Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

But Carytown lacks the chains (the same types of chains that abandoned downtown) that you want on Broad... Thats not to say I don't want chains on Broad, but I'd prefer a cool mix of things as well. Carytown thrives in spite of the new successful malls in town particularly because it is unique and more entreprenurial. If you're goal for Broad is a strip of chains, then Carytown's success is not a factor today.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't consider our department stores "chains" and if you look at old pictures of Broad, it had tons of hometown businesses. I'm not saying turn E or W Broad downtown into a suburban strip, but to say, "let's turn it into Carytown" is an insult to the entire region. To me Carytown is another example of white flight from downtown. Its sucess is the same as what made everything in the west end a sucess.

So you're saying we could never have another such store? It's better to have a collection of little odds and ends stores? Well fine, have it, I'll go to a real city's downtown.

Thalhimer and M&R not chains? They had stores all over Virginia and into the Carolinas. I'd call that "mega" chains.

And Cam, "those people" who you from time to time put down with such venom, make up a good part of the population immediately south of Carytown. And to equate Brookland Park Boulevard and Hull Street to Carytown is a bit premature. Certainly not un-doable, but they could use a little investment help from their friends.

By your reasoning there is no need to do anything more for Broad Street than put in a locally owned department store, a Circuit City, renew the leases of present tenants and get rid of anything relating to art.

I didn't say all of that.

The companies themselves may have been chains, but they were OURS, HOMEGROWN, and that is what you all are championing. Let some other locality deal with the offspring as mega chains, we had the home base fronting Broad. I'm not arguing all that needs to be done is get local places there, that's what you're hammering into the wall. Which is fine, but my Broad St will be for the region not a neighborhood. My point about Brookland Park and Hull are they are strips of commercial buildings that existed at one time the same as Carytown... but somehow Carytown became a posterchild for retail in the city while the others died. They're all neighborhood commercial strips. I think Fulton had one too before it was wiped off the face of the earth. The only difference is who were their neighbors. And so now, it's the model for every commercial development in the city including our crown jewel.

"Those other people" come from Windsor Farms, Westhampton, and the Fan. They've kept Carytown afloat and helped create it. Don't deny that. They flew from downtown as if they were rats from a fire. The people from Sydney/Randolph had no hand in it.

Valiant, but not the point. It doesn't have to be chains, just big business... department stores... book stores... dollar stores... electronic stores... music stores... ice cream shops... and lollipops and places for families to spend time. When did I ever say put a Wal-Mart or Dicks downtown? It's about homegrown business of which our old stores and Circuit City are despite having other stores that generate a lot more activity than a shop that specializes in looking chic with nouveau beatniks hanging about. We need more than making downtown into Carytown which should not even be considered a model for such a place.

Valiant, but not the point. It doesn't have to be chains, just big business... department stores... book stores... dollar stores... electronic stores... music stores... ice cream shops... and lollipops and places for families to spend time. When did I ever say put a Wal-Mart or Dicks downtown? It's about homegrown business of which our old stores and Circuit City are despite having other stores that generate a lot more activity than a shop that specializes in looking chic with nouveau beatniks hanging about. We need more than making downtown into Carytown which should not even be considered a model for such a place.

We can ask for what ever we want, but demand will dictate. It is unfortunate under some circumstances, but rather than ignoring it, learn to work with and make it the best for both parties.

We can ask for what ever we want, but demand will dictate. It is unfortunate under some circumstances, but rather than ignoring it, learn to work with and make it the best for both parties.

Why do I feel that there won't be a demand for anything big downtown?

Joey, you can still bring families without whatever you mentioned.

There were rumors that ESPNZone was going to come to the space the Blackfinn now occupies. I agree, though, that a destination dining establishment for families would really help create a critical mass.

With Richmond's lack of Major League sports, ESPNZone doesn't seem a likely fit.

The entertainment place with "Buster" in its name would attract families with kids. Or, possibly based on the success of BLACKFINN, Hard Rock Cafe may give the area a good look. Either one would be a good fit for the Power Plant at ROTJ since apparently Blanc Bleu is not moving forward.

There are other vacant ground level spaces there, too.

Keep us posted, jb.

According to their website, there are only 8 ESPNZone's:

Anaheim

Atlanta

Baltimore

Chicago

Denver

Las Vegas

New York

D.C.

I'm surprised there aren't more. I think a sports-themed restaurant down at the Power Plant might cannibalize Blackfinn a bit too much. I think a great seafood destination restaurant there (using the semi-covered area for lots of outdoor seating) would be a big draw. As close as we are to the Ocean, Richmond really doesn't have any signature seafood restaurants that immediately come to mind.

Jillians is another good suggestion. Similar to Dave and Busters. We all know where it needs to go... 6th Street Savories.

I suppose all this discussion should be in Dining Out Scene thread, but re: Jillians, the one at Waterside in Norfolk looked pretty crummy to me, at least when I walked in around noon one day.

Still waiting to hear what plans, if any, Jemal has for Broad.

Jillians is another good suggestion. Similar to Dave and Busters. We all know where it needs to go... 6th Street Savories.

Most of the Dave and Busters that I've been to have all been in the suburbs. I would think if it would go anywhere it would be Short Pump. People here seem to think businesses should come to "save downtown"? Why take that risk when you have a sure thing at Short Pump?

Most of the Dave and Busters that I've been to have all been in the suburbs. I would think if it would go anywhere it would be Short Pump. People here seem to think businesses should come to "save downtown"? Why take that risk when you have a sure thing at Short Pump?

Partly true however for the right businesses, downtown is becoming a sure thing. It just depends on where in the curve they want to fit. Do they want to be the pioneers, middle-of the pack, or just a little too late? Personally I'm not a big fan of the chain restaurants will save downtown theory but I suppose if they are going to go anywhere it should be W Broad around VCU where chains have already popped up. Personally I'd like to see the vast majority of downtown keep its character.

You don't know what you just did...

So downtown should have nothing?

I think a Dave and Buster's would do very well in the proposed sports/entertainment complex around the Diamond. That is precisely the crowd they like to draw from and it would have better accessibility than a downtown location.

I think a Dave and Buster's would do very well in the proposed sports/entertainment complex around the Diamond. That is precisely the crowd they like to draw from and it would have better accessibility than a downtown location.

jb, like lkea, Dave & Busters likes the big metros. Judging from your list above, nowhere in Central Virginia would be a likely site.

But, IF -- your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Archived