Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Hard Rock in Memphis is closing!

Hard Rock Cafe International TDLWD WARN LETTER (tn.gov)

Date Notice Posted: 2023/5/31 | Company: Hard Rock Cafe International County: Shelby | Affected Workers: 52 | Closure/Layoff Date: July 30, 2023 | Notice/Type: #202300023

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Date Notice Posted: 2023/5/31 | Company: Hard Rock Cafe International County: Shelby | Affected Workers: 52 | Closure/Layoff Date: July 30, 2023 | Notice/Type: #202300023

Bummer news! And very surprising. 

Also, worth noting, Hard Rock Cafe is closing the Denver, CO location as well--the only Hard Rock Cafe in Colorado.

I bet the pandemic must've weakened them overall, and now they are looking at their underperforming locations, perhaps? I bet another list of locations will close unfortunately, in the upcoming months.

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Adding more context to this based on what the TV stations reported this morning, Hard Rock has chosen not to renew their lease inside the old Lansky building.

https://wreg.com/news/local/memphis-hard-rock-cafe-closing-52-workers-losing-jobs/

It's the same situation with their restaurant location in Denver, which is also shuttering at the end of July.

51 minutes ago, James Owen said:

Adding more context to this based on what the TV stations reported this morning, Hard Rock has chosen not to renew their lease inside the old Lansky building.

https://wreg.com/news/local/memphis-hard-rock-cafe-closing-52-workers-losing-jobs/

It's the same situation with their restaurant location in Denver, which is also shuttering at the end of July.

Isn't this Hard Rock Cafe a franchise?  I could be hopeful and think that they didn't want to renew their lease, because they plan on having the restaurant in the new Hard Rock Hotel that has been talked about being built on Beale St.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

You’re only allowed to be the bearer of bad news once. No more! LOL. 

Hoping to see a hotel component someday. Heck, why not build a new one where the Hyatt was supposed to go or get rid of the MLGW bldg and put a resort there. The height must be lower than Peabody Place tower but definitely not two stories. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Isn't this Hard Rock Cafe a franchise?  I could be hopeful and think that they didn't want to renew their lease, because they plan on having the restaurant in the new Hard Rock Hotel that has been talked about being built on Beale St.  

Hope that would be the case.  If the hotel happens 

26 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Hope that would be the case.  If the hotel happens 

I saw this posted on Facebook:

In July 2023, the lease for Hard Rock Cafe Memphis, located at 126 Beale Street, will expire. The location will permanently close as a result. We are currently expanding operations in 50 locations within the next five years and are open to having another location within the Memphis market if the right space can be identified.

It may be that with the lease coming up, the rent is going way up to something that would make it unfeasible for them.  I think that's why they moved the first time.  It could also be that the owner isn't renewing their lease.  That could be for several reasons.  New tenant willing to pay more, Hard Rock is a bad tenant that is always late on their rent, or Lansky's is wanting to expand.  Who knows, but whatever reason, sad to see it go.  

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

I saw this posted on Facebook:

In July 2023, the lease for Hard Rock Cafe Memphis, located at 126 Beale Street, will expire. The location will permanently close as a result. We are currently expanding operations in 50 locations within the next five years and are open to having another location within the Memphis market if the right space can be identified.

It may be that with the lease coming up, the rent is going way up to something that would make it unfeasible for them.  I think that's why they moved the first time.  It could also be that the owner isn't renewing their lease.  That could be for several reasons.  New tenant willing to pay more, Hard Rock is a bad tenant that is always late on their rent, or Lansky's is wanting to expand.  Who knows, but whatever reason, sad to see it go.  

CA makes note of Hard Rock hotels separate entities from restaurants also notes they have been in discussions about a hotel. Would seem to me that they plan to have the restaurant adjacent to the hotel that’s the reason for not renewing the lease. Hopefully they will be breaking ground on a hotel soon 

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2023/06/01/hard-rock-cafe-in-memphis-closing-beale-street/70277232007/

Edited by Memphisborn

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

This isn't bad news,  HRC is looking for another location, and I believe they want a large enough structure to host larger crowds. They're not planning to leave the Memphis market. That building and interior needs updating and I bet the owner wants an increase in rent, but doesn't want to make the needed upgrades. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JTM1 said:

This isn't bad news,  HRC is looking for another location, and I believe they want a large enough structure to host larger crowds. They're not planning to leave the Memphis market. That building and interior needs updating and I bet the owner wants an increase in rent, but doesn't want to make the needed upgrades. 

My thoughts as well they  want another location.  Hotel/ restaurant space. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

My thoughts as well they  want another location.  Hotel/ restaurant space. 

