Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

• 2 weeks later...

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/arts-culture/article/37351/memphis-brooks-museum-of-art-challenged

Friends of our River Front have taken legal action against the Brooks Museum to keep them from building on the bluff.  They claim that the city nor Brooks own the land and that the founder's compact designates the land for a public promenade.  Currently, the bluff Riverwalk has one end that starts in Martyr's Park, travels North along the River Front, and when it reaches Ashburn-Coppock Park, it splits.  One section stays along the River through Tom Lee Park/Beale Street Landing, then runs along Cobblestone Landing, Then through Mississippi River Park/Tennessee Welcome Center, then Along the Wolf River Harbor by the empty area where Lone Star concrete was, beside the Bass Pro, and then circles to go over AW Willis Bridge to Green Belt Park where it will connect to the Wolf River Trail.  The other split takes a bridge that crosses over Riverside Dr and enters the South Bluffs neighborhood and emerges from the neighborhood, and runs along the bluff until Union Ave, where it ends at street level.  Then there's a portion of the Bluff walk that runs behind the Memphis Law school building, has a bridge that connects it to Fourth Bluff Park, where it ends.  

I think an adequate compromise would be to have an elevated walkway/path on the backside of the Brooks that has access from where the walk ends at Union, and then have a bridge across Monroe that connects to the back of the Cossitt Library, which will connect to the Walk behind the Law School.  

Just now, Nothingspectacular said:

Yet another stalled project for downtown Memphis 

I wouldn't called this stalled.  As of January, they had over $135 million of the needed $180 million to construct it.  I would call this a temporary delay.  I don't expect any legal issues to prevent the Brooks from building here.  Likely there will be a compromise by means of a change in the design.  

Edited by MDC26

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I wouldn't called this stalled.  As of January, they had over $135 million of the needed $180 million to construct it.  I would call this a temporary delay.  I don't expect any legal issues to prevent the Brooks from building here.  Likely there will be a compromise by means of a change in the design.  

Wonder why they didn’t include the walkway in the original design?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 5:13 PM, James Owen said:

An update on the redevelopment of the former Office Depot site in the Medical District, which now has a name:

Vic on Union development at former Office Depot site moves forward

By Neil Strebig, Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/30022/memphis-shelby-county-board-of-adjustment-approves-vic-on-union

vic-on-union.png.4b2b6d9585f4f7d8ab5a2bf6dddae48e.png

(Image courtesy of Steinberg Dickey Collaborative)

Drove by today and saw an “Available” sign on this property today. Guess this project fell through. The main areas of construction going on downtown are: St Jude Domino’s Village, Orleans Station, and Mobility Center nearing completion.  Home2Suites & the Oliver at 7 Vance rolling along, and Conwood at Snuff District, the Brooks Museum, and the new St Jude towers gearing up. 

41 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Drove by today and saw an “Available” sign on this property today. Guess this project fell through. The main areas of construction going on downtown are: St Jude Domino’s Village, Orleans Station, and Mobility Center nearing completion.  Home2Suites & the Oliver at 7 Vance rolling along, and Conwood at Snuff District, the Brooks Museum, and the new St Jude towers gearing up. 

Hasn’t the sign been up there all along? Can’t win them all. Perfect location for Shelby State and UTHSC students.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Hasn’t the sign been up there all along? Can’t win them all. Perfect location for Shelby State and UTHSC students.  

There was a new sign in the parking lot. According to Google maps it wasn’t there 7 months ago, but the one on the building was. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nothingspectacular said:

It’s simply outrageous to read that damages to Tom Lee Park and the riverfront totaled $1.4 million due to the BBQ cooking event at Memphis in May.   This has very bad optics for all of Memphis. 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/37290/downtown-memphis-tom-lee-park-damage-memphis-in-may

I think it was probably both from Beale St Music Festival and BBQ fest.  I doubt there was much (if any) intentional damage, but when that many people/that much equipment is being fit into a more confined space with increased infrastructure, there will be damage.  Most of it is probably trampled plants/grass, rutting up of the ground from trailers and stages.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I think it was probably both from Beale St Music Festival and BBQ fest.  I doubt there was much (if any) intentional damage, but when that many people/that much equipment is being fit into a more confined space with increased infrastructure, there will be damage.  Most of it is probably trampled plants/grass, rutting up of the ground from trailers and stages.  

They really need to build that Land bridge to connect to mud Island. Retro fit Mud Island to be the home of BSMF. Knock down a couple of buildings that are not being used to open up space and parking and use the open grass southern  end as well as a renovated amphitheater to host the event that would solve the issue. 

Edited by Memphisborn

24 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

They really need to build that Land bridge to connect to mud Island. Retro fit Mud Island to be the home of BSMF. Knock down a couple of buildings that are not being used to open up space and parking and use the open grass north end as well as a renovated amphitheater to host the event that would solve the issue. 

Sounds good, lets do it.  

4 hours ago, Nothingspectacular said:

It’s simply outrageous to read that damages to Tom Lee Park and the riverfront totaled $1.4 million due to the BBQ cooking event at Memphis in May.   This has very bad optics for all of Memphis. 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/37290/downtown-memphis-tom-lee-park-damage-memphis-in-may

What bad optics? Maybe this is a learning experience and they’ll find out what can and can’t be done going forward.  

3 hours ago, James Owen said:

An official opening date for the long-awaited (and often delayed) Aloft on BB King & Jefferson - extensive renovation/conversion of the old Tenoke Building - has been revealed. The hotel is now slated to open in late October according to the Marriott website.

Wow, I was just wondering the other day when it was going to open. Only took 5 years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Owen said:

An official opening date for the long-awaited (and often delayed) Aloft on BB King & Jefferson - extensive renovation/conversion of the old Tenoke Building - has been revealed. The hotel is now slated to open in late October according to the Marriott website.

Bout time! With all the vacant buildings being renovated, it’s only a matter of time when we’ll see new high rises being built. The demand will grow. Just need more hotels and maybe one more major amenity. Public safety will have to improve. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...