Pete Hollis Gateway

RestedTraveler

Demolition work has started on the vacant lot opposite the McDonalds.  I believe that is to be a Quiktrip Gas Station.  That will be a good add to the area.  

There is also work going on in the old Labor Finders building on the other side of McDonalds.  There is a sign up there sayong "The Edge" fitness center.

Good to see some happenings on this side of town.

Demolition work has started on the vacant lot opposite the McDonalds.  I believe that is to be a Quiktrip Gas Station.  That will be a good add to the area.  

There is also work going on in the old Labor Finders building on the other side of McDonalds.  There is a sign up there sayong "The Edge" fitness center.

Good to see some happenings on this side of town.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gateway Gardens project was approved by the planning commission according to the Gville News. Apparently the tax credits were approved for this project, as it seems to be proceeding. Rents range from $400-550 a month. I hope the tenants will be well-screened. That will make or break this as either a positive or a negative. I think the company that will manage it has a good record though, so hopefully, it will be positive.

• 3 months later...

It appears construction is finally starting on the Quick Trip convenience store across from McDonalds' on Rutherford.

Also, the owner of Spinx has bought the Gene's Restaurant location. I hope he isn't planning a Convenience store there. Does anyone know if he builds/invests in other projects? Spinx also has a rezoning request for the parcel next to there currect location at Laurens and Washington.

• 2 months later...

Is this going up on Pete Hollis next to the current Hincappie building? Or is the left side building the current building.

I love it. Will be nice to see something like this go in there.

Edit: Judging by name on the picture and Greenville GIS, this is at the corner of Pete Hollis and Echols (47 Pete Hollis) and does incorporate the existing Hincappie Building.

Edited by vicupstate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to a local source close to Hincapie, the mixed-use development will include additional available retail space (I didn't want to use the term "strip mall," though that is how it was described to me) as well as a small (boutique?) hotel catering to cycling enthusiasts.

All of that is suppose to be fitting into the space in the rendering, or this is all additional?

Sounds cool. GvilleSC beat me to the punch with his question. Any idea when the project will start? I love this project and hope it would encourage the folks at Sphinx to do something similiar with their land (which is caddy-corner from Hincappie's property).

Edited by vicupstate

I have no further information, but I assumed the description referred to what is shown in the rendering.

I don't see anything in the rendering resembling a '"strip mall." The building on the left is the current Hincapie HQ, the portion to the right of the circular structure resembles a small, 2-story hotel.

I don't see anything in the rendering resembling a '"strip mall."  The building on the left is the current Hincapie HQ, the portion to the right of the circular structure resembles a small, 2-story hotel.

My contact conveyed impressions gained from a casual, impromptu conversation, so allowances must be made for possibilities of mishearing, misinterpreting... Ever play that parlor game called "rumors"?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spinx denied by the city in a 4-3 vote. Knox White likes the idea but would rather see it built elsewhere in the city: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/City-decides-fate-of-downtown-Spinx/-/9654794/16555654/-/2dxjpnz/-/index.html Suprised to see this create so much controversy unlike QT in the same general area. In my opinion, Stewart Spinks went out of his way to please the local citizens while QT didn't.

Edited by citylife

Spinx denied by the city in a 4-3 vote. Knox White likes the idea but would rather see it built elsewhere in the city: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/City-decides-fate-of-downtown-Spinx/-/9654794/16555654/-/2dxjpnz/-/index.html Suprised to see this create so much controversy unlike QT in the same general area. In my opinion, Stewart Spinks went out of his way to please the local citizens while QT didn't.

I'm glad to see the city have some backbone! I was neither for nor against this project. However: The biggest difference between this and QT is the location and probably the zoning. This piece is essentially IN a historic neighborhood, and I'm not sure I buy their dressed up gas-station-as-a-market idea.

I'm surprised by the reversal, as that is rather rare. However, the Viola neighborhood was in SUPPORT of QT, because of the jobs and the convenience. The James St. and Earle St. areas were opposed.

Hampton-Pinckney was split but mostly against Spinx. Part of that was there was no assurance that the designs shown would actually be built.

Spinx should try to rezone the entire parcel C-4 or PUD, that way the design would have to be approved, and so would any future changes

Edited by vicupstate

Local restaurant owners are missing a gold mine. Buy Gene's and reopen it as a HYPER-Southern breakfast place. There is nothing like that downtown. Play up the old 50's interior.....have wait staff wear uniforms and call people "honey".......serve very unhealthy, hugely baked biscuits and southern fare.......camp it up! Beehive's on the waitresses.....the works. Think out of the box!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also, the little abandoned building (wasn't it Hair Hut or something?) next to QuickTrip appears to be getting new life. It's been painted grey and looks like work is being done inside too. Any ideas what it will be used for? I've always thought that little building had some great potential!

• 1 month later...

Looks like something is starting on that vacant piece of land that was slated for Apartments. Track Hoe on site today along with a porta a john annd there is a building permit box up.  It'll be good to see this piece of property developed.  I wonder if its the planned apartments or something else.