Kevin Kane said, “While disappointed to lose this restaurant at the end of their lease term now, we are encouraged by Hard Rock’s statement that indicates they are open to having another location within the Memphis market, and their exploration of building a Hard Rock Hotel on Beale Street as recent as last year.”  I do wonder what brand will replace HRC at that location. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Kevin Kane said, “While disappointed to lose this restaurant at the end of their lease term now, we are encouraged by Hard Rock’s statement that indicates they are open to having another location within the Memphis market, and their exploration of building a Hard Rock Hotel on Beale Street as recent as last year.”  I do wonder what brand will replace HRC at that location. 

https://dickslastresort.com/meet-dick/
 This would be good @ that location 

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

https://dickslastresort.com/meet-dick/
 This would be good @ that location 

I was thinking more along the lines of Rock and Brews.

https://www.rockandbrews.com/

I think the House of Blues would be a good fit for that location.

We are presently hosting the British Consul General, from Atlanta, and what better way to strengthen ties than to open a British restaurant on or near Beale St. I was in London last year and I ate at a restaurant that reminded me of Lafayette’s.  I wish I could remember the name.

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/local/british-consul-general-visits-memphis-peabody-honorary-duckmaster/522-7e14dcdd-bdde-4db0-8f1e-b190a6da2495

Raglan Road is another restaurant that I believe would do well on Beale St.

I am honestly surprised that Ole Red hasn’t entered the Memphis market.

There's also going to be 11,000 sq feet of retail space in the mobility center to fill.  I think they should consider building out the North edge of Church Park with retail, because it would bring life to that area of Beale St. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Rock and Brews.

https://www.rockandbrews.com/

I think the House of Blues would be a good fit for that location.

We are presently hosting the British Consul General, from Atlanta, and what better way to strengthen ties than to open a British restaurant on or near Beale St. I was in London last year and I ate at a restaurant that reminded me of Lafayette’s.  I wish I could remember the name.

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/local/british-consul-general-visits-memphis-peabody-honorary-duckmaster/522-7e14dcdd-bdde-4db0-8f1e-b190a6da2495

Raglan Road is another restaurant that I believe would do well on Beale St.

I am honestly surprised that Ole Red hasn’t entered the Memphis market.

There's also going to be 11,000 sq feet of retail space in the mobility center to fill.  I think they should consider building out the North edge of Church Park with retail, because it would bring life to that area of Beale St. 

I second the HOB it’s been long overdue should have been one on Beale 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I second the HOB it’s been long overdue should have been one on Beale 

Yes, long overdue, but I like the idea of it on the other end of Beale St. Take over & expand the police substation. That way the have the New Daisy next door for the HOB concert hall. 

For the Hard Rock location, Margaritaville or 2nd location for Johnny Cash Bar & BBQ

• Like 1

Here’s a cool site with really good photography that just released documenting 100 N Main. They also have pictures from the Tennessee Brewery, Cossitt Library, and Ashlar Hall. The Sterick would be cool to see too. 
https://www.artofabandonment.com/2023/05/100-north-main-abandoned-skyscraper-memphis-tn/?fbclid=IwAR1besQ5M7gK-puWpPGU_xEp5hchIcV9aUmqgjQlCV42nMiQLVKorh3Yv8o

On 6/3/2023 at 5:42 PM, MDC26 said:

Yes, long overdue, but I like the idea of it on the other end of Beale St. Take over & expand the police substation. That way the have the New Daisy next door for the HOB concert hall. 

For the Hard Rock location, Margaritaville or 2nd location for Johnny Cash Bar & BBQ

A HoB with  Sunday Gospel Brunch is ready made foe the river Cruiser set. And, yea, the New Daisy and the Police station should be it.

• Like 1

Glad to see this one moving forward:

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/36608/inked-119-madison-downtown-monster-golf-cordova-busters-liquors-ridgeway-trace

The developers renovating the 106-year-old building at 119 Madison Ave. will go before the Downtown Memphis Commission’s Design Review Board on Wednesday, June 7.

Eduardo Sanchez bought the historic building in 2022 for $360,000 with plans to transform the abandoned building with commercial retail on the ground floor and short-term residential on the floors above.... the exterior renovations will restore the building’s historic masonry features and windows. Other upgrades include the restoration of the existing wood window frames as well as the glazed terra cotta tiles on the building’s north and west sides, as needed.

image.thumb.png.8ced45148339e5caf3722588cb547a00.png

Interesting design - I like it!

Regional One CEO presents vision to Shelby County leaders

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/36515/reginald-coopwood-regional-one-shelby-county-mayor-lee-harris

Regional One President and CEO Dr. Reginald Coopwood presented his vision of transforming the hospital into a renowned academic medical center to city and county leaders during a meeting at the Agricenter Thursday, June 1. 

The meeting of the Shelby County Joint Economic and Community Development Board included representatives of the county’s suburban mayoral administrations, local business chambers and entities like the Economic Development Growth Engine for Memphis and Shelby County and the Downtown Memphis Commission. 

“For many, many months, (we’ve been) working hard on trying to galvanize community support, particularly county commissioners' support, for a plan to invest in a new Regional One campus,” said Shelby County Mayor Lee Harris, who has been using social media to garner support for a transformation of Regional One Health, in introducing Coopwood. 

image.thumb.png.01e03fdcf07af08b30313851fb0c136a.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Yeah, I do too.  I'm a fan of the structural expressionism architecture.  I really like the new JP Morgan Chase building that is going up in NYC and the planned 175 Park building that both are structural expressionism.  

