Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

On 3/22/2024 at 2:00 PM, MDC26 said:

The first trolley stop on Madison is almost 3 blocks from Main, just past the Visible Music College.  There is a stop at Main & Madison, but on the  Main St Line for the side for North bound trolleys.  There's another stop on the South bound side close to the Court St intersection.  With the way the lines cross over and locations o f the stops, I figure the Madison Line car will have to turn left onto Main St, onto the South bound track, cross over to the North bound track side, reverse direction to get to the Main/Madison stop, pickup/drop off passengers, then reverse direction back again to get back to the switchover point, change direction again to switch back to the South bound track, and turn right onto Madison.  While the switching tracks, reversing direction is going on, any Main Street Trollies going by will have to stop and wait for this to complete.  

Whatever happened to that proposed line to the airport?

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Whatever happened to that proposed line to the airport?

It got dropped in the mid 2000s after the city council decided not to move forward with those plans. It was an ambitious pitch being made by Willie Herenton at the time, but the support for a light rail system wasn't there due to cost. That and the proposed route between downtown and the airport would've gone straight along Airways Boulevard and/or Lamar Avenue through areas of the city deemed undesirable.

memphis-light-rail-map.thumb.jpg.1709b0d49e4e44519fb909058b25ac30.jpg

Edited by James Owen
Added more details
  • Like 3

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis-rock-n-soul-museum-moving-to-former-hard-rock-cafe-on-beale-street

The Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum and the Memphis Music Hall of Fame have purchased the former Hard Rock Cafe at 126 Beale Street for $5 million. It will be the new home of the Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum. And much more.

Priscilla Presley, a strong supporter of the Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum as well as the Memphis Music Hall of Fame and Beale Street, will host a press conference and then christen the building at 2 p.m. March 28th.

That’s when Doyle says they will tell the full story “about the impact that we look forward to making for students and musicians, and working with Beale Street.”

I think this is good for Beale Street. I must admit that my curiosity has increased as to what Jason Wexler and the Grizzlies have planned in the redesign of the area around FedEx Forum. 

Edited by JTM1

20 hours ago, JTM1 said:

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis-rock-n-soul-museum-moving-to-former-hard-rock-cafe-on-beale-street

The Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum and the Memphis Music Hall of Fame have purchased the former Hard Rock Cafe at 126 Beale Street for $5 million. It will be the new home of the Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum. And much more.

Priscilla Presley, a strong supporter of the Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum as well as the Memphis Music Hall of Fame and Beale Street, will host a press conference and then christen the building at 2 p.m. March 28th.

That’s when Doyle says they will tell the full story “about the impact that we look forward to making for students and musicians, and working with Beale Street.”

I think this is good for Beale Street. I must admit that my curiosity has increased as to what Jason Wexler and the Grizzlies have planned in the redesign of the area around FedEx Forum. 

That's great.  Will be right next to the Memphis Music Hall of Fame, and will be more visible than over at the FEF.  I wonder what the Grizzlies/FEF will do with the space they vacate. 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2024 at 3:39 PM, MDC26 said:

That's great.  Will be right next to the Memphis Music Hall of Fame, and will be more visible than over at the FEF.  I wonder what the Grizzlies/FEF will do with the space they vacate. 

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/music/2024/03/28/rock-n-soul-museum-memphis-music-hall-of-fame/73109881007/

John Doyle stressed being out of their present location as early as 2026, no later than 2027.  The lease at FEF isn't up until 2029. I believe we're going to see some renderings for FEF real soon. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTM1 said:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/music/2024/03/28/rock-n-soul-museum-memphis-music-hall-of-fame/73109881007/

John Doyle stressed being out of their present location as early as 2026, no later than 2027.  The lease at FEF isn't up until 2029. I believe we're going to see some renderings for FEF real soon. 

Would love ❤️ to see a larger gift shop in that space. Along with a Grizzlies museum celebrating the history and accomplishments of the franchise. Can’t wait for renderings to drop

On 3/28/2024 at 12:36 PM, TheKernel91 said:

Well....there's still life for Pinch Project ! 

Screenshot_20240328_093640_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_093720_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_093737_Facebook.jpg

My personal opinion is this district development should include several lower rise buildings, in the range of just a couple of stories, up to 5 or 6 stories. With possibly a couple of mid-rises in the range of 8-12 stories or so, maximum. 

Density would be key--with each building adjacent to the other. Include parking in a garage and eliminate any large surface parking lots. 

