Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

Neither are very accurate, the switch move out of the pocket track at CTC will always be slow and the other one is an unpowered clearance test. News 14 has a video of the streetcar more at track speed, although brief, towards the end of the report.

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2015/04/1/cats-begins-testing-lynx-gold-line-street-cars.html

I drove down Elizabeth Ave last Friday and noticed just how severely lacking the parallel parking skills of folks in Charlotte really are. Half the cars were parked against traffic and almost all of them were over the white line.

It would be my recommendation that these few spaces are flipped to sidewalk cafe, grass, or other useable space and removed from automobile storage. The area already has plenty of surface lots, parking lots, and more that can meet the demands of the retail spaces currently existing. Car storage right in front of someone's shop is not going to bring them as much business as they think - and they will surely lose a customer after their car gets towed or a huge fine for blocking the streetcar tracks.

I say remove the potential conflict and convert the space before service starts.

I'm sure people will learn their lesson after a few trips to the tow lot.

That's the issue - If someone parks there and gets towed vows to never park there again, there will be another person who can't properly park in the space who will then get towed. Better to remove the conflict all together.

Not to mention the bad press for the street car and the likely major delays. If the car is parked there and it takes a tow truck 30 minutes to get to the location, that's 30 minutes a streetcar cannot go up and down the route.

I'm sure people will learn their lesson after a few trips to the tow lot.

I have little doubt we will be hearing all about the delays of the streetcar caused by parallel parked cars jutting out into the path of the tram. It's such a tight squeeze, if you're parked RIGHT, there is about the width of 3 feet, if that.

I hope we've got tow trucks ready to roll to get this remedied quickly.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy SOB, a lot of people here need a crash course in how to parallel park and this just might be the right teacher for them. When I first moved here I was amazed at how many cars were left feet (instead of inches) away from the curb. Is parallel parking such a new and rare thing here that people honestly don't know how to do it properly?

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy SOB, a lot of people here need a crash course in how to parallel park and this just might be the right teacher for them. When I first moved here I was amazed at how many cars were left feet (instead of inches) away from the curb. Is parallel parking such a new and rare thing here that people honestly don't know how to do it properly?

It is probably at the bottom of the list for police when it comes to keeping the citizenry safe. It isn't something that I look for in other cities or have ever noticed in my frequent travels, but since 80 percent of the drivers here are not from here, I assume that they bring their bad habits with them from 'there.'   Nevertheless, I agree that a few dents and/or scratches  might cause drivers to learn how to park.

Edited by caterpillar2

^ The 9 year old boy in me simply wishes that the Streetcar will always run at full speed (action movie style) regardless of how many cars are parked over the white line.

The warning signs are clearly posted, let people learn the hard way.

Edited by kermit

Sadly, parallel parking isn't a required skill on the NC DMV driving test unlike a few other states, I didn't learn how to until I was in college.