Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Theres a Hilton going up in the Richmond suburb of Short Pump too. Itll be 12 stories :D

And Tommy, don't forget the Miller & Rhoads Hilton at the Convention Center downtown Richmond. The former Department Store is being transformed into approximately 250 hotel rooms and 120 condos and should be on line by 2008. It's directly across Broad Street from the Richmond Marriott and about six blocks away from the Mobil/AAA rated five-star Jefferson Hotel on West Franklin Street.

I really like the Chattanooga pictures, Hankster! Keep 'em coming if you can! I only spent a little bit of time in downtown Chatanooga when I was there a few weeks ago, but I did like what little I saw. And your pictures make me want to check out the area again even more.

But, it doesn't seem like Chatanooga is free of any traffic problems either, traffic was horrible on I-24 and I-75 when I got in and was leaving. But, I wasn't exactly expecting it to be traffic free anyway. ;)

Speaking of traffic, check out these two pictures from Baton Rouge, the second one being mine. Baton Rouge was known to have some of the worst traffic in the South even before Katrina, but now that the city has a population upwards of 300,000 and a metro population of at least 850,000, traffic is really...really bad. <_<

This looks like something you would see in a much larger city, it's not even normally this bad in New Orleans:

Bad%20air%20in%20BR.jpg

And this was taken from a nearby spot on I-10 as well, and this was at around 1:30 in the afternoon, not even rush hour:

img22115nv.jpg

If these impressive pics of Greenville ever make it to a national audience, and the rest of country realizes what a FABULOUS city Greenville is, we might be witness to the South's next boomtown.

Talk about beauty, and potential---and there's already a sizable population base.

Here's a photo of the isolated Morris Island Lighthouse stuck on a sandbar near Charleston, South Carolina.

14059501_88648b667c_b.jpg

Thoughts?

If these impressive pics of Greenville ever make it to a national audience, and the rest of country realizes what a FABULOUS city Greenville is, we might be witness to the South's next boomtown.

Talk about beauty, and potential---and there's already a sizable population base.

I have to agree. It's a beautiful city. The fact that we have several forumers from there with the "photographic eye" only helps it out even more.

Edited by ironchapman

Greenville seems to be booming all over the place these days. It has gotten the attention of investors around the nation recently and is exploding in the tourism industry - 720% tourism revenue increase in less than 10 years. With the Tour de France well underway, Greenville is eagerly anticipating the US Pro Cycling Championship races around Labor Day weekend later this year. This will put the city front and center in the cycling world, which should only help to increase the popularity of the region. But we'll just have to wait and see... ;)

IC - Great shot of the old lighthouse! I love those structures and hope they stand for decades, even centuries to come. :D

Here's a photo of the isolated Morris Island Lighthouse stuck on a sandbar near Charleston, South Carolina.

14059501_88648b667c_b.jpg

Thoughts?

I personally think your photos of the Morris Island lighthouse are some of the best I've ever seen of it. This is potentially one of the coolest light houses on the east coast and any efforts to restore are well worth the time and money. :thumbsup:

^Glad you liked them, NCB. I'll have to post more tomorrow.

I personally think your photos of the Morris Island lighthouse are some of the best I've ever seen of it. This is potentially one of the coolest light houses on the east coast and any efforts to restore are well worth the time and money. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment.

Per the bolded part:

--I can't help but agree. I've become a lighthouse enthusiast over the past few years (all started with a trip to the Outer Banks). This has been one of my favorite lighthouses just because of its situation (isolated on a sandbar and in great need of restoration), not to mention the history behind it.

Sometime tomorrow (as I mentioned before), I'll have to dig up and post my other photos of the lighthouse from the deep recesses of my Flickr.

Edited by ironchapman

That is one beautiful building, Brian! There are some outstanding examples of early 20th century Art Deco in the South. :shades:

Thanks. I wish I could have been the one to design such a beautiful structure. All I can do, however, is try to show its beauty through photograpy. And yes, the south does have some awesome Art Deco buildings. Shreveport has another good one... the city's Municipal Auditorium!

The Palmetto Building in Columbia reminds me a lot of that one. And these are not my pictures, I "borrowed" them from JFER1980's post in the Columbia Forum.

S5300007.jpg

S5300485.jpg

It is our soon-to-be Sheraton Boutique hotel. They are working inside steadily. Just across the street from it is the 12-story Barringer Building that is being converted into 75 apartments. Both of these buildings are in the very heart of the heart of downtown.

IC - Great shot of the old lighthouse! I love those structures and hope they stand for decades, even centuries to come. :D

Hey you guys (as well as anyone else who might be interested), here are the other pics pics I took of the Morris Island Lighthouse:

Looking Up

26949862_4a59307ef0_b.jpg

Inside the Lighthouse

--By chance, a glass pane on the door had been knocked out, so I stuck my camera in for a shot.

14059502_7b52f02b4e_b.jpg

Thoughts?

Hey you guys (as well as anyone else who might be interested), here are the other pics pics I took of the Morris Island Lighthouse:

Looking Up

26949862_4a59307ef0_b.jpg

Inside the Lighthouse

--By chance, a glass pane on the door had been knocked out, so I stuck my camera in for a shot.

14059502_7b52f02b4e_b.jpg

Thoughts?

The glass was knocked out "by chance," huh?

No, seriously, great photos. Pretty creepy inside!