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

I'm sure once the ink and the sidewalks are dry (if ever) there will be some sort of press conference on-site. Hopefully more information can be released between the ink drying and the sidewalk drying.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK thats all great, but for which rumor - you me pretty lost for a while.

Public Safety complex. I don't think the city will get too worked up about anything else coming up for a while, we have so much development it's not really newsworthy anymore. :P

You could have told me they would be building a space needle in Providence and I would have believed you...

You didn't hear about that yet? :lol:

I'm sure once the ink and the sidewalks are dry (if ever) there will be some sort of press conference on-site. Hopefully more information can be released between the ink drying and the sidewalk drying.

I was begining to wonder if a news conference was being held up because they are filming "Underdog" inside city hall.

I'm just wondering ... how many square feet of space is in the hospital trust tower so I can see how 480,000 square feet in the "rumor" compares.?

edit:

Projo from when 110 was announced

This is bigger than 110 as it was proposed initially, and it's offices! This building must have a large footprint, and if given that it's a 300+ footer it should have a significant impact on the skyline!!

The building would contain about 390,000 square feet, with the condos ranging in size from 900 square feet to 3,500-plus square feet for two-story units. Its seventh floor would be dedicated to an 11,000-square-foot, outdoor garden, a fitness center and a residents' lounge with a full kitchen

I'm just wondering ... how many square feet of space is in the hospital trust tower so I can see how 480,000 square feet in the "rumor" compares.?

Per CB Richard Ellis, One Financial Plaza (former hospital trust tower) is 408 feet tall w/ 12,925 sf on each of 28 floors for a grand total of 362,000 sf levels above grade.

Based on the height and area information given to date, I would guess the new building will be in the neighborhood of 23 stories - the ground floor having about 40,000 sf and the upper floors (including parking levels) averaging 20,000 sf.

If the parking levels follow the larger footprint of the ground level the upper floor plates may be closer to 18000.

So, the new tower may be bigger in area but shorter and slightly fatter than One Financial, but only by about 20' on each side. Maybe we'll get a nice spire on top to compensate for any feelings of inadequacy ;)

Per CB Richard Ellis, One Financial Plaza (former hospital trust tower) is 408 feet tall w/ 12,925 sf on each of 28 floors for a grand total of 362,000 sf levels above grade.

Based on the height and area information given to date, I would guess the new building will be in the neighborhood of 23 stories - the ground floor having about 40,000 sf and the upper floors (including parking levels) averaging 20,000 sf.

If the parking levels follow the larger footprint of the ground level the upper floor plates may be closer to 18000.

So, the new tower may be bigger in area but shorter and slightly fatter than One Financial, but only by about 20' on each side. Maybe we'll get a nice spire on top to compensate for any feelings of inadequacy ;)

well it's not 28 .... floor 11 is a mechanical floor, 12 and 13 were skipped... and 1 is split between a bank, starbucks, an oversized lobby, and the garage entrance. So your number is a little high if that sf per floor is accurate. BTW, there is a 29th and 30th floor, but they are also mechanical. But, it's great that this new building is bigger than 1 Financial..

woah... since when is this "rumor" building bigger than one financial plaza?

Thom announced it to be an office building with 480,000 sq ft of space. I assume this "space" to be the office space and not include the retail, but either way it's more than 1 Fianancial. It will probably have a bigger footprint and not be as tall as 1 Financial, but what really counts are the sheer number of office jobs coming to that end of downtown to compliment all those condos and hotel rooms.

This is the announcement from Thom....

The former public safety building is to be sold on Monday, June 5th to TPG. As part of the sales a development agreement will be signed that requires the developer to submit plans for approval within the next six months for a 480,000 square foot office building which will include 550+/- parking spaces and 25,000 to 50,000 square feet of ground floor retail space. Very preliminary schematic plans will be available sometime this week. The building is proposed as a glass curtail wall and is in the 300+ range. Tenant will not be announced at this time as negotiations are still ongoing. As in any development deal, plans may change, but this is it as of the last draft of the development agreement that I looked at yesterday.

why dont they make the footprint smaller?!?!

I haven't seen the rederings, but I'm sure the tower won't cover the entire footprint. There should be a structure extending to all streets, then a stepped back tower. I think 340 is plenty tall at that location.

I haven't seen the rederings, but I'm sure the tower won't cover the entire footprint. There should be a structure extending to all streets, then a stepped back tower. I think 340 is plenty tall at that location.

It's better than letting the safety complex decay.. I wonder what they're going to do with the safety complex. Its not really made for big, open glass storefronts that most retail outlets like to have, though a lot of people seem to be interested in preserving the facade...

There was no fight from preservationist???

I haven't heard any. I know Brussat isn't pleased. I think Art In Ruins is of the opinion that the building is probably too far gone (but j. can chime in on that himself if he wants), and I'm sure if PPS was upset about it, we'd be hearing about it already.

Archived