ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing in the past week about revived projects based on financing (no BS) and new retailers sniffing for spots. can't say anything yet, but if some of these pan out, it will be good for downtown. I was surprised, I should say; pleasantly so.

The CNL III proposal is disappointing. It's like the fat, clumsy sibling of I and II. This building will not be a part of the City Commons area; it could stand a bit of variation. Throw in some of the common elements of the other buildings like vertical columns and cornices but otherwise give it an identity of it's own.

The FUMCO proposal looks promising--I'd like to see more renderings.

Downtown Confidential - Events and New Businesses

Also a press release from the Downtown Development Board:

Orlando Farmers Market Launches New Look

On Sunday, October 19, the City of Orlando 's Downtown Development Board and Red Top Productions will showcase the new look and direction of the Orlando Farmers Market (OFM) located at Lake Eola Park in the South Eola District in Downtown Orlando. The Orlando Farmers Market, opens every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., is Central Florida's largest weekly market with more than 75 vendor booths that include an enticing array of offerings for visitors of all ages such as: fresh produce, flowers, plants, fresh orange juice, breads, cheeses, baked goods, natural soaps, ethnic and gourmet food, organic products, original jewelry, dog goodies, seasonal wares, pottery and a large variety of art.

The new direction of the Orlando Farmers Market offers visitors a truly relaxed shopping experience found in a small town community or quaint European outdoor market. Visitors are encouraged to bring their dog, enjoy being outdoors and listen to great live music every Sunday afternoon. “Our newest Market feature offers visitors an outdoor beer and wine garden serving organic wines and micro brewed beers from noon to 4:00 p.m. in the center of the Market,” states Dana Brown, new OFM Manager and owner of Red Top Productions.

New community partnerships include: Live music from local favorite Joseph Martens; Art Farm sponsored by City Arts Factory every third Sunday of month featuring work by a colony of local artists; weekly Student Art Fair from the Orange County Schools showing student art from grades K- 12th; Quarterly special events to include programs by Florida Citrus Sports, such as their sponsored Sports Fair which will bring Daytona International Speedway, ESPN, Disney WideWorld of Sports, UCF and the Orlando Magic.

This is a free event and is the perfect way to spend an afternoon with friends, family and dogs adjacent to one of the City's largest playgrounds and located within beautiful Lake Eola Park

trendy name... so long as they build the darn thing, they can call it "Cabrini Green II" as far as I'm concerned.

That's funny JRS! Cabrini Green South. Although I don't think you would run into the same branding issues as back in Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode my bike by the GAI building yesterday. Its almost all gone. I'd assume they'd start building as soon as the site is clear. I'm not sure how much those GAI guys like renting space when they can have their own building.

wow. didn't realize demo had already started. very encouraged to hear that.

so, so far downtown:

1. Firehouse-- demo complete; sitework

2. GAI-- demo almost done

3. Events Center-- U/C

4. OUC-- recently opened

5. 55W-- for all intents and purposes, it's done.

wow. didn't realize demo had already started. very encouraged to hear that.

so, so far downtown:

1. Firehouse-- demo complete; sitework

2. GAI-- demo almost done

3. Events Center-- U/C

I think these, plus any ramps on I-4/408 are the construction projects underway at the moment downtown.

The Vue condominium filed suit Oct. 15 against Highwoods DLF Eola LLC, a subsidiary of Raleigh, N.C.-based Highwoods Properties Inc., seeking to block a mixed-use condo tower from being built across the street on the southeast corner of Rosalind Avenue and East Robinson Street. Although final site plans are still being worked out by Highwoods, the project, originally slated to be 42 stories tall, would tower over The Vue, a 36-story, 375-unit condo tower at 150 E. Robinson St., essentially blocking its residents

That was part of the arguement for allowing the height. The MPB only denied it, saying it was just too tall. The comparable on building on the southeast corner of the lake, the W, was seen as they would have to give the same height... There was a lengthy fight with an administrative officer over the appeal of the denial by Highwoods, and the approval was the result with the height limitations.

Archived