Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

This news is filtering over the internet. Here is a link to an article. Our government leaders should be complimented......a comment from the article says:

"Cytec's history in Greenville County-combined with the unflagging support and enthusiasm of the local, county, state and federal organizations involved in this project-significantly influenced our decision to invest here."

http://digital50.com/news/items/BW/2001/07...on-project.html

This news is filtering over the internet. Here is a link to an article. Our government leaders should be complimented......a comment from the article says:

"Cytec's history in Greenville County-combined with the unflagging support and enthusiasm of the local, county, state and federal organizations involved in this project-significantly influenced our decision to invest here."

http://digital50.com/news/items/BW/2001/07...on-project.html

Now The Greenville News has latched onto the story as well. Given the timing, I can't help but wonder if someone there reads this forum...

Any idea on the pay?

That will probably come out in the announcement tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it won't be typical hourly worker wages. Should be fairly healthy salaries.

What's great about this, is they will be manufacturing the key component that goes into new generation aircraft bodies (which are made of composites, not metal). With the Vought-Alenia / Boeing set-up in Charleston and Lockheed in Greenville, this helps the "aerospace cluster". Both Boeing and Airbus have gone to new generation composite materials for their aircraft. This is pretty great news as we are getting a large expansion of a highly specialized, high tech industry. :thumbsup:

Now The Greenville News has latched onto the story as well. Given the timing, I can't help but wonder if someone there reads this forum...

G-man posted the news in the Greenvilleonline forum BEFORE the paper posted the story ... I bet he was their tip :thumbsup:

(Now g-man, don't let this go to head and get all cocky on us ... I mean MORE cocky :rolleyes: )

Edited by crescentmoon

Would these qualify as professional jobs, or are they blue collar factory jobs? I used to be an investor in Cytec. It is a very good company.

We should hear a salary range tomorrow when the governor and the county make the announcement official. From everything I hear, a large percentage of these new jobs are well paying. I get the feeling from everything I'm hearing that there may be research/new product introduction involved in the next few years. Seems like Cytec is positioning this facility to be on the front of carbon fiber technology. From everything I hear, this facility could continue to grow. With these additions, the employment will be in the 450 to 500 range and I think the plan is to continue to build up the facility. Funny, when BMW moved in, they only promised 400 jobs and now have almost 5,000. What I like about this company and the industry is the technology involved and the cutting edge use of carbon fiber. Additionally, in researching the company, Cytec seems very successful......good returns on investment. Were you a winner as an investor? The company seems pro-gowth.

Cytec obviously likes the Greenville area as well, as they have been adding jobs in small numbers the last year, prior to this large announcment. Always a plus when a company is positive on the city it's facility is in. :thumbsup:

Interesting paragragh from an article I just found on carbon fiber..........

"Zoltek manufactures carbon fiber, a new age material that is simultaneously light-weight and 100 times stronger than steel. Right now, the carbon fiber Zoltek produces is principally being used to build propellers for wind farms, and they control 85% of the market for aircraft brakes. BMW has begun experimenting with car parts made of Zoltek

Interesting paragragh from an article I just found on carbon fiber..........

"Zoltek manufactures carbon fiber, a new age material that is simultaneously light-weight and 100 times stronger than steel. Right now, the carbon fiber Zoltek produces is principally being used to build propellers for wind farms, and they control 85% of the market for aircraft brakes. BMW has begun experimenting with car parts made of Zoltek

It seems so fitting that this announcement has come on the same day that Vardry Ramseur, director of Donaldson Industrial Air Park, was buried. His spirit hung highly in the air at the announcement, and I know that nothing would have made him happier than something great like this happening on such a somber day.

According to WYFF, we should hear more announcements of expansions coming to companies located at the Donaldson Center in the coming weeks. :thumbsup:

Great news! Keeping fingers crossed.

Indeed. Cytec was one of the few investments I had that weathered the tech bust and subsequent recession. The global commodity bull market has put some wind in there sails. It's a good time to be in this business.

Thanks wheatie!

• 2 weeks later...