210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

9 hours ago, steve_o said:

Not disagreeing but PLEASE let's start with "legalizing"  Happy Hour.  Maybe that will save it. 

It's interesting that you post this today because House Bill 94 was just filed yesterday in Raleigh which will do exactly that.  It has bipartisan support and I believe it is expected to pass. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

It's interesting that you post this today because House Bill 94 was just filed yesterday in Raleigh which will do exactly that.  It has bipartisan support and I believe it is expected to pass. 

Whatever happened to social districts here?  Will the happy hour legislation leave it in individual business owners’ hands to implement, or will Charlotte City Council have to engage a commission, perform a study, and come up with its own local implementation framework that businesses can then study and figure out before executing on their own plans?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Whatever happened to social districts here?  Will the happy hour legislation leave it in individual business owners’ hands to implement, or will Charlotte City Council have to engage a commission, perform a study, and come up with its own local implementation framework that businesses can then study and figure out before executing on their own plans?

I'm not sure how the bill will affect social districts.  Nothing I've read about it has even mentioned them so that will be interesting to see how that might change things.  It seems the main focus is to allow business owners to be able to offer deals (such as a 2 for 1 type thing) and sale prices for alcohol during the happy hour.  I think there are a couple of other things that generally give bars more freedom and flexibility, but the bulk of the bill is to allow price adjustments and deals. 

29 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I'm not sure how the bill will affect social districts.  Nothing I've read about it has even mentioned them so that will be interesting to see how that might change things.  It seems the main focus is to allow business owners to be able to offer deals (such as a 2 for 1 type thing) and sale prices for alcohol during the happy hour.  I think there are a couple of other things that generally give bars more freedom and flexibility, but the bulk of the bill is to allow price adjustments and deals. 

I’m not expecting this piece of legislation to impact Charlotte’s as of now non-existent social districts once passed.  Rather, I was referencing the fact that the last bit of state-passed legislation liberalizing alcohol consumption has yet to deliver in Charlotte because the city needed to implement, and the casual observer might conclude that we are slow-moving.

Edited by RANYC

12 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Yeah, what about that???  Here’s a pic a friend sent to me last week.  From the social district in downtown Mooresville.  MOORESVILLE I said.   I wish we were as cosmopolitan and forward thinking as Mooresville.  

Many of NC cities have figured out how to do a Social District  Kannapolis, Mooresville, Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh but somehow it is harder here in Charlotte and not sure why. 

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2023/01/14/nc-social-districts-

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Horrific news out of Plaza Midwood from this past weekend as Charlotte chef, Ken Ross, was killed when a speeding and impaired driver rammed into the car he was driving alongside his wife.  She had to be cut out of the passenger seat.  They were both married last year.  Ken was 29.  I post this here as I’m trying to assess the impact social districts may have on impaired driving here, especially given so many roads are designed to encourage speeding, and given we are densifying even as there’s more impaired driving, and given DUI enforcement appears to be way down.  Would speed cameras essentially disallowed by the state legislature have acted as a deterrent in this case?  This idea of plentiful drinking and watering holes as defining urban vitality is so played out for me.  Too many people I know have been victims of irresponsible drinking.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, RANYC said:

Horrific news out of Plaza Midwood from this past weekend as Charlotte chef, Ken Ross, was killed when a speeding and impaired driver rammed into the car he was driving alongside his wife.  She had to be cut out of the passenger seat.  They were both married last year.  Ken was 29.  I post this here as I’m trying to assess the impact social districts may have on impaired driving here, especially given so many roads are designed to encourage speeding, and given we are densifying even as there’s more impaired driving, and given DUI enforcement appears to be way down.  Would speed cameras essentially disallowed by the state legislature have acted as a deterrent in this case?  This idea of plentiful drinking and watering holes as defining urban vitality is so played out for me.  Too many people I know have been victims of irresponsible drinking.

Absolutely terrible tragedy caused by selfish and irresponsible behavior.

Re: Speed Cameras ; I don't think a person driving under the influence is going to slow down for a speed camera. Responsibility and logic goes out the window. Drunk drivers can't even follow basic actions like staying in their lane, stopping at stop signs, following light signals, et... 

The problem is so bad in this country given the amount of people with drinking problems that having breathalyzers required to start a vehicle should be a requirement. Drunk driving impacts all of us, including sober people... so the inconvenience of needing to use a breathalyzer to start a car would be possibly offset by less drunks behind the wheel of a car. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

Last line from the axios article:

What’s next: CBRE is starting renovations to the property, mainly in its plaza, later this spring.

• Work includes repainting the entire building, replacing the walkway pavers, and installing benches and planters in the main common area.
  • It will repair the exterior staircases and interior façades as well.

Benches and paint! And an Instagram museum!

Sorry to be a pessimist but this place is going to be dead on arrival.

• Like 1

I like the description of Nostalgia…

• “The small retailer sells goods including apparel, kitchen and bar items, and gifts.”

Pretty big for uptown imo to sell stuff like that. It’s a start. Looking forward to hearing what takes some of the bigger spots like the old gym, Enso, suite, etc. I think more video boards inside the plaza or interactive things would be cool to bring some energy there. That was one of my favorite upgrades to the epicentre back in the day when they installed the video ribbons and video boards facing the intersection. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

Prediction you can take to the bank... All those will be closed within 12 months of opening.  

I agree. They sound like B- and C tenants.  We need something more appealing, like an aquarium or Lego store, Apple Store, H&M, etc.  maybe when H&M closes at Northlake they can move uptown! Lol

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, TheMightyBK said:

In Munich I remember gawking at the sight of a multi-floor car dealership downtown….how about furniture showrooms?  NC has cars and furniture in its roots…seems like a natural fit

Meh…we don’t use the word “car” on this site! :)