Soleil Center I & II at Crabtree

durham_rtp

Does anyone think that Soleil Center will have an impact on what retail will come to Crabtree? Will it also contain retail like boutiques, and not just restaurants? It would be kind of cool to move across a bridge-like structure to continue shopping.

I don't think so, but the Galleria behind Crabtree is supposed to have retail.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think so, but the Galleria behind Crabtree is supposed to have retail.
Speaking of the Galleria,what's the deal on this project they are moving like snells, does anybody have any information on this project,at one point it was the talk of the town. :(

Speaking of the Galleria,what's the deal on this project they are moving like snells, does anybody have any information on this project,at one point it was the talk of the town. :(

I heard that the plan is still a go, but they have gone back to the drawing board with some of the plans. I'm eager to see this project move forward soon too.

As far as a pedestrian bridge over Edwards Mill...I haven't heard anything.

It will never happen, since plans are already in action, but they could:

- build a new Hechts/Macys into the parking lot that fronts Sears and Hechts (SE corner of Glenwood and Creedmoor).

- convert the existing Hechts into more mall, or a lifestyle center on the second floore and mall on the first.

- build a bridge across edwards mill into the parking deck, making entrances to this new area the bridge and the existing Hecths entrances that face the deck, and the new Macys/Hechts.

This would add needed parking for the holiday season, and could be an "exclusive" area leading to the Westin but still part of crabtree, or the first floor could be part of the mall or a movie theater and the second floor could be an outdoor lifestyle center. There could also be a pedestrian bridge across Crabtree Creek to connect to the Galleria.

It would give some needed cohesion to the area, and seperates pedestrian and automobile traffic.

It will never happen, since plans are already in action, but they could:

- build a new Hechts/Macys into the parking lot that fronts Sears and Hechts (SE corner of Glenwood and Creedmoor).

- convert the existing Hechts into more mall, or a lifestyle center on the second floore and mall on the first.

- build a bridge across edwards mill into the parking deck, making entrances to this new area the bridge and the existing Hecths entrances that face the deck, and the new Macys/Hechts.

This would add needed parking for the holiday season, and could be an "exclusive" area leading to the Westin but still part of crabtree, or the first floor could be part of the mall or a movie theater and the second floor could be an outdoor lifestyle center. There could also be a pedestrian bridge across Crabtree Creek to connect to the Galleria.

It would give some needed cohesion to the area, and seperates pedestrian and automobile traffic.

That would make too much sense.

• 2 weeks later...

there is a huge ad in the NandO for the soleil center... I like the part where it says 'Rising 43 stories above the earth...' instead of 'Rising 43 stories above Crabtree Valley Mall...' haha.

there is a huge ad in the NandO for the soleil center... I like the part where it says 'Rising 43 stories above the earth...' instead of 'Rising 43 stories above Crabtree Valley Mall...' haha.

You can WALK TO THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY!

::barf::

Seriously, I think putting what looks like a phenomenal building at Crabtree is just about the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you ask me, the kind of person who wants to pay that much for a luxary condo wants to be next to unique shops and restaurants. Downtown has so much to offer, I just can't grasp what they were thinking.

Hope they make it flood proof. :o

You can WALK TO THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY!

::barf::

Seriously, I think putting what looks like a phenomenal building at Crabtree is just about the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you ask me, the kind of person who wants to pay that much for a luxary condo wants to be next to unique shops and restaurants. Downtown has so much to offer, I just can't grasp what they were thinking.

Hope they make it flood proof. :o

Have you seen the "downtown" that has arisen around Lenox Square in Atlanta lately?

The Cheesecake Factory is pretty good, especially the chicken torilla wraps. The key here is that you can walk home from teh CF, which we all need because their proportions are HUGE!!

I see that there are still a lot of people that are still upset with this project. It is going to be built. We should all get behind the project and hope that more will follow so it does not sit out there by it lonesome self.

I love the project! Something I've learned is that people are over-opinionated here in Raleigh. I think if there was more to do in this town, people wouldn't make such a fuss over every little thing. Usually the people who have lives, who are for, but aren't that concerned about, and bent out of shape over unique projects, are just too busy. I guess that's why we don't make our voice known, because we have more to be concerned with in our lives.

Sears would retain the lower entrance through the automotive center (which gets plenty of use) and the entrance through the optical center/tax office/portrait studio/customer pick up/etc that exists. There could be a service alley between sears and the new structure.

The parking deck east of Hudson Belk is a year or two old, but that could come down. The L&T has not turned 10 yet, but it is getting rennovated, so I don't see why Hechs should be immune.

Soleil I think more than anything is a catalyst type project. It happens to coincide great with big things at Crabtree Valley mall and the surrounding area with more Shops, eateries and tons of residences. Imagine Soleil/Hyatt finishing construction and right about the same time the mall really gets it's act together and reclaims it's identity as the upscale destination in the triangle perhaps luring Neiman Marcus, Tiffany, Mortons Steakhouse, Joseph Beths books and more highend stores i.e. Southpark. (Because right now it's pretty much a toss up between Crabtree, Southpoint, and Triangle as far as exclusivity w/ Crabtree having a slight edge.) The old Toys R' US will be reworked to include an outdoor village type concept. And Kidds Hill will be nearing completion. This whole area will benefit, in my opinion from Soleil. :)

Sears would retain the lower entrance through the automotive center (which gets plenty of use) and the entrance through the optical center/tax office/portrait studio/customer pick up/etc that exists. There could be a service alley between sears and the new structure.

The parking deck east of Hudson Belk is a year or two old, but that could come down. The L&T has not turned 10 yet, but it is getting rennovated, so I don't see why Hechs should be immune.

Nah. Ain't gonna work. Sears would never agree to having its primary exterior entrance blocked by Macy's and Macy's doesn't need a new store yet. Besides, there would be no parking along Macy's perimter unless the store was three levels and had a smaller footprint, which is less likely than them rebuilding.

Lord & Taylor wouldn't be scheduled for a renovation if it were still open, but of couse it isn't anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the project! Something I've learned is that people are over-opinionated here in Raleigh. I think if there was more to do in this town, people wouldn't make such a fuss over every little thing. Usually the people who have lives, who are for, but aren't that concerned about, and bent out of shape over unique projects, are just too busy. I guess that's why we don't make our voice known, because we have more to be concerned with in our lives.

You have to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and ask yourself...."Am I really just a Nimby ? " :shok:

Archived