Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

Plans for the Dermon Building have changed once again as the owners have decided to revert back to their original plans of turning it into a hotel.

Dermon Building could become a Holiday Inn Express

By Rob Moore, The Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/38360/dermon-building-downtown-memphis-holiday-inn-express

According to an application recently submitted to the Downtown Memphis Commission, Nick and Sam Patel seek a 10-year Payment In Lieu of Taxes for the “refurbishment and transformation” of the 98-year-old Downtown building into “The Dermon Building, by Holiday Inn Express.”

The development project would add 150 new hotel rooms Downtown and provide on-site parking at a nearby facility owned by the developers, according to a letter submitted by Nick Patel.

Dermon Capital Group bought the property in early 2016. It also owns the surface parking lots behind the building, totaling about three-quarters of an acre.

Almost one year ago, the developers secured an initial 12-year PILOT from the DMC’s Center City Revenue Finance Corp., which allowed for the conversion of the building into a multi-family dwelling property. This project would have cost about $17 million. 

dermon-holiday-inn-express-01.thumb.jpg.9ea93dec53ac7fed924f3767a5e87376.jpg

dermon-holiday-inn-express-02.thumb.jpg.2da7b88c0df8e1a2e167c80379a4b41e.jpg

Link to the application (with additional images included): https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Dermon-Building-Hotel_PILOT_Application_FINAL.pdf

• Like 2

5 hours ago, James Owen said:

Plans for the Dermon Building have changed once again as the owners have decided to revert back to their original plans of turning it into a hotel.

Dermon Building could become a Holiday Inn Express

By Rob Moore, The Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/38360/dermon-building-downtown-memphis-holiday-inn-express

dermon-holiday-inn-express-01.thumb.jpg.9ea93dec53ac7fed924f3767a5e87376.jpg

dermon-holiday-inn-express-02.thumb.jpg.2da7b88c0df8e1a2e167c80379a4b41e.jpg

Link to the application (with additional images included): https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Dermon-Building-Hotel_PILOT_Application_FINAL.pdf

Holiday Inn Express…blah. I liked it better as apartments, but if you’re going to do a hotel in such a historic building, do a boutique hotel. Or at least Curio/Tapestry/Autograph/Vignette  Collection if you want to be associated with Hilton, IHG or Marriott. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Holiday Inn Express…blah. I liked it better as apartments, but if you’re going to do a hotel in such a historic building, do a boutique hotel. Or at least Curio/Tapestry/Autograph/Vignette  Collection if you want to be associated with Hilton, IHG or Marriott. 

I kind of agree.  Basic hotel brand, but at least it is redevelopment of a vacant building. That's great news, all in all for downtown Memphis.

Love to see the infill and redevelopment for Memphis.

Where else but Memphis would a Holiday Inn Express be big news?  Yes, it’s good to renovate an old building but Downtown is in desperate need of a much larger, better brands of hotels, restaurants and attractions.  With so many failed attempts to land something like a Grand Hyatt or JWMarriott, this is just embarrassing.  50 years ago Memphis had Kemmons Wilson and the world HQ of Holiday Inns here with more than a dozen inns across the city, and some decent flagship-type properties like the Holiday Inn Rivermont.  Today the tourism and convention sector in Memphis is not robust enough to attract big name venues to the city.  Kevin Kane has been CEO at the convention and tourism bureau far too long. 

• Like 2

Here in Chattanooga, we saw a lot of old building renovations into hotels before we started seeing new "ground-up" hotels and residential. We're now getting our first Hyatt (new build) and got a Westin (a renovation) a few years back. Add to that several boutiques that were built new recently. I like old masonry buildings like this one, and perhaps it should be a boutique, but it's only a positive thing this is being converted to a hotel (the urban Holiday Inns I know of are well kept up-to-date).

