Soleil Center I & II at Crabtree

durham_rtp

There isn't going to be too much demolition. I believe the whole structure that is there will remain and become a part of the whole project.

It turned out to be a lot more of a dump than previous estimates put forth, so they now have to pay to tear it down and build a new one. One of the reasons the project has condos.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive by there every workday on Edwards Mill/Creedmore and I usually take a peak over at the Glentree. Not much has changed over there. No real signs of demolition.

JB

During my drive by yesterday I noticed a couple of things. First, it is staying brighter outside a little later each evening, which is great for many reasons including looking over at the SC.

When I looked over yesterday I noticed about 10 or so rooms which had the facade or outside wall removed. There did not seem to be any pattern in which it was done. A few removed on the top floor, a few here and there, but maybe this is the beginning of the demolition.

JB

I drive by there every workday on Edwards Mill/Creedmore and I usually take a peak over at the Glentree. Not much has changed over there. No real signs of demolition.

JB

I noticed yesterday that about 10 rooms or so have the front facade or exterior wall removed. There did not seem to be any obvious pattern to this (a few removed from the top floor, a bunch on the southwest corner, etc). Perhaps this is the beginning of the demolition.

JB

RE: owning Hotel Eurpoa, the N&O did a story on them shortly after the project was approved by city council:

Skyscraper is tycoons' ode to Raleigh

"They offered to sponsor Councilwoman Joyce Kekas' campaign kickoff -- she declined, and they agreed it would be wise on second thought -- but otherwise the developers stayed out of local races."

"Mundra is still an investor in the Hotel Europa on Capital Boulevard, which has had a woeful history. It stood empty for four years, got damaged in a fire, and it has endured through multiple owners and names. Now a "No Trespassing" sign stands in the parking lot. "I don't run the day-to-day operations," Mundra said, adding it is soon to be sold."

Some windows have been removed, but most upper story windows are still broken.

Other stories on the project:

http://www.newsobserver.com/167/story/352636.html before city council considered the project.

http://www.newsobserver.com/928/story/355872.html city council approval. Plans to demolish "within 60 days if the permits come through."

So a) permits didn't come through on a project that was passed 7-1 by council or b) promises are made to be broken. When the "construction costs have forced us to change the project" comments start to come out, will council have to reexamine this? Probably not.

It's probably a permit issue or financing issue. Permits would need to be issued by the state and FEMA, since it's in a floodplain. Financing may not be complete if sales are slow on the condos. I was at the meeting the council voted on the tower and Meeker amended the motion to approve it with the continency that the project would come before council if there were any major changes in design.

It turned out to be a lot more of a dump than previous estimates put forth, so they now have to pay to tear it down and build a new one. One of the reasons the project has condos.

I'm sure they aren't happy about having to spend more money on this project. I've heard this group is very thrifty and moves fast. If they have to tear that down and rebuild I would assume there will be some scaling back of the original plans.

Also, if this is the group behind Hotel Europa (not a good sign) this project just got a bit shady. There is still a bad taste in my mouth with this whole project anyways, but now I've got a really bad one.

If they have to tear that down and rebuild I would assume there will be some scaling back of the original plans.

No worries--the teardown was part of the plans after they realized the old structure was "totaled" beyond repair. As far as I know he plans are still for a 42 story tower to be built this spring. We'll see what happens.

No worries--the teardown was part of the plans after they realized the old structure was "totaled" beyond repair. As far as I know he plans are still for a 42 story tower to be built this spring. We'll see what happens.

How long will it take to knock down, and remove the current sturctures? Judging by the pace of things, that alone might take 6 months.

No worries--the teardown was part of the plans after they realized the old structure was "totaled" beyond repair
Indeed the original plan was to rehab the current structure as a 4 star Westin by knocking out interior walls and converting every three rooms to two. No condos or extra structure at all. When it was determined that the structure was unsuitable for this they came back with the current proposal, which always involved the demolition of the old Sheraton..

Also, if this is the group behind Hotel Europa (not a good sign) this project just got a bit shady.

I don't think the Soliel group is involved with the Hotel Europa, but Mundra (one of the partners) is a silent investor (no day to day operations, but he can recoup his investment if it were sold)

I have a friend whose husband was involved with the group in another hotel development. She was less than complementary of them (that

I would like to know when this thing is slated to be imploded. That would actually be a legit explosion vs. Convention Center.

It seems like this was fast to get pushed through that the construction process would've started by now. I figured the city wouldn't want that empty structure sitting there rotting that they would force them to move ahead ASAP with this project.

I would like to know when this thing is slated to be imploded. That would actually be a legit explosion vs. Convention Center.

It seems like this was fast to get pushed through that the construction process would've started by now. I figured the city wouldn't want that empty structure sitting there rotting that they would force them to move ahead ASAP with this project.

I thought the same thing. I think someone on this forum had a contact to the Soleil group. It would be interesting to hear an update.

• 1 month later...

I thought demolishion was already supposed to begin. The only demolishion going on is by vandals. I hate to drive by there and look at it. Such an eyesore in a prominent location.

I noticed on Friday that there was some demolition going on at the back of the building. A decent size pile of ruble was there along with dump trucks.

JB

Does anyone think that Soleil Center will have an impact on what retail will come to Crabtree? Will it also contain retail like boutiques, and not just restaurants? It would be kind of cool to move across a bridge-like structure to continue shopping.

Archived