Walkability, vibrancy and the ability to draw in shops, restaurants, bars, residents, offices and a diverse set of uses will be what makes this district a success.

I think over-shooting to try to develop towers in the 20-40 story range is not a realistic development for Memphis, in this district.  Go lower rise to mid rise, density-focused, and the cost will be lower, and the success factor will increase, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

My personal opinion is this district development should include several lower rise buildings, in the range of just a couple of stories, up to 5 or 6 stories. With possibly a couple of mid-rises in the range of 8-12 stories or so, maximum. 

Density would be key--with each building adjacent to the other. Include parking in a garage and eliminate any large surface parking lots. 

Walkability, vibrancy and the ability to draw in shops, restaurants, bars, residents, offices and a diverse set of uses will be what makes this district a success.

I think over-shooting to try to develop towers in the 20-40 story range is not a realistic development for Memphis, in this district.  Go lower rise to mid rise, density-focused, and the cost will be lower, and the success factor will increase, I think.

I agree. If you try to go too big, there’s not enough funding and nothing happens. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

True. The density will look good from the ground still. Hell, maybe just 1 tall structure and tv rest midrises. It'll look good. Im just ready for us to finally get something tall off the ground downtown.

• Like 1

Ribbon cutting for Baptist College of Osteopathic Medicine will be April 6th.  Students will start in August.  Up to 81 students per class.  That could be 324 new medical students in the medical district in a few years.  Their mascot is the Blue Healers.

https://www.actionnews5.com/2024/03/25/baptist-college-osteopathic-medicine-open-memphis/

Baptist Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 1:00 PM, MDC26 said:

The first trolley stop on Madison is almost 3 blocks from Main, just past the Visible Music College.  There is a stop at Main & Madison, but on the  Main St Line for the side for North bound trolleys.  There's another stop on the South bound side close to the Court St intersection.  With the way the lines cross over and locations o f the stops, I figure the Madison Line car will have to turn left onto Main St, onto the South bound track, cross over to the North bound track side, reverse direction to get to the Main/Madison stop, pickup/drop off passengers, then reverse direction back again to get back to the switchover point, change direction again to switch back to the South bound track, and turn right onto Madison.  While the switching tracks, reversing direction is going on, any Main Street Trollies going by will have to stop and wait for this to complete.  

Seems like a lot of waiting could be had. There isn’t a stop further north on Madison, near Front? Maybe it could reverse easily there. 

On 3/31/2024 at 9:26 AM, TheKernel91 said:

True. The density will look good from the ground still. Hell, maybe just 1 tall structure and tv rest midrises. It'll look good. Im just ready for us to finally get something tall off the ground downtown.

I agree with these realistic approaches. Maybe it would take another developer to tackle the properties. Don’t have to have 3 huge developments at once - maybe just one high rise at a time.  There must be a way to think outside the box rather than settling for low rises. Seems like there should be demand for St. Jude employees, visitors, plus convention center visitors. Intrator waited too long on this. The Pinch is the perfect destination and could hopefully be a second entertainment area for those groups since Beale is far away. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Seems like a lot of waiting could be had. There isn’t a stop further north on Madison, near Front? Maybe it could reverse easily there. 

No, no stop further (West) on Madison, closer to Main St (Trolley line doesn't go to Front).  Between  2nd and Main, the two tracks merge to one, and the middle lane on Madison.  It could easily just stop there and reverse, but any passengers getting on/off the trolley would have to cross a lane of traffic, and there'd be no disability access, so that would not work.  

On 2/7/2024 at 8:56 PM, MDC26 said:

Details on Holiday Inn Express at Dermon building. Also, Ballard & Ballard building getting exterior upgrades. 

• a basement level: mechanical systems, staff areas, a fitness center, and a meeting and business center,
  • the ground floor: reception, dining area, kitchen, management offices, lounge and express market, meeting room and 1,500 square feet of leasable space,
  • levels 2-9: one and two-bed hotel units,
  • the rooftop: a common area overlooking the Mississippi River and Tom Lee Park.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/businessreal-estate/article/41709/dermon-ballard-ballard-co-building-designs-approved

434D64C8-1AEE-4DA9-8A57-8D23A57CAAF4.jpeg

I doubt if this building has any view of the river much less Tom Lee Park. Did the owner really make that statement?

17 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

I doubt if this building has any view of the river much less Tom Lee Park. Did the owner really make that statement?

When pulling up google earth, it looks like they can get a tiny glimpse of the river from the roof, but nowhere close to seeing Tom Lee Park.