It's a big positive to have a demand for tourists in the core of the city. I'm aware that Memphis has a strong residential core, but anything that generates more activity downtown will only build upon what's there. These lower-end hotels are filling a need, especially in the wake of the convention center expansion. Unfortunately for Memphis, the larger corporations are not located downtown. They generate demand for more expensive hotels. So it will take time. Another thing to consider, with so many different flags within one hotel company, such as Intercontinental Group in this case, the success of this one could well lead to a brand new luxury flag in the future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Here in Chattanooga, we saw a lot of old building renovations into hotels before we started seeing new "ground-up" hotels and residential. We're now getting our first Hyatt (new build) and got a Westin (a renovation) a few years back. Add to that several boutiques that were built new recently. I like old masonry buildings like this one, and perhaps it should be a boutique, but it's only a positive thing this is being converted to a hotel (the urban Holiday Inns I know of are well kept up-to-date).

It's a big positive to have a demand for tourists in the core of the city. I'm aware that Memphis has a strong residential core, but anything that generates more activity downtown will only build upon what's there. These lower-end hotels are filling a need, especially in the wake of the convention center expansion. Unfortunately for Memphis, the larger corporations are not located downtown. They generate demand for more expensive hotels. So it will take time. Another thing to consider, with so many different flags within one hotel company, such as Intercontinental Group in this case, the success of this one could well lead to a brand new luxury flag in the future. 

Good point 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 12:02 AM, VSRJ said:

I drove past the Mobility Center last night - photos don't do it justice. It's a beautiful building. I hope they can find tenants for the retail bays. That would make for a great link between the South Main mall and the Orpheum.

It’s sharp, sad when a new parking garage is more attractive and artistic than the Proposed Brooks Museum.

Reading today’s news, yet another major downtown project seems to be in trouble.  Memphis development curse continues as multiple projects always seem to stall, fail or disappear.  Those that materialize are small scale and generally underwhelming.  Memphis can’t ever seem to catch a break.  What is it about this city that these failures continue?

I would agree that even the demolished parking garage looked better than this brutalist bunker. 

1 hour ago, Nothingspectacular said:

Reading today’s news, yet another major downtown project seems to be in trouble.  Memphis development curse continues as multiple projects always seem to stall, fail or disappear.  Those that materialize are small scale and generally underwhelming.  Memphis can’t ever seem to catch a break.  What is it about this city that these failures continue?

I would agree that even the demolished parking garage looked better than this brutalist bunker. 

Are you referring to the Brooks as the project that's in trouble? Or something else?

1 hour ago, Nothingspectacular said:

Construction is continuing. 

You bring nothing of value to this forum.  Every single one of your posts is negative and takes a dig at Memphis.  Please go back to the Nashville forum and stay there, since that is your city of preference.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

MLGW Plans to move from Downtown 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metrocity-of-memphis/article/38924/memphis-mlgw-to-move-downtown-headquarters

I wanted to report this news last week before it got out.

I have a friend that works for MLGW and they told me last week that they just found out about the main office moving out of downtown. I didn't know it would be reported that soon though. Overall, I'm glad because that space downtown will be valuable being near a Entertainment district.

• Like 2

If MLGW relocates it’s headquarters away from downtown to East Memphis that is very bad news for density and foot traffic.  MLGW employs a lot of people and not having those people there will be a hardship for the entire area, especially small businesses that rely on them. Downtown Memphis just doesn’t need another vacant building or lot — there are already so many of them.   Another huge setback to a downtown that has been struggling for years. 

49 minutes ago, Nothingspectacular said:

If MLGW relocates it’s headquarters away from downtown to East Memphis that is very bad news for density and foot traffic.  MLGW employs a lot of people and not having those people there will be a hardship for the entire area, especially small businesses that rely on them. Downtown Memphis just doesn’t need another vacant building or lot — there are already so many of them.   Another huge setback to a downtown that has been struggling for years. 

Another optimistic take from our resident Negative Nancy. 

I think this is great and something I'd hope would happen someday. That's a prime location for hotel, mixed-use, residential, etc. The MLGW building looks like it belongs in the suburbs. Though I'm sure whatever will take its place is years away, it's exciting to think about the possibilities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I think this is great and something I'd hope would happen someday. That's a prime location for hotel, mixed-use, residential, etc. The MLGW building looks like it belongs in the suburbs. Though I'm sure whatever will take its place is years away, it's exciting to think about the possibilities.

