210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

12 hours ago, RANYC said:

My take is that someone saw a concept in downtown Nashville, and thought an Epicentre remake might borrow from and incorporate aspects of that concept.  Is 5th and Broadway's success staked on Nashville's tourism, or is it mostly utilized by office workers?  If the latter, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work in Charlotte.

Everything on Broadway is staked on Tourism, that's the only reason that area exists. I'm not trying to put anyone's opinion down, I'd love for something like that to exist in Uptown, I'm just saying it's pointless to compare an area like Broadway to Uptown. It's like trying to compare Bourbon Street to Uptown, it just doesn't work.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Everything on Broadway is staked on Tourism, that's the only reason that area exists. I'm not trying to put anyone's opinion down, I'd love for something like that to exist in Uptown, I'm just saying it's pointless to compare an area like Broadway to Uptown. It's like trying to compare Bourbon Street to Uptown, it just doesn't work.

It can be on a smaller scale.  Charlotte has way more tourism than it used to.  It doesn’t have to be as big as 5th + Broadway but something similar is what I’m saying.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another tenant signed up Stoners Pizza.

""Stoner’s Pizza Joint has landed its first Charlotte location — and more are on the horizon. The quick-service pizza franchise has signed a lease for a 2,540-square-foot restaurant and bar at Queen City Quarter, formerly the Epicentre. It is targeting a fall opening.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/14/stoners-pizza-joint-charlotte-expansion.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/23/2023 at 2:48 PM, KJHburg said:

Photos of the Epicenter renovation.  In walking through this place for the first time in a long time it is important given its location to be turned around.  Given its 3 hotels on site this is the first place many will experience uptown Charlotte.  

20230823_124854.jpg

20230823_124925.jpg

20230823_125006.jpg

20230823_125039.jpg

20230823_125046.jpg

20230823_125048.jpg

20230823_125052.jpg

20230823_125102.jpg

What's everyone's bet on this renovation being successful? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, CLT Development said:

It depends on what kind of tenants they attract so far more restaurants.  I would try service businesses like more doctor offices etc. As I said we need this to go good given its location uptown and surrounded by hotels, transit etc.  

• Like 4

If the new ownership doesn't bite the bullet and allocate the funds for a sizeable security presence then I fear that we'll end up having a repeat of what this place devolved into before the shutdowns just with a fresh coat of paint.  All it's going to take is one or two nasty incidents to take place and the narrative that this place is just as dangerous as it was will be set in stone.

12 hours ago, CLT Development said:

This assumed two things: 

1. You might know something we don't

2. You don't think it will be successful 

I'll add my two cents here - I was super excited for Epicentre, even as it was VE'd to death. I think it serves a unique function as being the central source for retail Uptown. Now, that's only as a result of a vision that has otherwise gone awry. And I think the new owners should look at the rehab as twofold: quality of space and quality of tenant. The easiest to fix is the quality of space. Put money into upfitting this development so that it looks great. As I've always been told, under-promise and over-deliver. Do what you know you can do, at the best you can do it, but don't show us flashy renderings only for it to look awful in the end. It's ok if you can't make it the most super luxury space in city. Don't aim for that. 

And that leads to quality of tenant -- my suggestion? No bars. But that doesn't fly in reality. Remember that this space is supposed to serve tourists who are used to their chain restaurants, and employees who are used to finding quick spots to eat or grab necessities. Let CVS be the centerpoint of the development. Not kidding. Make it so everyone has to go to that CVS to get their toiletries for the nearby hotels. Same with restaurants. Variety in type and price is essential here. 

Finally, as much as I hate it, don't attempt a non-food retail lease unless you are able to lock that down for at least two years. And, look at places like DECO in Raleigh for non-food retail that can be successful here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rufus said:

This assumed two things: 

1. You might know something we don't

2. You don't think it will be successful 

This time around pretty Blues Clues-less about the future of this development and its chances of success. What I do know is between this and Monarch Market we need the both to do incredibly well. It's pretty vital to the health and well being of Uptown Charlotte. I am very cautiously optimistic but I just don't know if it can go back to it's heyday.

• Like 3

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I really think the new Epicenter should try to copy what was done in Nashville with 5th and Broadway.  We already have two food halls in Charlotte (Optimist and District Market) and another one on the way.  I think it would be very successful at epicenter.  Throw in a sprinkle of retail and it’s good to go. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I really think the new Epicenter should try to copy what was done in Nashville with 5th and Broadway.  We already have two food halls in Charlotte (Optimist and District Market) and another one on the way.  I think it would be very successful at epicenter.  Throw in a sprinkle of retail and it’s good to go. 

I don't disagree, but it is incredibly hard to get non-food retail to root themselves and be successful uptown. And now we have to worry about the retail pull of South End. 

I do believe there is a need to compliment the CVS with other service retail and then maybe sprinkle in a gift/design shop...again, look at DECO in Raleigh. A store like that uptown would make a killing. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 11:55 PM, CLT Development said:

Depends on how you define "success." 

I believe CBRE is implementing a property stabilization plan.  The lender to the property now owns it due to foreclosure proceedings, and no outside buyers came forth.  The bank-lender is not in the business of place-making or creating extraordinary real-estate projects that are a source of civic pride and a major tourism draw.

I've set very low expectations for what's happening there now.  There was a very negative narrative surrounding Epicenter before and I'm sure the property had negative cash flow, so no one wanted in at a price the lender could stomach.

Some very basic, cosmetic enhancements like a paint job, safe flooring, structural repairs will hopefully get the occupancy rate up even if they have to sign low-to-medium rate tenants, but I'm not looking for anything transformative or even much of a tourist draw for the time being.  I'd be curious to know how long are the leases being signed, and what's the dollar amount of renovations being done.  My sense is that when the market turns and this thing finds a buyer like Asana, we'll have reason to believe, at that time, that this property may finally be on a path to "success."

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1