Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

19 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

This is the issue with not having any new class A office space available downtown.  People cant wait 3 years for a new building.  No one wants to relocate into the older stuff.

True. Paul Young mentioned that there should be some movement from the Walk in 2024 and  the MLGW HQ would perfect for that development. I hate that it's not going vertical. 

I know the Opus development in East Memphis is a success and they're already looking to build another similar development. 

• 4 weeks later...

10 hours ago, MDC26 said:

That's good news, all-in-all. Those restaurants are "destinations" for folks who love their high customer service level, and of course the waffle fries, chicken sandwiches and sauces. 

Will be good development momentum for the St Jude area.

Chik-Fil-A just opened their first restaurant this week in the Bronx, up here in NYC. This is their 19th in New York City, and they plan on adding more.

16 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I wonder if they're going to feed the traffic off of Uptown or Mill? There is no way they will use Danny Thomas as an inlet and outlet. Look at how traffic comes to a complete stop in the right lane at the Poplar location. 

I was at the Grizzlies' game Wednesday night and I had a discussion with someone affiliated with the organization. She told me the Grizzlies want to expand/enhance the entertainment /food options around FedEx Forum. They're not just looking to remake the inside of FF, but they want the outside area to also reflect the remodel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I wonder if they're going to feed the traffic off of Uptown or Mill? There is no way they will use Danny Thomas as an inlet and outlet. Look at how traffic comes to a complete stop in the right lane at the Poplar location. 

I was at the Grizzlies' game Wednesday night and I had a discussion with someone affiliated with the organization. She told me the Grizzlies want to expand/enhance the entertainment /food options around FedEx Forum. They're not just looking to remake the inside of FF, but they want the outside area to also reflect the remodel. 

Yes that’s why distribution of the money stalled.  They want something similar to deer district in Milwaukee. That vacant lot next to FedEx logistics could be apart of that plan. 

1 minute ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes that’s why distribution of the money stalled.  They want something similar to deer district in Milwaukee. That vacant lot next to FedEx logistics could be apart of that plan. 

https://deerdistrict.com/

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, JTM1 said:

They could hang some string lights down the alley between FEF and get food trucks to set up during the weekends or game nights. They could do a legit makeover to Church Park to make it useable. Then you’ve got 3 surface parking lots lining MLK, adjacent to FEF that could be developed. Would have been nice if the Clipper with hotel & office got developed. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MDC26 said:

They could hang some string lights down the alley between FEF and get food trucks to set up during the weekends or game nights. They could do a legit makeover to Church Park to make it useable. Then you’ve got 3 surface parking lots lining MLK, adjacent to FEF that could be developed. Would have been nice if the Clipper with hotel & office got developed. 

Church Park should certainly be a part of the game day experience. Lot could be done with that as a gathering place. Those vacant lots could certainly become a grizzlies entertainment space 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:24 PM, Memphisborn said:

The lot that had plans with the Clipper and hotel development? It would make sense to bring that area up. I forgot what developer had that land, but that would be nice to have a entertainment destination there. 

I see they have Punch Bowl Social there at the Deer District, I was literally looking into this place last week because they have locations around the country, and I felt that it could do well Downtown, Midtown, East Memphis- Poplar area, or Collierville/Cordova.  I said on here that Downtown is in need of a Fun arcade, bowling, mini golf type of entertainment. 

On 11/10/2023 at 6:24 PM, Memphisborn said:

This makes sense now.  Billy Orgel is a part of the group the owns the property across from FedEx logistics and he also owns the property where the Memphis Music Initiative is located. They could build out to Pontotoc and Vance.  He's definitely about  density. 

17 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I think Paul is going to be a lot more bold  moving the city forward. My sense from him is that he's going to partner with more of the city's benefactors to build out Memphis, especially downtown.  I would like to see the Rock & Soul Museum staging concerts on that plaza.

Church Park is where the should build the aquarium, Mayor Strickland's freshwater institute, a complete replica of Ida B Wells newspaper office and relocate the Handy museum. They could leave about 3 acres on the Beale St side for greenspace and design the aquarium and freshwater institute to look like the auditorium Robert Church built. This would create foot traffic that could be fed onto Beale in the daytime. 

It would be nice if the COGIC church listed its property. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I think Paul is going to be a lot more bold  moving the city forward. My sense from him is that he's going to partner with more of the city's benefactors to build out Memphis, especially downtown.  I would like to see the Rock & Soul Museum staging concerts on that plaza.

Church Park is where the should build the aquarium, Mayor Strickland's freshwater institute, a complete replica of Ida B Wells newspaper office and relocate the Handy museum. They could leave about 3 acres on the Beale St side for greenspace and design the aquarium and freshwater institute to look like the auditorium Robert Church built. This would create foot traffic that could be fed onto Beale in the daytime. 

Church park is named for Robert church prominent African American millionaire that park will not be destroyed just to clear that up. Also have worked on some designs at our office just need funding. Also the city is not pursuing an aquarium as the zoo would like to handle that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Memphis4ever said:

Church park is named for Robert church prominent African American millionaire that park will not be destroyed just to clear that up. Also have worked on some designs at our office just need funding. Also the city is not pursuing an aquarium as the zoo would like to handle that. 

Good to know the Zoo is taking the lead on Aquarium, are they considering Mud Island as the location?? Or some other footprint??

23 hours ago, JTM1 said:

This makes sense now.  Billy Orgel is a part of the group the owns the property across from FedEx logistics and he also owns the property where the Memphis Music Initiative is located. They could build out to Pontotoc and Vance.  He's definitely about  density. 