IIRC, there was a study done a couple of years back on redeveloping the existing MLGW property into mixed-use. Does anyone still have a link to that proposal?

• Like 1

MLGW seems ready to purchase the Smith and Nephew building out East. It’s never good when a major employer moves its headquarters out of downtown in favor of a suburban campus.  Small businesses that depend on downtown workers will certainly suffer. The MLGW building is 50+ years old and will need to be razed. Yet another empty building or vacant lot is not desirable. Given the dismal track record for development in downtown Memphis, it may be decades before anything is built to replace MLGW. 

On 10/4/2023 at 1:34 PM, TheKernel91 said:

MLGW Plans to move from Downtown 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metrocity-of-memphis/article/38924/memphis-mlgw-to-move-downtown-headquarters

I wanted to report this news last week before it got out.

I have a friend that works for MLGW and they told me last week that they just found out about the main office moving out of downtown. I didn't know it would be reported that soon though. Overall, I'm glad because that space downtown will be valuable being near a Entertainment district.

Just imagine the possibilities. Great locale for a House of blues/ or Hard Rock Cafe/hotel. Could be a few things but I would push for entertainment spot there. This is great news for Downtown!! 

• Like 2

Great news indeed! It would've been nice to see MLGW build something new or relocate downtown, but all in all, very excited to see what will happen! I guess Paul Young had to flex his muscles before the election. LOL. The Downtown Master plan is coming to fruition. Glad that old MLGW will be torn down - it never fit anyway.  That's a good piece of real estate too.

So is the leadership still bad?

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 8:04 AM, Nothingspectacular said:

MLGW seems ready to purchase the Smith and Nephew building out East. It’s never good when a major employer moves its headquarters out of downtown in favor of a suburban campus.  Small businesses that depend on downtown workers will certainly suffer. The MLGW building is 50+ years old and will need to be razed. Yet another empty building or vacant lot is not desirable. Given the dismal track record for development in downtown Memphis, it may be decades before anything is built to replace MLGW. 

I would have you to know the proposal by Doug isn't as it appears and it still has to be approved by the very people working to increase downtown density. Buying the old Harrah's building  is part of a broader plan for the city and MLGW.  That's why he mentioned the construction of a new MLGW headquarters and this isn't the first time the city council has heard this, because several of them would prefer something constructed downtown.  

You mentioned empty buildings and vacant lots, but what you didn't mention is that every large empty building is presently being rehabbed and redeveloped. Vacant shops are seeing life with news businesses and the large vacant property between Union and Beale will have activity on it 2024.  While you're offering your negative view of Memphis, perhaps you should show more concern about the unfinished office buildings in Nashville as well as the unleased office space that's just sitting there. 

You better believe there is an interest in the MLGW property and one party that had shown interest was Hard Rock. 

• Like 4

On 10/8/2023 at 12:41 PM, JTM1 said:

I would have you to know the proposal by Doug isn't as it appears and it still has to be approved by the very people working to increase downtown density. Buying the old Harrah's building  is part of a broader plan for the city and MLGW.  That's why he mentioned the construction of a new MLGW headquarters and this isn't the first time the city council has heard this, because several of them would prefer something constructed downtown.  

You mentioned empty buildings and vacant lots, but what you didn't mention is that every large empty building is presently being rehabbed and redeveloped. Vacant shops are seeing life with news businesses and the large vacant property between Union and Beale will have activity on it 2024.  While you're offering your negative view of Memphis, perhaps you should show more concern about the unfinished office buildings in Nashville as well as the unleased office space that's just sitting there. 

You better believe there is an interest in the MLGW property and one party that had shown interest was Hard Rock. 

This is the issue with not having any new class A office space available downtown.  People cant wait 3 years for a new building.  No one wants to relocate into the older stuff.