Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Awesome shot, NCB! My hotel the last time we stayed there, the Hilton at Dupont Circle, mustve been right around the corner.

Wow, you stayed very close to were I stayed this time. The Hilton Embassy Row is the large grew building in the left-center of the photo. Is that the same hotel?

Wow, you stayed very close to were I stayed this time. The Hilton Embassy Row is the large grew building in the left-center of the photo. Is that the same hotel?

That might be it. Im trying to remember, when you pull up the hotel, the front was curved, from the sky it probably looked like a stretched out "U." It was right by Dupont Circle though, so it very well may be near where your picture was taken.

A lot of cities have done it. They've picked out some animal or object that best represents their city, created a limited number of them as sculptures, and commissioned artists to paint them, cover them with papier-mache, or otherwise create more elaborate works of art from them. Chicago, I believe, started the whole mess with cows. Orlando, Florida had geckos. Athens, Georgia had its bulldogs. Fort Wayne, Indiana put its Mastadons on Parade. Ocala, Florida had thoroughbread horses, such as this one:

179343038_6a6b458cec_b.jpg

What has your city done, if anything? Fortunately, Greenville hasn't fallen victim to this cliche yet. :P

This one seemed appropriate for the weekend. Happy Independence Day, y'all!

Edited by RestedTraveler

A lot of cities have done it. They've picked out some animal or object that best represents their city, created a limited number of them as sculptures, and commissioned artists to paint them, cover them with papier-mache, or otherwise create more elaborate works of art from them. Chicago, I believe, started the whole mess with cows. Orlando, Florida had geckos. Athens, Georgia had its bulldogs. Fort Wayne, Indiana put its Mastadons on Parade. Ocala, Florida had thoroughbread horses, such as this one:

179343038_6a6b458cec_b.jpg

What has your city done, if anything? Fortunately, Greenville hasn't fallen victim to this cliche yet. :P

This one seemed appropriate for the weekend. Happy Independence Day, y'all!

Awesome shot, RestedTraveler :D We have fish up in Richmond, and down by Norfolk mermaids :D Happy 4th of July to you all too!

Edited by TBurban

Every time I come to this thread I enjoy the best eye candy!!!

I especially loved the pic of Mass Ave in D.C.

Isn't it wonderful that our country's capital is so fabulous!!! Viva D.C.:)

I love DC because it shows that you can feel very uban without skyscrapers. I love the European feel of the city and the density!

Thanks Nate. I am mad at myself though, bec. if I had the pic slightly more to the right, I would have a better pic. of the Old State Capitol.

BTW that's an outstanding night time pic you took on Massachutsetts Ave.

Edited by richyb83

Thanks Nate. I am mad at myself though, bec. if I had the pic slightly more to the right, I would have a better pic. of the Old State Capitol.

BTW that's an outstanding night time pic you took on Massachutsetts Ave.

Thanks man. And I think you got enough of the Old State Capitol in the picture to show off some of it's great architecture. :thumbsup:

Hello... Was tipped off that there was no Tennessee participation on this board. So here are a few photos of downtown Chattanooga!

Walnut Street pedestrian bridge over the Tennessee River, looking north toward Coolidge Park from Hunter Museum of American Art

CIMG0275resize640x480.jpg

Walnut Street bridge on the left, Museum Bluffs Riverside Condo construction, Lookout Mountain in background, Aquarium on the right, Market Street Bridge rehabilitation project on the right.

CIMG0263resize800x600.jpg

Taken from Coolidge Park.

CIMG0259resize640x480.jpg

Coolidge Park and Chattanooga Northshore waterfront) taken from Walnut Street bridge

CIMG0262resize640x480.jpg

Hunter Museum of American Art

CIMG0287resize640x480.jpg

CIMG0276resize640x480.jpg

Museum Bluffs Riverside Condos - To be completed Sept 2006

CIMG0252resize640x480.jpg

CIMG0270resize640x480.jpg

CIMG0292resize640x480.jpg

^Great photos from Chatanooga. I was able to visit for the first time about two weeks ago on my way up to Washington D.C. Beautiful area, and Lookout Mountain was great. The only problem was that it was extremely hazy and that made it tough to get some good pictures.

Here's one of the few pictures I was able to get, the Tennessee River from about halfway up Lookout Mountain:

IMG_4319.jpg

Great shots everybody ! The Richmond Int'l Airport looks cutting edge Tommy !

What thy have done to the Riverfront in Chattanooga is great, and a blueprint for other river cities to follow. That's one sleek condo too.Thanks and welcome to bazooka for taking those.

And great shot overlooking the Tennessee River too Nate. That stretch of highway has some great scenery. I remember the area being very hazy too.

Edited by richyb83

I'll start postings some of my photos of Chattanooga on the East Tennessee Photo of the day thread. I'll post them one day at a time until everyone get a chance to see them all. I hope eveyone enyoys them. Chattanooga's nickname is the Scenic City. After you get a chance to see them all, I think you will agree!

The first shot is taken from the corner of Georgia Ave and Martin Luther King in downtown Chattanooga. The building on the right is the 12 story Volunteer Life Building built in 1917, and the building in the background is the Dome Building. It was Chattanooga's first highrise and was built in 1899.

PB190650.jpg

This shot is of my favorite downtown "watering hole", The Pickel Barrel. It's like a mini Flat Iron building and I love the atmoshere inside. You can dine on the roof, and there are great views up there.

PB190654.jpg

Great looking photos everyone! And I really like the downtown Chatanooga pictures as well.

It's so obvious that we're all proud of our city:)

You bet, we're all proud of where we're from around here, and like you said, that's very obvious. :thumbsup: