Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Nice pic. I still don't consider that the building tallest in the south. The spire had to be added on the top of that cage to grab that title. Houston tallest skyscraper at 1,002 ft. needs to add a 100'ft spire and take the title back. Sorry. BOA is a "Great" building though. Atlanta is prime-time. I have always thought rules for tallest is debatable.

Edited by richyb83

^Thanks Richy!

And I made an error, One Shell Square was the tallest building up until 1976, not '79. It was the tallest building in the South at 697 feet when it was completed in 1972, and the held the title until 1976 when the 722 foot Westin Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta surpassed it.

Another example of how times have changed. 697 feet really isn't even that tall anymore compared to many other buildings in other Southern cities like Miami, Atlanta, Houston, and of course now Nashville. Charlotte's skyline is growing taller and taller as well.

I'll start postings some of my photos of Chattanooga on the East Tennessee Photo of the day thread. I'll post them one day at a time until everyone get a chance to see them all. I hope eveyone enyoys them. Chattanooga's nickname is the Scenic City. After you get a chance to see them all, I think you will agree!

The first shot is taken from the corner of Georgia Ave and Martin Luther King in downtown Chattanooga. The building on the right is the 12 story Volunteer Life Building built in 1917, and the building in the background is the Dome Building. It was Chattanooga's first highrise and was built in 1899.

PB190650.jpg

This shot is of my favorite downtown "watering hole", The Pickel Barrel. It's like a mini Flat Iron building and I love the atmoshere inside. You can dine on the roof, and there are great views up there.

PB190654.jpg

Wow... how many of those flatiron-style buildings does Chattanooga have?? That first one is very cool, by the way!!

Hello... Was tipped off that there was no Tennessee participation on this board. So here are a few photos of downtown Chattanooga!

CIMG0276resize640x480.jpg

These are all great photos, but this one in particular caught my eye. If we had a statue like that here, I'd have nothing but photos of that beautiful thing! :w00t:

Here's another Chattanooga pic for today. This is a shot of the new River Pier Landing project that has been recently completed. It is located on the downtown waterfront next to the Aquarium and is a mixed use retail / luxury condo project. Condos are in the $600,000 and up range. There are two excellent restaurants and a Coldstone Creamery ice cream store which have recently opened on the bottom level.

PB190722.jpg

Here's some pictures I took a little more than a month ago in Nashville. I decided to focus on projects currently under construction. There is quite a bit construction around Nashville these days and a lot of cranes dotting the skyline. I have enough pictures to require two posts. Here's the first ones:

Viridian (33 Stories) and SunTrust (13 Stories) Cranes

P6031084.jpg

SunTrust construction

P6031095.jpg

Viridian construction. The open area that I shot across in this picture is a parking lot where the 1,047 Ft, 65 Story Signature Tower is planned to be built. Construction is planned to begin in January, 2007. About 35% of the condo units worth nearly $100,000,000 have already been reserved.

P6031099.jpg

Hampton Inn SoBro (6 Stories) construction

P6031087.jpg

Leveled Encore Site (20 Story Condo construction should begin by the end of this month) with Hampton Inn crane in background. The Encore is now officially scheduled to begin construction on July 12th.

P6031091.jpg

Davidson County Courthouse rehabilitation with construction crane

P6031092.jpg

Schermerhorn Symphony Hall construction nearing completion (opening in September)

P6031093.jpg

22 Story Icon under construction (crane by next month?) and 14 Story Terrazzo site (construction to start soon). The Terrazzo actually broke ground last week.

P6031101.jpg

18 story Adelicia Condos construction (the crane is a whopper and too big to capture all of it in this shot)

P6031105.jpg

Two cranes rising on the Vanderbilt Medical Center complex

P6031106.jpg

P6031107.jpg

The Bristol West End Condos

P6031108.jpg

Meridian West End Condos

P6031111.jpg

Park West Court Condos

P6031113.jpg

Lots lined up to be sold for redevelopment across the street from the Park West Court condos

P6031114.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Here's the rest of the Nashville construction photos taken a little more than one month ago. I hope you enjoy!

Graymont Park Condos construction

P6031115.jpg

Midtown Lofts construction

P6031116.jpg

Regent Condos construction

P6031118.jpg

The West End Condos (11 Stories) crane

P6031110.jpg

The West End Condos construction

P6031120.jpg

:rofl: You did it afterall, didn't ya...

Great shot, Tommy!!

Maybe I should run out and take a picture of that same flag with my new camera. ;) Nah... it's 20 miles away and I'm getting hungry so I've got to stick close to the house.

Haha, thanks man! I did feel awkward going out into the street holding a flag and taking pictures of it :blush:

And only 20 miles? Lazy bum :D Im right there with ya though!

Edited by TBurban