Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Yeah, Bristol is in Tennessee and Virginia. The state line runs right through the old downtown main street. In this photo, you can really see better. This is looking west. The right side of the road is Virginia and the left side is Tennessee. Bristol VA population is about 19,000 and Bristol TN population is about 26,000. However, population of the entire metro area (Tri-Cities) is about 450,000.

That's pretty cool. So is there a "Welcome to Tennesee" sign on one side of the road and a "Welcome to Virginia" sign on the other side? :)

Those Columbia photos are neat. I am going to visit Columbia one of these days. Perhaps on the way to Florida. I have relatives in Anderson, SC, so perhaps then.

You should. There's quite a bit to see and do there. Post lots of pics whenever you do visit.

Here's a picture of the Electric Power Board headquarters building in Chattanooga under construction last Fall. It is 8 stories and includes a 505 car parking structure to the rear. The project is finishing up right now.

PB190649.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Hey RestedTraveler, what are you doing in Texas? Just visiting?

Yes, indeedey. I'm visiting some family here in Chandler, Texas, actually.

Awesome flag photos with the high-rise in the background. Tyler certainly has some fairly tall buildings for being a city of only some 90,000 people. Another impressive city of about the same size is Midland, TX.

That Tyler Town Center is a neat old building on the square, for sure. Here's another one, the Plaza Tower in Tyler, Texas (AKA the "Mini Sears Tower," as SBCmetroguy describes it):

187790355_a65c282608_b.jpg

187790360_90d1ae2e89_b.jpg

Yes, indeedey. I'm visiting some family here in Chandler, Texas, actually.

That Tyler Town Center is a neat old building on the square, for sure. Here's another one, the Plaza Tower in Tyler, Texas (AKA the "Mini Sears Tower," as SBCmetroguy describes it):

187790355_a65c282608_b.jpg

187790360_90d1ae2e89_b.jpg

Mini Sears Tower is actually its nickname. :D I'd take credit for it if I came up with it, but it was called that long before I ever saw it. It's a cool building, though, and the Sears Tower was actually the influence behind it I've been told (one of my friends is an architect in Tyler and he told me that.)

I'll give you credit anyway. :rofl:

One thing I did notice is that it's the Bank of America HQ here. I have this affinity for photographing Bank of America towers, it seems. :silly:

:lol:

Sorry we don't have a BOA tower for you to photograph over here on your way back through. We've got AmSouth, Chase, CapitalOne, and Regions towers but that's it for bank towers here.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Yeah, in various parts of the city on road that cross "north-south", there are "Welcome to Tennessee and Welcome to Virginia" signs on each side.

Yeah, we will probably get to Columbia soon.... depending upon the health condition of grandpa and our dog, both of which are undergoing some health issues now, so its not easy to get away.

BTW- great photos of Columbia! That is a neat house. Those palm trees really make it more neat looking with the SC setting. I wish my palm trees were that big now. Here is my little palm in my front lawn.....

This first one was taken in May I think.....

100_0202.jpg

7e55f852.jpg

Do you know of any large, old, historic houses there in the Columbia, with the old Southern Live Oaks in the front lawn?

That's pretty cool. So is there a "Welcome to Tennesee" sign on one side of the road and a "Welcome to Virginia" sign on the other side? :)

You should. There's quite a bit to see and do there. Post lots of pics whenever you do visit.

Edited by Tennesseestorm

^That's a cool-looking old building. Once finished, you can tell it'll make a nice condo development. Did the outside have to be acid-washed or anything, or was it in pretty decent shape already? I see graffiti on the boarded-up windows so I wonder how much more there was on the building before the remodel began.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Definitely. Right next door to it is another mill, Granby Mill, that has already been rehabbed. Check out their website to see what Granby looks like and what Olympia will look like; they're pretty sweet.

I think the outside was already in pretty good shape. Those mills were built to last. The biggest one in town houses the State Museum.

Edited by krazeeboi

My next picture of the day is a shot of one of the many Civil War memorials on top of Missionary Ridge. Battles raged for days on top of this ridge during 1863 which has a commanding view over Chattanooga.

PB190637.jpg

Here's the view of downtown Chattanooga from Missionary Ridge. The mountain in the background on the left is Raccoon Mountain, the mountain on the right is Signal Mountain.

PB190639.jpg