Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Great photo's everybody ! Nice shot of Camp Street in New Orleans Nate.

Thanks for sharing those TUrban. How did they ever get the name Kill Devil Hills ?

Nice shot RestedTraveler of the Mighty Mississippi.

:D I think it's something with rum, but I found this :thumbsup:

"Kill Devil Hills is the Outer Banks' oldest township, established in 1952. But the landmark that lends the town its distinctive name has been around much longer. At one time, the northern Outer Banks was characterized by a series of sand mountains over 100 feet high. These dunes stretched from sound to sea, from Corolla south to Nags Head. Kill Devil Hill was one of the larger of the dunes, and stories about how the monolith got its name are varied and colorful; the generally accepted one is that it is named for ''Kill Devil,'' a brand of rum found washed ashore during the colonial period. "

Source: http://www.killdevilhills.com/

Great photos of Kill Devil Hills!

My grandparents have a house less than 1/2 mile from the Avalon Pier. I love going down there to visit and walk on the beach. The pier is an amazing place to be during a storm. We were once out there during high surf and it was amazing how much the pier was moving beneath our feet! Frightening but quite a thrill!

Thank's Hankster! I've really been liking your Chatanooga photos as well, please keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words. I've been enjoing are your great photos of New Orleans too!

Here's my next photo of the day for Chattanooga. This is a shot looking from downtown to some building on the edge of the UT Chattanooga campus. I love the architecture!

PB190656.jpg

The actual numbers:

Texarkana,TX- 35,199

Texarkana,AR- 29,494

Thanks for the info Nate and Brian. I really thought the Texas side was quite a bit larger than that.

Nice shots guys. I really liked that bridge shot RestedTraveler. I seem to be slowly getting a bridge pic collection going as I travel around. :lol: Also like that shot Hankster. I like the look of that building in the middle.

Tommy, I love that shot of the James Monroe Building! If you just glance over it, IMO it looks much taller than 29 stories. :thumbsup:

And Hankster, even more great photos from Chatanooga! You're representing your city very well, and I'm very impressed with Chatanooga's downtown. You can definately do more there than See Rock City! ;)

Believe it or not, this is Bourbon Street. When most of you hear "Bourbon Street" you probably don't think of a peacful street filled with old homes and friendly neighbors, but once you get away from the famous clubs and bars, this is what you find. That is, until you get a bit further up the street, where you will find the majority of the gay population and gay bars, but that area is still pretty quiet, sometimes. ;)

BourbonStreet1.jpg

Awesome shot, Nate! Thats a side of Bourbon Street Ive never seen before :w00t:

Hankster, thanks for all the great shots of Chattanooga! :D

About the Monroe, youre right about it looking more than 29 stories, you made me have to check to make sure I was right about the height :rofl:

Finally decided to pull out a few of my shots that I took earlier this year and put them over here. Here's a couple I took near the beginning of Bathhouse Row in Hot Springs National Park, Hot Springs Arkansas. A bit of an oddity being somewhat of an 'urban' national park.

img7951ss6xy.jpg

img8049ss6ly.jpg