I'm not a fan of this (very) generic design, but it's at least provides some nice mixed-use infill:

Cycle Shop developers propose six-story Tomorrow Building concept for Edge District

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/06/07/cycle-shop-developers-tomorrow-building-edge.html

cycle.thumb.jpg.a29bbb6b6858b48960267611626f3077.jpg

With the renovation of the Edge District's Cycle Shop nearly complete, the developer is seeking to add a sizable multifamily building to its plans.

The project is seeking to amend a 20-year PILOT (payment-in-lieu-of-taxes) that already applies to the property. The Cycle Shop at 421 Monroe Ave. was included in Development Services Group's larger Wonder Bread Factory redevelopment that was granted incentives in 2017 by the Center City Revenue Finance Corp. (CCRFC), an affiliate board of the Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC).

The developers want to build a six-story, 108-unit apartment complex with ground floor retail on the vacant lot next to the Cycle Shop. The lot is already in the footprint covered by the PILOT, and the amendment request is to add the new element.

Edited by VSRJ

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I'm not a fan of this (very) generic design, but it's at least provides some nice mixed-use infill:

Cycle Shop developers propose six-story Tomorrow Building concept for Edge District

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/06/07/cycle-shop-developers-tomorrow-building-edge.html

cycle.thumb.jpg.a29bbb6b6858b48960267611626f3077.jpg

Article says six stories, but picture shows 7.  Also, really high rent prices, but includes all utilities and fully furnished. 

Infill is great, but I wish these designs were a little more imaginative.

Cerpa Construction proposes infill apartment project in the Medical District

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/06/08/cerpa-infill-apartment-project-medical-district.html

A local developer has proposed a 12-unit infill development in the Medical District and is seeking a 10-year payment-in-lieu-of-taxes (PILOT) incentive from the Center City Revenue Finance Corp. (CCRFC).

The project is being headed by Cerpa Construction LLC, a local MWBE construction firm based at 1201 Sycamore View Road. Recently, the company built the Greenfield Arena indoor soccer facility at the site of a former industrial park at 2675 Summer Ave.

Cerpa plans to spend over $2 million to turn a vacant lot at 1162 Peabody Ave. into a three-story structure with 12 market-rate apartments.

The apartments are to feature a mix of studio and one-bedroom apartments, renting for $2.20 per square foot, which is in line with local market rates. The project has plans for 13 secure parking spots behind the building, and the ground floor units will have patios screened by landscaping.

image.thumb.png.c6caae151af12d2eb3ab721567c98262.png

• Like 1

"Work on a new Downtown mixed-use project is set to get underway, and the scope of the project has significantly scaled up from its original plans.  A vacant building that currently stands at 154 GE Patterson Ave. is the former lodge of the Prince Hall Masons and is to become The DeSoto Lofts.

The DeSoto Lofts project is estimated to cost $3.2 million to renovate a historic, three-story building, per a construction permit filed with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development. Constructed around 1900, the property is to be converted into office space on the ground floor and apartments on the second and third floors.

He said that UrbanARCH plans to move the firm to DeSoto Lofts once it is complete. The firm is currently housed just down the road at 498 S. Main St. near the National Civil Rights Museum. That space totals just over 2,000 square feet. The first floor of DeSoto Lofts is 4,900 square feet and is to feature modern office amenities.

The ground floor space at DeSoto Lofts would feature an open office plan with conference rooms and employee gathering spaces, plus additional outdoor areas such as a patio, per the EIG application.  In addition to the office space, the project is set to have eight one-bedroom lofts, each totaling 900 square feet."

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/06/13/mixed-use-project-downtown-former-masonic-lodge.html

154-ge-patterson-rendering.png

Edited by JTM1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:46 AM, Memphis4ever said:

Fountains at Union Ave and the Riverside Dr.

20230611_201141.thumb.jpg.ac38e2a272462bfba13c2e8ffddf6d94.jpg

20230611_201139.thumb.jpg.8fb917522a8a6f98bd0e9dd038ab7b3e.jpg

20230611_201112.thumb.jpg.69339f27de80469ca79a9fdba5a6ddde.jpg

20230611_201306.thumb.jpg.66f7c830e33cfe342f4014d00e1b676c.jpg

20230611_201311.thumb.jpg.89c9feff8c1d7e15080535bdd51001b0.jpg

20230611_193523.thumb.jpg.a21aba5e97ee929b557064542a715ffd.jpg

20230611_193448.thumb.jpg.a291661b56b7dfaea54d9ed6014396b6.jpg

20230611_193445.jpg

It's beautiful. The riverfront is beginning to come into its form. I know the mayor want to install a Ferris Wheel over by the welcome center, but I think that area would be better served for the aquarium they proposed.  I think incorporating the Freshwater Institute in with an aquarium that's under the management of the Zoo  would be fitting. It would definitely create foot traffic. 

• Like 2