I hope they don't ever tear down that old Fire House, but one thing they could do instead of having that L shaped parking lot between the Music Initiative and the Gosset Garage is put up some basketball courts for locals to play on.  

18 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Good to know the Zoo is taking the lead on Aquarium, are they considering Mud Island as the location?? Or some other footprint??

I wouldn't say taking the lead.  The Zoo would probably be over an aquarium, but nothing is happening until there's some major capital donated by someone to build it.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

I am familiar with the history of Robert Church, and I am not advocating erasing his history or doing away with the park named after him. However, I am suggesting adding something to the park that would bring life to that area of Beale and Fourth, because it is dry there. Perhaps on the outer edges.

My wife is a former educator, and she was part of a group of teachers that was brought in to learn the curriculum for the Memphis Heritage Trail, before she stepped aside to care for her mother and our newborn. She took photos of design renderings for Church Park, MLK Blvd, the area around the Universal Life building.  I assume these are the designs that you are referring too. My memory isn’t that clear on these photos, but I do believe there was a monument somewhere in the design for the park.

I noticed the Zoo has rebranded and is no longer the Memphis Zoo and Aquarium. It’s just the Memphis Zoo. I have always believed any aquarium should be designed and managed by the zoo. I know it will take private dollars and the zoo is better suited at raising those funds and would be a better partner to private investors than the city.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I hope they don't ever tear down that old Fire House, but one thing they could do instead of having that L shaped parking lot between the Music Initiative and the Gosset Garage is put up some basketball courts for locals to play on.  

I wouldn't say taking the lead.  The Zoo would probably be over an aquarium, but nothing is happening until there's some major capital donated by someone to build it.  

That fire house is here to stay and the Memphis Music Initiative is occupying it.  Perhaps that parking lot could serve as a connector to the garage that serves as a bridge over MLK and connected to a hotel.  

On 11/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, JTM1 said:

COGIC isn't going to sell Pentecostal Temple any time soon as it's one of their main churches in the area along with Temple of Deliverance. At one time, they were willing to let a developer build a new full-service hotel on what is currently a gated lot used for parking across the street, but unfortunately those plans fell through as the developer couldn't get all of their financing together.

I do like your suggestion of building a replica of the old Church Auditorium on the Beale Street side of the park; however, I feel it would be better utilized as a civic/performance venue as opposed to a freshwater aquarium (that's something to place on Mud Island in some form under the management of the Memphis Zoo).

church-park-auditorium-historic-memphis.jpg.bef0567a5db782d97eddf8a5222a9483.jpg

(from the Historic Memphis website)

• Like 1

This one isn't part of The Walk on Union, but it is a rather interesting development nonetheless.

Memphis doctor proposes $70M mixed-use tower on Beale Street

By Stephen MacLeod – Reporter, Memphis Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/11/15/memphis-doctor-mixed-use-tower-beale-street.html

500-beale-development-01.thumb.jpg.cce789fb609f7b3867e99ccbd2739907.jpg

500-beale-development-02.thumb.jpg.9c2fdb2868611ab3e6037f20f0c13ee7.jpg

500-beale-development-03.thumb.jpg.41f0635429746f899d6669161dbd0c45.jpg

500-beale-development-04.thumb.png.268b93514c71c555c2f2a2b7c8549d86.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, James Owen said:

COGIC isn't going to sell Pentecostal Temple any time soon as it's one of their main churches in the area along with Temple of Deliverance. At one time, they were willing to let a developer build a new full-service hotel on what is currently a gated lot used for parking across the street, but unfortunately those plans fell through as the developer couldn't get all of their financing together.

I do like your suggestion of building a replica of the old Church Auditorium on the Beale Street side of the park; however, I feel it would be better utilized as a civic/performance venue as opposed to a freshwater aquarium (that's something to place on Mud Island in some form under the management of the Memphis Zoo).

church-park-auditorium-historic-memphis.jpg.bef0567a5db782d97eddf8a5222a9483.jpg

(from the Historic Memphis website)

Wow! That would look good on Beale St. The image that I saw of this structure was a hand drawing. I have never seen his before. It looks like the Mason Temple. building. 

I have a several friends that are COGIC members and some are ministers.  Their new presiding Bishop is from Detroit and they tell me he is a visionary and  from what I understand COGIC was once the largest property owner in downtown Memphis.  

6 hours ago, James Owen said:

This one isn't part of The Walk on Union, but it is a rather interesting development nonetheless.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/11/15/memphis-doctor-mixed-use-tower-beale-street.html

Interesting design. I love what he said about we need to start living here and not move East.  It appears that he want to give some local investors the opportunity to partner, but his financing is coming from outside investors.  This will definitely influence what the Commercial Appeal property will become. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James Owen said:

I think it looks great. It’s unique and not like the generic 5-8 level multi-family design you can find in every city.  The only bad thing is all those empty lots around it.  If this an the walk could fill up all those lots it would be amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I think it looks great. It’s unique and not like the generic 5-8 level multi-family design you can find in every city.  The only bad thing is all those empty lots around it.  If this an the walk could fill up all those lots it would be amazing. 

Right across from where I work and the spot is similar to the wonder bread bakery lofts. Love the fresh design. 

1 hour ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It IS unique - this is the type of style that needs to be on Beale anyway.

Speaking of the Edge District, what is going on with the Rise at the Ravine, especially where Coleman Taylor used to be? 

The Rise II is not under construction however the University Lofts are under construction.

2044816210_universitylofts.thumb.jpg.c632469317c57b28ddffbe9443476abd.jpg

8u400rhb.jpeg.5c58ed38c1e2f187fcf5cea97e129f1f.jpeg

• Like 2